FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]
Old Nov 18, 2011, 4:23 am
exbayern

IAD, you are a national disgrace and an insult to international travellers.

The TDC didn't recognise my ID, so she passed it down to another TDC, who asked 'What territory?' In my mind I thought 'Bav... WAIT! trick question? Is this a BDO? There are federal states in Germany, not territories. Does he think that Germany is a territory of the EU, and is asking me the name of the country? It says it on the passport...'

He asked again 'Which US terrority is this?' which completely confused me, so I asked politely if he had a supervisor. I was told that the list of accepted ID is SSI and is kept in the office so I would have to wait. After several minutes no supervisor arrived, so another TDC walked my boarding pass and ID to the next checkpoint entrance, waved it in the air, and had approval in under two seconds. He then leisurely strolled back.

My ID and boarding pass were returned with 'We've never seen one of those before', but no apology for the delay or thank you for waiting.

I tried to without luck to find a lane where BSX was not fired up for use, and found the last lane staffed entirely by women, with the first woman wearing a head scarf. Thinking that this may be a more sympathetic lane, I went in line, ready to decline the BSX.

I was waved through the WTMD, and my skirt and I went on our way, without pat down or scan.

(Then of course I had to battle my way into the United Club as I met yet another person seriously lacking in geography skills, who did not understand that 'international' meant outside of the US. Or perhaps she just went to the same school as the TDC and thought that Germany is a US territory)