Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SOP discussion

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2009, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by Trollkiller
I imagine Blogger Bob is busy giving the bosses a crash course in using PDFs.
PDFs- I think I wore those sneakers when I was a kid.... Poor BB, just think what he has to contend with.

Last edited by IslandBased; Dec 9, 2009 at 2:48 pm
Old Dec 9, 2009, 2:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Spiff
This is an excellent time to write your elected representatives and ask them to disband the TSA once and for all:

https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml

http://www.senate.gov/reference/comm...t_senators.htm
I've already done so - unfortunately, if I ever do get a response from any one of the three, it will be about another topic entirely, such a health care.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 2:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Trollkiller
Just setting the ball into motion. As long as the document was just being talked about to FT there was no harm done to the TSA. By alerting them it caused them react from a position of panic. Kinda of like the reaction you get when you catch someone with their pants down.

Once they reacted then there was a real story.
I can accept that reasoning.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, AA, B6, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, SPG
Originally Posted by doober
I can accept that reasoning.
+1
Old Dec 9, 2009, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by BarbiJKM
It's been publicly reported that five people have been placed on administrative leave. http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...w141527S51.DTL

Five Transportation Security Administration employees have been placed on administrative leave since it was discovered that sensitive guidelines about airport passenger screening were posted on the Internet.

The move was disclosed as senators questioned administration officials Wednesday about the second embarrassing security flap at the Homeland Security Department in as many weeks. The Secret Service, also part of the sprawling department, is investigating how a couple of would-be reality TV stars were able to get into a White House state dinner without an invitation.

Assistant Homeland Security secretary David Heyman told senators Wednesday that a full investigation into the Internet security lapse is under way and the TSA employees have been taken off duty pending the results of that probe. He did not say how many employees were put on leave. A TSA official who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the ongoing investigation said five employees were placed on administrative leave Tuesday.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...#ixzz0ZE6SOfa6
More reason to believe that warning1369 could have issues if he believes what the TSA may do to those hosting the SOP. Based on the time line, he disclosed the number of employees placed on admin leave before it hit the wires. In addition, Heyman didn't disclose the number; it took an anonymous source to do so. As such, the TSA must consider that info to be rather confidential.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by ND Sol
More reason to believe that warning1369 could have issues if he believes what the TSA may do to those hosting the SOP. Based on the time line, he disclosed the number of employees placed on admin leave before it hit the wires. In addition, Heyman didn't disclose the number; it took an anonymous source to do so. As such, the TSA must consider that info to be rather confidential.
Perhaps it takes five people working together at TSA to successfully post a document to the internet. That could be potentially embarrassing, especially if all that effort was for the wrong document.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 3:14 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by IslandBased
Perhaps it takes five people working together at TSA to successfully post a document to the internet. That could be potentially embarrassing.
Sort of like the joke that got a Czech comedian a prison term?

Question: Why does the KGB send their agents out in teams of three?
Ans: One can read. One can write. The third keeps an eye on the two intellectuals.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by AngryMiller
Sort of like the joke that got a Czech comedian a prison term?

Question: Why does the KGB send their agents out in teams of three?
Ans: One can read. One can write. The third keeps an eye on the two intellectuals.
^^ Same concept...
Old Dec 9, 2009, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm wondering if BB is ready to resume the discussion of Britney's cup of ice?
Old Dec 9, 2009, 3:22 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
He wishes it was 100,000 more questions about that silly cup of ice instead of this mess. Suspect that some of the posts are vitriolic enough to eat right through his screen.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
He might want to roll things back even further, to when he was still a traveling musician.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 4:05 pm

It looks like the backtracking has begun. From the TSA.gov website as an official statement released today:

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) recognizes an outdated, unclassified version of a Standard Operating Procedures document was improperly posted by the agency to the Federal Business Opportunities Web site wherein redacted information was not properly protected.‪‪ Once we were made aware, it was immediately taken down from the Web site and a full review by TSA’s Office of Inspection was initiated.

This version of the document was not the everyday screening manual used by Transportation Security Officers at airport checkpoints. As TSA is constantly adapting to address evolving threats, there have been six newer versions of the procedures since the version posted was approved.
[emphasis added]
That statement would appear to contradict Blogger Bob's quote from yesterday:

The version of the document that was posted was neither implemented nor issued to the workforce.
So now it would appear that the TSA is indirectly admitting that this was an official SOP. Blogger Bob's statement was either not true or, at best, misleading.

I guess when the TSA realized that a FOIA request had been fulfilled with this exact same SOP and that the RFP used this as an SOP, the ruse of still claiming it was never implemented became a bigger problem than admitting it was in effect at one time. But for those two issues, the TSA might still be saying that it was never in effect.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff
AP News Article

"WASHINGTON — An Obama administration official says some Transportation Security Administration employees have been placed on administrative leave after it was discovered that sensitive guidelines about airport passenger screening were posted on the Internet.

Assistant Homeland Security secretary David Heyman has told senators a full investigation into the security lapse is under way. Heyman says the Homeland Security Department is stopping the posting of documents with sensitive security information either in full or in part on the Internet until the TSA review is complete."
Now will the TSA stop and refuse to post anything to keep us in the dark about everything that the TSA is doing by saying that the TSA review is not complete? Might go on as long as the current Congressman Charles Rangel investigation if they play their cards right.

Is this the reason why no comments have been posted on the TSA Blog in over 24 hours?
Old Dec 9, 2009, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, AA, B6, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, SPG
It looks like the backtracking has begun. From the TSA.gov website as an official statement released today:

That statement would appear to contradict Blogger Bob's quote from yesterday:

So now it would appear that the TSA is indirectly admitting that this was an official SOP. Blogger Bob's statement was either not true or, at best, misleading.

I guess when the TSA realized that a FOIA request had been fulfilled with this exact same SOP and that the RFP used this as an SOP, the ruse of still claiming it was never implemented became a bigger problem than admitting it was in effect at one time. But for those two issues, the TSA might still be saying that it was never in effect.
Does that mean that a couple of TSA/DHS officials lied to the Senate committee earlier today?
Old Dec 9, 2009, 4:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Interesting. The version of the official statement on the blog still has "drafted" rather than "approved."

I expected that this would be the outcome. True or not, they would have been better off admitting in the end that it was, in fact, a released copy.

Here's the rub: They had officials testify in the Senate today. If those folks stated that that the version was never implemented or approved then they've got a handful of folks on the hook for Contempt of Congress. That isn't so good either. I'm trying to find a full transcript of the testimony of that session to see what was actually said.

Anyone have access to fednews.com? That seems to be the only place with transcripts online right now and it is a subscription service.

Last edited by sbm12; Dec 9, 2009 at 4:33 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.