Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2010, 9:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
The main screw up was back at security - it was a 'breach' to allow me through without secondary, since I had the quad S on my card.

I was a little annoyed with the flight crew too. My second bag was the smallest possible garment bag you can imagine with one pair of pants and one shirt. I asked if they could hang it in F and they said no. Now I had to go to baggage claim to retrieve it when I landed. Oh well.

Another side note - one of the TSO's commented that quad S is starting to come back again, and that they were going to have to retrain security to be on the look out for it and send quad S's to secondary.
Nonsense. A "breach"??? Come on now Who cares if you have SSSS - heck, I used to use Liquid Paper and a photocopier to remove those from my home-printed BPs.

The UA system has no idea whether or not you've been given a secondary - who knows why it beeped. You could have just lied to the agent and told them you were 'fully inspected'.

What exactly did the TSA buffoon do with your shoes at the gate? Use his x-ray vision to check them for hidden explosives?

Nobody did the "right thing" - they wasted your time and my money.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:20 pm

SSSS & the TSA in DEN

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Nonsense. A "breach"??? Come on now Who cares if you have SSSS - heck, I used to use Liquid Paper and a photocopier to remove those from my home-printed BPs.

The UA system has no idea whether or not you've been given a secondary - who knows why it beeped. You could have just lied to the agent and told them you were 'fully inspected'.

What exactly did the TSA buffoon do with your shoes at the gate? Use his x-ray vision to check them for hidden explosives?

Nobody did the "right thing" - they wasted your time and my money.
Well... I agree it was an unenjoyable waste of 5 people's time. And therefore money.

I don't lie to the GA's or the TSA... I guess somebody with bad intent would though and they wouldn't know any better. So in essence the system burdens honest people while not necessarily deterring the dishonest ones.

I also look unfavorably on modifying a BP and would not do it myself... (and in this case, .bomb let me OLCI but would not let me print or send to mobile. Sounds like they closed that hole in the system...)

I understand some of the dissatisfaction with TSA and their people, policies, and procedures. But what is a workable - safe and effecient - alternative? Boca - you're clearly among the most seasoned travellers here - what is the ideal balance between safety / effeciency / lack of personal intrusion? (I'll go look for this thread on FT after I hit send.)

The did a very thorough visual inspection of my shoes (and belt and luggage). What did that accomplish? Draw your own conclusions...
Old Oct 13, 2010, 7:33 pm

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
One of the best replies I have heard when a smurf asks you why you opted out:
One TSA guy at the front asked me why I opted out. My reply was basically "Are you kidding? One of your own TSA people is about to go to jail for kicking the .... out of a co-worker who mercilessly teased him about penis size after everybody got scanned during a training exercise. Why would I want some juvenile TSA bozo looking at my junk?"

He didn't really have a response.
Memorize this - It's the best response yet!^^
Old Oct 14, 2010, 3:34 am

Programs: DL PL, Hertz #1CG
Manchester Airport body scanners to become compulsory

All people flying out of Manchester Airport will have to pass through body scanners by the end of October, it has been announced.

The equipment will be installed in all three security areas, making it compulsory for every air passenger.
Anyone able to tell me if the UK has the same 'opt out' option as the US?

I've avoided the NOS most of this year, except in AMS, where they were forcing everyone through them AND doing full pat downs. On a TATL to MSP.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 3:39 am

Programs: TK*G, Delta Gold
As far as I'm informed (source: various European newspapers a while ago) the NoS in LHR and Manchester (where already installed) are used on "randomly" selected persons and are compulsory for the selectees. No opt-out if you have the wrong nose/skin color/ethnicity.
Therefore I do not fly from/to/via LHR and Manchester.

If they change it now from selectees to everyone I don't think they will add an "opt-out", though I'd hope they would and allow me to use the airport again.

Last edited by Zeehe; Oct 14, 2010 at 3:40 am Reason: added last sentence.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by minemapper
Manchester Airport body scanners to become compulsory

Anyone able to tell me if the UK has the same 'opt out' option as the US?

I've avoided the NOS most of this year, except in AMS, where they were forcing everyone through them AND doing full pat downs. On a TATL to MSP.
The linked article says

Not every passenger has to go through the body scanners. At first they go through a "Smartgate" which acts like a metal detector.
I don't see where it contradicts that statement and says that all passengers must go through the scanner. Did I miss that in the article?

I am however disturbed by the apparent lack of concern about this in the UK. Someone did link a website which had some negative messages, but this seems to have gained quick acceptance.

I will continue to report my UK experiences - I am safe to date at LHR, EDI, GLA, CWL and haven't seen a NoS yet at those airports (although they do exist at some terminals at some of those airports)
Old Oct 14, 2010, 11:12 am

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by Wimpie
One of the best replies I have heard when a smurf asks you why you opted out:

Memorize this - It's the best response yet!^^
Yeah, I think I'll print a copy of the article to carry with me. Sheesh.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL PL, Hertz #1CG
Better eyes than me exbayern.

Manchester Airport body scanners "not compulsory"

Manchester Airport has denied reports that it is making controversial body scans compulsory for all passengers from the end of the month.

Reports out this morning (October 14) appear to have been sparked by the airport’s announcement that is to install scanners at all three of its security areas.

But a Manchester spokesperson told Business Traveller that the scanners, which have the ability to see through clothing, will remain a “secondary device” replacing the traditional pat down hand search.
Article
Old Oct 14, 2010, 12:24 pm

Programs: TK*G, Delta Gold
minemapper thanks for the clarification.

So does that mean that for selected persons the NoS will stay compulsory without a chance of opting-out? Same question for LHR.

Any other airports where, under certain circumstances, opting-out of NoS is not possible? If so, time to up-date my no-fly list

Last edited by Zeehe; Oct 14, 2010 at 12:24 pm Reason: Added last sentence.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by Zeehe
minemapper thanks for the clarification.

So does that mean that for selected persons the NoS will stay compulsory without a chance of opting-out? Same question for LHR.

Any other airports where, under certain circumstances, opting-out of NoS is not possible? If so, time to up-date my no-fly list
Somewhere is a thread re WBI and non-US airports. I will see if I can dig it up for you. It includes correspondance from UK airport authorities to a FTer re the non-opt out option.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 12:41 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by exbayern
Somewhere is a thread re WBI and non-US airports. I will see if I can dig it up for you. It includes correspondance from UK airport authorities to a FTer re the non-opt out option.
Very helpful of you, exbayern. Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 12:56 pm

Here is a thread re LHR and opt-out/not:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...s-opt-out.html

and here re international WBI use:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-scanners.html
Old Oct 17, 2010, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA Gold; 1MM; Marriot Lifetime Platinum
First Opt Out experience today

I was flying Tampa to Charlotte and got directed to the Nude-O-Scope. Other than principle, I've had two CT scans in the past month...if I can control ANY unecessary radiation, I'll do so.

I notified the guy I was opting out..he pointed me to wait near him and called for a female assist "for a refusal". Female TSA'r showed up within three minutes and led me to the penalty box and politely explained everything she was going to do and asked if I had sensitive spots. Having worked with Army MPs in the past, I'm not uncomfortable being patted down unlike many folks who have posted here, so I really don't care.

She was polite/friendly and did nothing to make me uncomfortable. I offered that I preferred to Opt Out due to radiation given my past. She suggested it was Radio Wave emanations similiar to what comes with cell phone usage but then admitted she did not truly understand the technology (which I give her credit for). I told her I have worked for the government for the past 24 years and don't trust what they say about the safety of the devices..we've got too much previous history where things were'nt quite what goverment officials said they were. She thanked me, I got my stuff and that was it.

Overall, quick and easy and polite. May it be this way in the future.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 4:43 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lianluo

. . . .

Overall, quick and easy and polite. May it be this way in the future.
I am happy that your experience was not traumatic. Neither of mine have been either.

But, please allow me to disagree with the statement above.

It is inherently wrong that we should be treated to a search that can not be done on a criminal suspect without legal probable cause a crime has been committed just to enter into and complete a private contract of carriage to move my sorry butt from one place in the country to another.

Personally, I hope it is gone in the future. Forever.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 10:37 pm

Programs: Amtrak S+, HH GLD, AA 1MM, SPG, UA, TSA Disparager Gold
Experiment, anyone?

The next time you're directed to a nude-o-scope, can you try something along these lines to the TSO?

"How about directing me through the WTMD instead? Otherwise we have to go through the formal opt-out procedures and create more work for everyone."

I'd like to see someone try this because I had a near-miss with a TPA NoS myself a while ago. I was asked to take everything out of my pockets, which typically signals a NoS selection. While I did, I asked the TSO, "You're not sending me that way, right?" while pointing to the NoS. He replied, "No," and directed me to the WTMD.

I wonder to this day whether I talked my way out of the NoS...without having to "opt-out" formally.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.