Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2011, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Fredd
a woman nearby who was being referred for a search after having just set off the MMW.

The woman mentioned with annoyance that she had pins in her legs and always set it off, resulting in a search every time.
Pins in her legs UNDER HER SKIN shouldn't be setting off the MMW machine. I wonder if it was something else that was causing concern with her. (Either that, or the TSA lies to us. No, that couldn't be!)

Originally Posted by KDS
We went on with the patdown, and this is where the new "always been this way" procedure came into being. He ran his fingers inside the waistband in front of my trousers twice... I asked why? He said because I had my shirt tucked in.

I asked when this new procedure started, and was told it's always been this way. I said, in over four years of almost weekly flying, I've never seen this procedure before. He essentially tells me I'm not telling the truth, and that no other passengers have ever said that to him. I said, not any more they haven't, because I just did.
I get varying degrees of 'fingers on the inside of the waistband' just about every time. Last time, I even had to lift up my top a little so she could access the waistband without going under my shirt.

I think I'm getting about 50% on them touching my not-shoulder-length fairly flat hair.

I SOOOO wish that they'd implemented MMW machines as SECONDARY to WTMDs. My bra sets of the WTMD*, and in THAT case I'd be ok with going through a MMW machine (but not a BSX machine) to clear the alarm - but I'm NOT ok with it as a primary device.

(*and No, I'm not switching bras. It's hard enough for me to find ones that fit and support correctly, I'm not going to add a criteria that they are TSA-safe as well)
Old Dec 6, 2011, 8:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, AS MVP Gold 100K, AS MM, Avis First
Odd opt out last Saturday at SJC.

The WTMD was open when I got in line...but as usual (sigh) it was closed when I was almost on it! The gentleman in front of me was told to go to the NOS and I was told to go there as well. I opted out and the gentleman in front of me asked what that was. I told him you do not need to go through the machine you can opt out and go through the WTMD and then be patted down. He also opted out (as did the gentleman behind me after hearing our conversation).

After opting out...we were told that we had to WALK THROUGH THE NOS ANYWAY. The gentlemen who had also opted out began to go through and I said in a loud voice...I'm not going through there...WE OPTED OUT. The TSO told us they 'didn't have the clicker' and we would be patted down after we walked through the NOS. I told them NO...I'll go through the WTMD then get the pat down.

The TSO grudgingly opened the WTMD and asked for two male and one female assists. What's up with telling us that we had to walk through the NOS after the opt out?
Old Dec 6, 2011, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by 95037
What's up with telling us that we had to walk through the NOS after the opt out?
In a word, retaliation.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 9:31 pm

SDOO win for me on Sunday, Dec 4 by doing a reverse chat down.

Two security line opens and of course the backscatter was backlogged. When three people piled up to be radiated, people were directed to the WTMD. Not wanting my friend to be put through the scanner, I timed it so she would be guaranteed to go through the WTMD. Two families with tons of baggage caused a backup at both x-ray belts and screening practically stopped. This went on long enough to clear the WBI line.

Thinking fast I started chatting down the moat dragon during the wait. Put on my best fake smile and started a lively debate on local sporting events. The xray belt started moving again and the TSO was told to start letting people through. Just as he was pointing at the backscatter line and trying to get a word in edgewise, I told him, "HIGH FIVE FOR THE TEAM!" In shock he raised his hand as I stepped forward and gave him a hearty high five. Without breaking stride, I waltzed through the WTMD and onto freedom before he could react.

PM me for those wanting more details.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 9:31 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Originally Posted by 95037
Odd opt out last Saturday at SJC.

The WTMD was open when I got in line...but as usual (sigh) it was closed when I was almost on it! The gentleman in front of me was told to go to the NOS and I was told to go there as well. I opted out and the gentleman in front of me asked what that was. I told him you do not need to go through the machine you can opt out and go through the WTMD and then be patted down. He also opted out (as did the gentleman behind me after hearing our conversation).

After opting out...we were told that we had to WALK THROUGH THE NOS ANYWAY. The gentlemen who had also opted out began to go through and I said in a loud voice...I'm not going through there...WE OPTED OUT. The TSO told us they 'didn't have the clicker' and we would be patted down after we walked through the NOS. I told them NO...I'll go through the WTMD then get the pat down.

The TSO grudgingly opened the WTMD and asked for two male and one female assists. What's up with telling us that we had to walk through the NOS after the opt out?
Good for you! ^
Old Dec 6, 2011, 11:44 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by WChou
Thinking fast I started chatting down the moat dragon during the wait. Put on my best fake smile and started a lively debate on local sporting events. The xray belt started moving again and the TSO was told to start letting people through. Just as he was pointing at the backscatter line and trying to get a word in edgewise, I told him, "HIGH FIVE FOR THE TEAM!" In shock he raised his hand as I stepped forward and gave him a hearty high five. Without breaking stride, I waltzed through the WTMD and onto freedom before he could react.
For literally the first time in my ENTIRE life, I find myself wishing I knew something about sports. Well done. ^^^
Old Dec 10, 2011, 8:18 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
I opted out yesterday from the scanner. In the process, I was prevented from seeing my bags - I was told I had to wait on the pre-screening side of the x-ray machine while my bags went through. When I complained (and then complained to a supervisor), I was basically told 'too bad'. I got a comment card & the supervisor's name. The back says I can (a) give it to a supervisor, (b) drop it in a drop box, or (c) mail it in to 'insert address here' (literally). I wasn't about to sit around at the checkpoint and deal with them, so I've still got the card with me.

Otherwise it was a relatively professional process.

What do I do with the card? Of course, they didn't bother to put the address on it...
Old Dec 10, 2011, 9:10 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TBD
I opted out yesterday from the scanner. In the process, I was prevented from seeing my bags - I was told I had to wait on the pre-screening side of the x-ray machine while my bags went through. When I complained (and then complained to a supervisor), I was basically told 'too bad'. I got a comment card & the supervisor's name. The back says I can (a) give it to a supervisor, (b) drop it in a drop box, or (c) mail it in to 'insert address here' (literally). I wasn't about to sit around at the checkpoint and deal with them, so I've still got the card with me.

Otherwise it was a relatively professional process.

What do I do with the card? Of course, they didn't bother to put the address on it...
I would have moved to where I could see my bags. I say "I am going to move where I can see my belongings," and then I do. I do not ask. I just position myself to see them. They do not like it. Too bad.

Before someone accuses me of being all talk and internet anonymous, I have done it several times. It is uncomfortable, but it is their SOP.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 7:13 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
I would have moved to where I could see my bags. I say "I am going to move where I can see my belongings," and then I do. I do not ask. I just position myself to see them. They do not like it. Too bad.

Before someone accuses me of being all talk and internet anonymous, I have done it several times. It is uncomfortable, but it is their SOP.
In this particular situation & layout, I'm not sure I could have done that without crossing through the metal detector to the other side. That didn't seem like a good idea.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 7:57 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TBD
In this particular situation & layout, I'm not sure I could have done that without crossing through the metal detector to the other side. That didn't seem like a good idea.
"I need to go through the metal detector to see my belongings. I will wait just on the other side where I can see. Thanks."

Then I will go.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 5:24 am

Mixed emotions about my ORD experience.

The BSX was primary, WTMD was not in use. Only two people (women my age) opted out; wait time in the elite lane was 20+ minutes.

Lots and LOTS of shouting and screaming.

Just before it was my turn, there was an announcement, with extra loud shouting to ensure that 'you people all the way in the back can hear me!'. What was the critical announcement which required this level of screaming?

A man in a tacky tie. Seriously. A TSO had to announce to the crowd that at least one passenger was in the holiday spirit by wearing a snowman tie or some such thing.

I took that moment of general inattention on the part of the TSOs to walk through the WTMD. My dangerous skirt and furrin' passport didn't garner any attention so I picked up my bags and left.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Silly exbayern, the self opt-out thread is down the hall and third door on the left!
Old Dec 11, 2011, 9:58 am

Don't go confusing me as I was so proud of my ability to avoid having to opt out of the BSX!
Old Dec 11, 2011, 5:16 pm
Used to be Sydneysider

Programs: AS MVP/Gold (and 75K aspirant)
Originally Posted by KDS

I asked when this new procedure started, and was told it's always been this way. I said, in over four years of almost weekly flying, I've never seen this procedure before. He essentially tells me I'm not telling the truth, and that no other passengers have ever said that to him.
"We are at war with Eastasia. We have always been at war with Eastasia."
Old Dec 11, 2011, 7:55 pm

Flew SEA-MIA and back last week.

SEA at 6:20 AM appeared to be in the midst of a shift change. I was all set for the opt-out, and they just waved everyone through the standard metal detector, with a couple of pat downs for show. By 6:35 (we had time to kill), all the naked-scanners were in use.

Heard such horrible things about MIA -- yet in the American Airlines terminal, they weren't using the naked scanner at all - roped off and turned off. We used the line all the way to the left; the line on the right was having a grope-the-old-lady day, feeling up blue-hairs, a couple of whom were quite vocal in their displeasure. If I can bypass the whole BS, it's worth flying on AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.