Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2010, 9:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by barbell
I have noticed this, as well. I wonder if it's part of the "boiling frog" theory where people get used to seeing it, then when asked to go through it figure it's no big deal.

Which I also noticed with the puffers. I am hopeful, but not certain, that similar technical difficulties are already starting to creep up.

But how? My phone is always out of my reach in these situations - on the x-ray belt. Which is, I believe, a whole other intended layer of citizen submit security kabuki. You see, the good little obedient sheeple go through the WBI, the good little obedient sheeple take off their shoes, the good little obedient sheeple removed their Kippies. If you are without your shoes, without your belongings, you are at a perceived psychological disadvantage, and the TSA set designers know this. It's a design to put people on edge, uncomfortable, and compliant.

All it takes is one truly dangerous person to figure this whole system out, and then we're at Code Red, forever. All a bomber would have to do is comply. Remove shoes, go through the WBI, and be a submissive compliant. It has already been proven that bombs and truly dangerous amounts of explosive powders go unseen and unquestioned by screeners while dangerous bottles of water are removed. Unlike opt outers who assert their rights, these bags go through a cursory scan and then onto the plane.
You demand that the TSA get a LEO immediately - no need to use a phone. They are in the airport already. Refuse to take one step away until the LEO appears and you have explained to him/her that you want to keep your property in your sight and the TSA is refusing to allow you to do so.

Passengers need to go on offense when it comes to calling LEOs.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by barbell
All it takes is one truly dangerous person to figure this whole system out, and then we're at Code Red, forever. All a bomber would have to do is comply. Remove shoes, go through the WBI, and be a submissive compliant. It has already been proven that bombs and truly dangerous amounts of explosive powders go unseen and unquestioned by screeners while dangerous bottles of water are removed. Unlike opt outers who assert their rights, these bags go through a cursory scan and then onto the plane.
I agree since the terrorists already know how to beat these machines they would just go thru them instead of drawing unnecessary attention to themselves. And the TSA mentality of "if you don't want the scan you must be hiding something" plays right into the hands of terrorists by distracting the focus of the TSO away from them and onto passengers who are uncomfortable with this type of strip-search.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by doober
You demand that the TSA get a LEO immediately - no need to use a phone. They are in the airport already. Refuse to take one step away until the LEO appears and you have explained to him/her that you want to keep your property in your sight and the TSA is refusing to allow you to do so.

Passengers need to go on offense when it comes to calling LEOs.
I do wonder what happens if it is a torurist who speak no english or limited english.
Or a deaf person.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 5:13 pm

Programs: Status Free
RDU Terminal 2, Sat, 10/23, 3:45

First time I've flown out of this terminal since May. The security area has been completely revamped, probably in preparation for the opening of the second half of the terminal in Jan.

There are now 4 lanes, each with 2 xray lines (3 passenger lanes, 1 crew lane). Between each lane's xray lines are a WTMD and a NoS, sitting side by side. Not an expert, but I think they are MMW. They are predomininately glass.

I was the only person going through, the terminal was pretty empty. I did see some signage near the NoS, but it was very small and mounted on the top of the stanchions at waist level. I would estimate the size as 8x5. Smaller than a sheet of paper. I could see one had images (front and back) the other had writing too small to read while walking.

There were 4 or 5 clerks working the lane I was in. As I was putting my items on the xray table/rollers, one approached me and asked if I had anything in my pockets. I said I had no pockets. got a smile and a laugh. I took a step toward the WTMD and the same clerk said "over here" and directed me to the NoS. I said "I opt out".

He turned behind him and asked for a female screener, he had a refusal.

I then walked through the WTMD. No alarm. The clerk on the secure side of the WTMD directed me to stand there until the patdown person came. I had full view of my items. Might have been more inconvenient on a busy day, but I was holding no one up.

The patdown clerk was there in less than a minute. She told me not to touch my belongings. She asked me what items were mine (another person had come through during this period). I pointed out the 2 bins and the 2 bags. Because there was no one else being xrayed, the xray clerk helped her carry my items to a table.

The patdown clerk explained every step of the patdown. it was mostly front of hand with a very light touch on my arms, back and legs. Also light touch om my buttocks, but I couldn't see front or back of hands. She did tell me prior, but I forgot what she said.

I am, to quote Maa Ramotswe of the First Ladies Detective Agency, a woman of traditional build No lifting of the breasts. She patted down the top of my chest, then made a curves sweep with the side of her hands about 2 inches below my breasts. No lifting. No checking under my fat. No checking of the waistband. No feeling up in the groin.

The clerk was professional through out. Entire procedure took about 5 min. I was very early and, as stated previously, the checkpoint was virtually deserted.

May well be different around the holidays. For example, she would probably not have help carrying my things to the patdown area. She was a petite woman, my suitcase alone would have crushed her!
Old Oct 24, 2010, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by gatelouse
Quick tip: when a TSO barks, "Take everything out of your pockets!"...hang on to your wallet since you're going to opt-out anyway. It doesn't trigger the WTMD, and it stays where it should--in my pocket, not 50 feet away, unsecured, at the end of an X-ray belt. Prior to the pat-pat, inform TSO of the wallet. No one's ever complained...nor should they.
At TPA they went through my wallet by hand. I didn't opt out, and I had the wallet in my hand for the NoS. First and last time I'm doing that. They were still patting down the chest of everybody after the NoS.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 12:41 pm

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by hellosopo
At TPA they went through my wallet by hand. I didn't opt out, and I had the wallet in my hand for the NoS. First and last time I'm doing that. They were still patting down the chest of everybody after the NoS.
First off, my personal welcome to Flyertalk!

I'm glad to see that you discovered what many of us here know. The Nude-O-Scopes are pretty ineffective. Being dependent on low level reviewers (a WORLD away from radiologists), we get lots of false positives, and probably an equal or larger number of false negatives.
How can they distinguish a Depends or menstrual pad from a form fitting powder bomb? They let them pass, that's how. We have a lot of other important issues about Nude-O-Scopes as well. You can read some of the other threads here. Important info for you at http://DontScan.me if you haven't read it yet.

Given a historical probability of explosives being carried is about 1 on 10 BILLION (twice in 10 years - None in the US), and their known score for missing things intentionally planted for tests, this is an extreme exercise in FUTILITY, that only our government could conduct.

Statistically, they are not going to stop the next terrorist attack, no matter how much money they throw at it.

I know the politicians are tacitly in favor of this madness, but how can our scientists and advisers allow this level of fear mongering, stupidity, wasteful spending, privacy intrusion in our (broke) government? It will settle in the Courts, the sooner the better!
Old Oct 24, 2010, 2:57 pm

Programs: US G, AA G, HHonors Silver
Flying from YHZ and was randomly selected for WBI - as others have reported, they did ask if you wanted to opt out, but from their reaction most accepted.

Interesting thing was that if you opted out, no one else was allowed to go through the WTMD during the pat down or testing on my carry-on (belt for carry-ons stopped, too). Not sure if this was to protect belongings (I could see them the whole time), but very infefficient (especially when my father opted out 3 people behind me).

Last edited by NoVaRS; Oct 24, 2010 at 2:57 pm Reason: typo
Old Oct 24, 2010, 3:03 pm

Programs: OnePass
Originally Posted by ediemac1
snip!
Thank you for the RDU report. I will be flying out of there on business in a couple of weeks and want to know what to expect.

Fortunately, the rest of my flights over the next 8 weeks are out of Terminal 1 at RDU (Contintental FTL) and I won't have to worry about NoS in that terminal.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 5:24 pm

Delta Gates DCA

Flew F on Delta this week out of DCA. The F security line and the rightmost standard line dump into a security area that only has a NoS and a WTMD. When I went through, everyone was directed to the NoS unless the NoS was occupied, in which case the WTMD was used for screening.

Knowing that I was either going to opt out or do the WTMD, I kept my wallet and some other things in my pockets. When my turn came, the NoS was empty, I was directed to the NoS, and I opted out. I waited at a metal gate to the left of the NoS until the smurfs could find someone willing to do a grope.

The smurf who lost out and had to do the grope was a kid who wasn't more than 20. He politely asked if I had every had a "pat down" before, and I said I hadn't. At that point he said that he was going to touch my clothes, which he did very lightly. His grope didn't involve the crotch at all.

After the gloves were tested, I was on my way.

Evidently the grope isn't standardized across TSAland.....
Old Oct 24, 2010, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA, AA, VS, SQ, AS
Sorry to be so naive, but what's a LEO?

putongo

Originally Posted by DevilDog438
As soon as they threatened calling the police, I would have said "I'll change that threat under color of government authority to a private citizen action - I am demanding the presence of a LEO immediately."
Old Oct 24, 2010, 5:48 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by putongo

putongo
Law Enforcement Officer

As an FYI - Cholula maintains a sticky on this forum that provides definitions for many of the common terms here in TS/S.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 5:48 pm

Programs: OnePass

putongo
Law Enforcement Officer (aka, police officer)
Old Oct 24, 2010, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver

putongo
Law Enforcement Officer. The guys with actual arrest power (& guns).
Old Oct 24, 2010, 8:24 pm

Programs: Amtrak S+, HH GLD, AA 1MM, SPG, UA, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by OldGoat
Flew F on Delta this week out of DCA. The F security line and the rightmost standard line dump into a security area that only has a NoS and a WTMD. When I went through, everyone was directed to the NoS unless the NoS was occupied, in which case the WTMD was used for screening...
Welcome to FlyerTalk OldGoat, and thanks for the detailed report! Glad your experience went well.

P.S. Can one stick to the leftmost lines to avoid the NoS entirely, or are there others dotting this checkpoint?
Old Oct 24, 2010, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by Critic
Law Enforcement Officer. The guys with actual arrest power (& guns).
And usually the only people there with brain power and common sense

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.