Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2010, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Just FYI, it's AIT.. The screening clerks would probably get mad if they heard you call it ATI, or the FT norm, Nude-O-Scope..

If you have to opt-out again, make sure your belongings are in your sight while waiting.. If they aren't tell the all mighty clerk that you want to see your belonging, and to pound sand if they refuse. At that point, I might also call for a supervisor, and possibly a LEO..
And unlike AIT, ATI (now part of AMD) has actually added value to the world thru its offerings. Video cards for video game consoles, PCs, and other chips that people actually want to buy. I'm sure they resent being compared to something that's effective and has value.

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Or tell 'em you don't want to be strip-searched, not even virtually.
It's always fun when you tell them that and they try to argue that it's not.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Oct 29, 2010 at 5:38 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Oct 27, 2010, 7:08 pm

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Superguy
It's always fun when you tell them that and they try to argue that it's not.
My all time favorite answer:
I have a very small penis and am very self conscious about it.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 7:47 pm

Programs: United Airlines 1K MM, Hilton Honors Gold
Patted down twice

Last night at ORD, I refused the body scan. After being directed through the metal detector, I was then ordered to stand on the mat while I waited for a female TSA to search me. When she finished, I was made to wait while a supervisor was called. I was told that I needed to be searched again. After several minutes another female arrived and told me that she was "the supervisor" and needed to search me. After the second search where they "used the back of the hand for sensitive areas". I was told I could go. Both searches were cursory and would not have found concealed items. They were not invasive but a huge waste of time. I asked the supervisor why they felt it necessary to search me twice when clearly there were no indications that I was carrying anything dangerous. (I am a 52 year old woman who traveled over 300,000 miles last year, who was wearing a short sleeved silk blouse and pencil skirt). She told me "thats the policy". Has anyone else been patted down 2 times for refusing the body scan? or was it just my unlucky day?
Old Oct 27, 2010, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DAL4550
Last night at ORD, I refused the body scan. After being directed through the metal detector, I was then ordered to stand on the mat while I waited for a female TSA to search me. When she finished, I was made to wait while a supervisor was called. I was told that I needed to be searched again. After several minutes another female arrived and told me that she was "the supervisor" and needed to search me. After the second search where they "used the back of the hand for sensitive areas". I was told I could go. Both searches were cursory and would not have found concealed items. They were not invasive but a huge waste of time. I asked the supervisor why they felt it necessary to search me twice when clearly there were no indications that I was carrying anything dangerous. (I am a 52 year old woman who traveled over 300,000 miles last year, who was wearing a short sleeved silk blouse and pencil skirt). She told me "thats the policy". Has anyone else been patted down 2 times for refusing the body scan? or was it just my unlucky day?
Policy my ***.

It was retaliatory punishment plain and simple. This is why we are fighting. Please you join us?
Old Oct 27, 2010, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
...She told me "that's the policy". Has anyone else been patted down 2 times for refusing the body scan? or was it just my unlucky day?
Redundant pat-downs are an absurd waste of time. The first one was bad enough, but the second served no purpose at all except to humiliate you. That clearly justifies a complaint. And, no, I've never seen or heard of two pat-downs being "policy" of any kind.

Bruce
Old Oct 27, 2010, 9:02 pm

(I am a 52 year old woman who traveled over 300,000 miles last year, who was wearing a short sleeved silk blouse and pencil skirt). She told me "thats the policy". Has anyone else been patted down 2 times for refusing the body scan? or was it just my unlucky day?
You WERE carrying something dangerous - a skirt. At least two of our (absent) TSOs here have said that simply wearing a skirt is grounds for an additional search. This does not appear to be SOP however as it is not practiced everywhere (and note my ORD experience a few posts above yours; I too was wearing a skirt)
Old Oct 27, 2010, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by exbayern
You WERE carrying something dangerous - a skirt. At least two of our (absent) TSOs here have said that simply wearing a skirt is grounds for an additional search. This does not appear to be SOP however as it is not practiced everywhere (and note my ORD experience a few posts above yours; I too was wearing a skirt)
Why would a skirt be grounds for an additional search? Do you remember what reasons the TSOs gave for this policy? The only thing I can think of is that it would be easier to light an underwear bomb.... So the TSA is singling out a huge percentage of the population on the basis of the extremely suspicious activity of wearing a skirt? Actually, this seems really discriminatory. More screening of women on the basis that they are female.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by Ellie M
Why would a skirt be grounds for an additional search? Do you remember what reasons the TSOs gave for this policy? The only thing I can think of is that it would be easier to light an underwear bomb.... So the TSA is singling out a huge percentage of the population on the basis of the extremely suspicious activity of wearing a skirt? Actually, this seems really discriminatory. More screening of women on the basis that they are female.
Skirts and kilts, according to some TSOs here, require a secondary as they are not form fitting. There is an entire thread about kilts here.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 10:01 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by exbayern
Skirts and kilts, according to some TSOs here, require a secondary as they are not form fitting. There is an entire thread about kilts here.
Missing a link...

The other justification from our resident TSO was that a skirt automatically triggers the "bulky" clothing search.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 10:06 pm

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...story-iah.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ou-down-5.html
Old Oct 27, 2010, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by TXagogo
Howdy folks,
Had my first experience with the ATI machine today at SJC and, of course, chose to opt out. I will bullet point my experience for (hopefully!) ease of reading:

1. Barely anyone in the security line. Metal detector line was right next to ATI but since no one was in the ATI line, the agent asked me to come over.
2. I went over, placed all my things in the bin, he asked if my wallet was in my pocket, and then I was directed to go to the ATI.
3. I replied “No thanks” and he stated to the metal detector agent – “Opt out – male assist please”.
4. The metal detector agent (who looked like she just rolled out of bed in her double-wide trailer) said “Sir – YOU wait there” which was next to the metal detector as a few others went through. Definite tone in her voice.
5. I waited approximately 4 minutes while she requested a male assist 3 times into her official spy issue walkie-talkie. (my items, including two laptops and my $2500 watch, were out of my view the entire time)
6. The male agent assigned to do my grope politely asked me to follow him as he gathered my things and brought them to the super special stainless steel table.
7. He explained what he was doing, asked me if I wanted a private screening area which I declined, explained that the backs of his hands would be used over the “groin” and “buttocks”.
8. He was professional about it but I found the procedure to be unnecessarily invasive, though not quite to the point of being obscene. However, I strongly object to any of this on principle.
9. He attempted friendly conversation but I made it very clear I was in no mood for idle banter.
10. He swabbed my computer and said “have a nice day”.

OVERALL: The experience was a waste of everyone’s time and was undoubtedly an infringement on my rights as a law-abiding American. Clearly there are agents out there who will be personally offended when people opt out and they will take advantage of their positions to make you wait and/ or “be punished”. (I think this attitude has the potential to change for the better if more and more people opt out, as it will become way too much time and effort to “punish” everyone). Several thousand dollars worth of personal belongings were out of my sight for a minimum of 5 minutes. The grope was BARELY acceptable as done, although the agent was trying his best to be nice. If the front of hands were used on the private areas it would definitely have crossed the line into criminal sexual assault. I adamantly oppose this entire process and if anyone in the DFW area would like to start a group to pass out flyers, educate the public, or do any kind of grassroots resistance please contact me.

Thanks…
Your story here seems to contradict what man here have said and believe. You didn't have a front hand grab of your genitals.

Per TSA SOP we are to make efforts to have your property in your site at all times, however, the same SOP recognizes it is not always possible.

You do not need to remove your watch, ever. Whether you go through the AIT, WTMD, or refuse both. So next time keep it on.

Last edited by essxjay; Oct 27, 2010 at 10:56 pm Reason: baiting
Old Oct 27, 2010, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Superguy
And unlike AIT, ATI (now part of AMD) has actually added value to the world thru its offerings. Video cards for video game consoles, PCs, and other chips that people actually want to buy. I'm sure they resent being compared to something that's effective and has value.
Maybe the graphics cards in the NoS towers are made by ATI..
Old Oct 27, 2010, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by SATTSO;
You do not need to remove your watch, ever. Whether you go through the AIT, WTMD, or refuse both. So next time keep it on.
Is this new? What if the watch alarms the WTMD or the wand? If it alarms would it need to be x-rayed?

Also can a TSO make a determination that the watch would need to come off?
Old Oct 27, 2010, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by deldel
Is this new? What if the watch alarms the WTMD or the wand? If it alarms would it need to be x-rayed?

Also can a TSO make a determination that the watch would need to come off?
It is not new. I actually "argue" with people to leave their watch on, even if they alarm the WTMD. they will be searched, but it does not have to be removed.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 10:48 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I don't intend to leave on any items that I think will subject me to further scrutiny. My expectation is that I will be processed expeditiously with my personal valuable in my line of sight at all times. If this does not appear likely to happen a supervisor will be summoned.

Yes, my AIT story from today is exactly as happened. I do not intend to exaggerate or embellish my stories in favor of my side of the argument. I intend to past factual information and have the fervent hope and belief that Congress and/or our judiciary system will sort out this disgusting mess in due time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.