Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2011, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by BiPolarMoment
Yeah I was about that far before I realized what was going on--I have no excuse for going through with it unless you count the 4 hours of sleep. I'll know better next time though and make sure it doesn't even get that far.

I'm still a little dumbfounded that the agent(s) didn't mention anything about the purpose for switching lines--the experience at the regional airport was very clear about what they were asking me to do. I know it's likely related to the volume of passengers but it doesn't give me any solace recognizing that.
Not all. Not everyone is a frequent flier. And until the casual fliers really start to fight this, the TSA will just put up with the "troublemakers". It's when the masses resist that they're going to have problems.

This is how you learned more and now know more for the next time. Always remember, they will are trying to tell you "it's to allow you to fly safely". For 98% of these folks, it's a job and that's it. Your fellow passengers are your best defense against in-air attacks than the TSA will ever be.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by BubbaLoop
Had my first opt-out today. I guess my self-opt-out luck had to run out someday.

Walked around the metal detector (how stupid is that?). Rub was done by a nice older lady who confessed her dislike for backscatter during the process. Said they kept sending e-mails saying they were safe, which made her worried. I told her that as an MD I though she should be worried and at the very least demand a dosimeter.

She did not put her hands in my pants, maybe because I asked her if she would. She patted my hair, but refrained from running her fingers through it (lucky for her - she could have lost a finger in there). Rubbed down the rest of me rather lightly, but including at least 4 labia touches. No colar check or anything else.

Less worse than being virtually strip-searched using ionizing radiation and viewed by an unseen stranger, but still not acceptable in terms of airport security.
You could tell the person not to touch your genitals. That would back off most normal people. Or stir up the psycho ones... I know folks don't like to be confrontational, but don't let them get away with this unscathed....
Old Nov 18, 2011, 4:23 am

IAD, you are a national disgrace and an insult to international travellers.

The TDC didn't recognise my ID, so she passed it down to another TDC, who asked 'What territory?' In my mind I thought 'Bav... WAIT! trick question? Is this a BDO? There are federal states in Germany, not territories. Does he think that Germany is a territory of the EU, and is asking me the name of the country? It says it on the passport...'

He asked again 'Which US terrority is this?' which completely confused me, so I asked politely if he had a supervisor. I was told that the list of accepted ID is SSI and is kept in the office so I would have to wait. After several minutes no supervisor arrived, so another TDC walked my boarding pass and ID to the next checkpoint entrance, waved it in the air, and had approval in under two seconds. He then leisurely strolled back.

My ID and boarding pass were returned with 'We've never seen one of those before', but no apology for the delay or thank you for waiting.

I tried to without luck to find a lane where BSX was not fired up for use, and found the last lane staffed entirely by women, with the first woman wearing a head scarf. Thinking that this may be a more sympathetic lane, I went in line, ready to decline the BSX.

I was waved through the WTMD, and my skirt and I went on our way, without pat down or scan.

(Then of course I had to battle my way into the United Club as I met yet another person seriously lacking in geography skills, who did not understand that 'international' meant outside of the US. Or perhaps she just went to the same school as the TDC and thought that Germany is a US territory)
Old Nov 18, 2011, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Was it a German passport or your national ID card (Personalausweis) you presented? The Personalausweis is not acceptable ID at TSA checkpoints.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 4:34 am

Passport... This is the second time this year I have heard 'we have never seen one of those before' Earlier this year they wanted to take mine and the one from the Swiss traveller with me to photocopy for training purposes.

This isn't a small airport such as GRR (actually, GRR has a lot of Germans travelling there and they are very German-friendly), it's the capital of the United States of America, with masses of international travellers coming through here every single day, showing their passports at the TDC.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Sigh. I wonder how US citizens would feel if a FRA security screening officer said loudly on being presented with a US passport, "Diese Reisepaß ist nicht gültig für Eintritt im Sicherheitskontrol" (except without my bad grammar).

Of course, this wouldn't happen, because you don't need to show ID to go through security at FRA, and FRA doesn't seem to employ rude and incompetent security screeners.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 5:33 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by exbayern

'we have never seen one of those before'....
This has become the standard excuse when they want to refuse my US issued NEXUS. I reply, "Your not having seen one does not invalidate it as a proper ID."

I'm sorry you got this treatment but thankful it was finally resolved. FT rules prevents my applying an appropriate and accurate adjective to the description of the TDC.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by stifle
...Of course, this wouldn't happen, because you don't need to show ID to go through security at FRA, and FRA doesn't seem to employ rude and incompetent security screeners.
You couldn't find enough "rude and incompetent" people in Germany to staff security checkpoints at an airport as large as FRA. It's simply impossible. Only in America do we have so many people with those qualifications. Too bad for us.

Bruce
Old Nov 18, 2011, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by exbayern
Passport... This is the second time this year I have heard 'we have never seen one of those before' Earlier this year they wanted to take mine and the one from the Swiss traveller with me to photocopy for training purposes.

This isn't a small airport such as GRR (actually, GRR has a lot of Germans travelling there and they are very German-friendly), it's the capital of the United States of America, with masses of international travellers coming through here every single day, showing their passports at the TDC.
Which was clearly a lie since these people obviously never receive any training.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 8:52 am

This week's travels....

YUL: SSSS first time, description here.

EWR: Opt out, get patdown. False positive on ETD. Young TSO seems embarrassed and calls supervisor. Supervisor shows up, explains procedure. Full swab on everything - negative. Then we go to little frosted-glass cubicle. I asked whether that was required and they said yes. Patdown not much more thorough than previous, and this time ETD is also negative. During patdown the TSOs made bit of small talk, nothing too intrusive. I decided to play along as I didn't see a benefit not to. They did insist on photocopying my boarding pass, but not my ID.

DEN: Opt out, get patdown. This is done by an elderly TSO, who was very friendly, very light massage, no swabbing of belongings, and done.

PHX: Self opt out. I managed to time things so that I got to go through the WTMD!
Old Nov 18, 2011, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
This has become the standard excuse when they want to refuse my US issued NEXUS. I reply, "Your not having seen one does not invalidate it as a proper ID."

I'm sorry you got this treatment but thankful it was finally resolved. FT rules prevents my applying an appropriate and accurate adjective to the description of the TDC.
They did actually pull out a small booklet with countries listed by name (they were messing around in the 'V' section for a few seconds ) but then put it away, and one said to me 'It's sort of like the owner's manual; the master list of accepted IDs is in the back office'

???

I'm really honestly baffled by this nonsense. Were they confused because the passport doesn't say the name of the country in English? We're not talking about a somewhat unknown country, and even the name in local language is well known, I would think.

I did pass on my experience to a German colleague shortly thereafter, and I am quite certain based on his reaction that the story has spread very quickly around our circle!
Old Nov 18, 2011, 7:06 pm

Programs: their are many of them
I hope I don't have to go through the nudie machine at DCA tomorrow

Maybe I go through in the AA concourse and then head over to US
Old Nov 18, 2011, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by TWAB747nomore
I hope I don't have to go through the nudie machine at DCA tomorrow

Maybe I go through in the AA concourse and then head over to US
Or you can always opt-out if selected... You don't have to go through the Nude-O-Scope, despite what a clerk that was hired from a pizza box may tell you...

Last edited by FriendlySkies; Nov 18, 2011 at 7:25 pm Reason: typo
Old Nov 18, 2011, 7:22 pm

Programs: their are many of them
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Or you can always opt-out if selected... You don't have to go through the Nude-O-Scope, despite what clerk that was hired from a pizza box may tell you...
OMG really?

i know i don't have to go through ..... i just prefer to select who touches or plays around with the crown jewels
Old Nov 18, 2011, 11:10 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Opted out at PDX

I was going through PDX checkpoint that leads to Concourse ABC about 2:30 today. They had lines for the NOS and for the metal detector. As I got to the metal detector the TSO closed it off so we all had to go through the NOS.

I said, "I'm not going through that thing."
He said, "so you're opting out?"
me "yep"
tso "you know sir this machine uses radio waves and not x-ray"
me "what school did you get your Phd in radio wave technology from?"
tso on radio "opt out lane 3"
tso "you know you're subject to an invasive pat down search?"
me "which one is more invasive? peaking through my clothes or feeling me up?'
tso on radio "opt out lane 3"
Finally a two striper showed up
two striper "sir this machine uses radio waves instead of x-ray."
me "just give me the pat down so I can get home."

He was very nice through the process.

I made sure to make eye contact and smiled at the other pax who were watching my pat down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.