Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SOP discussion

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2009, 10:17 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by Random_Flyer
Of course, if it's hidden then it allows the TSA to do pretty much anything it wants and claim "SOP" yet have the claim be unverifiable.
Ding, ding! We have a winner! @:-)
Originally Posted by Spiff
If Idiot Boy had said, "this document should have been open to the public", I might have had a modicum of respect for the little shoe pervert.
The day you develop any respect for Idiot Boy, the universe will disappear into a singularity. Please, Spiff, for the sake of humanity itself, stick with:
Originally Posted by Spiff
...manure-for-brains Hawley ... The disgusting Shoe Pervert named Kip Hawley who is directly responsible for the Shoe Carnival and the Liquids Idiocy can go straight to hell.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 10:54 pm

Programs: TSA TSO
I'm surprised Bruce Schneier hasn't said anything yet.

Also, I didn't know bdschobel would be suggested second after Schneier by Google. Then again, I didn't know he was that well known outside of FT.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 11:12 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by LoganTSO
I'm surprised Bruce Schneier hasn't said anything yet.
He's probably laughing too hard to type. And what could he say that hasn't already been said?
Old Dec 8, 2009, 11:15 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The clown news network -- better known as CNN -- is saying this is a how-to-guide for terrorists and the biggest breach of airport security since 9/11.

Do these clowns not realize that competent terrorists aren't being stopped by the TSA and that airport security screeners weren't tasked to stop the terrorists or the weapons used by the terrorists on 9/11?

Do these clowns not realize that the TSA is already a big failure in reliably stopping weapons and explosives? The TSA's repeated failure to properly screen out for all weapons and explosives -- or the components for such -- is a far bigger threat to security than even the TSA's accidental transparency.

Airport security doesn't come via obscurity. Transparency -- an anathema to the TSA -- is a must for accountability and systematic performance improvements in aviation security. This is something that the TSA and the unnecessarily paranoid talking heads on TV don't get.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 8, 2009 at 11:21 pm
Old Dec 9, 2009, 12:08 am

CNN Anderson Cooper 360

Re: CNN Anderson Cooper 360 show, 12/8

On CNN, it was nice to hear fired TSA Federal Air Marshal whistleblower, Robert MacLean, give a shout-out to the front-line TSOs and FAMs who now have to deal with the fall-out from their senior executives' colossal EF-up.

While Gale Rossides and her cronies hide in the "Arlington Ivory Towers," waiting for Erroll Southers to kick them out the door with phat pensions (only to go work at cushy neo-con firms collecting a second 6-figure salary)...the TSOs, FAMs, and LEOs get to shovel their sheeOUGHT.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 12:37 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by willpolice4food
Re: CNN Anderson Cooper 360 show, 12/8

On CNN, it was nice to hear fired TSA Federal Air Marshal whistleblower, Robert MacLean, give a shout-out to the front-line TSOs and FAMs who now have to deal with the fall-out from their senior executives' colossal EF-up.

While Gale Rossides and her cronies hide in the "Arlington Ivory Towers," waiting for Erroll Southers to kick them out the door with phat pensions (only to go work at cushy neo-con firms collecting a second 6-figure salary)...the TSOs, FAMs, and LEOs get to shovel their sheeOUGHT.
What "fall-out" will impact the "front-line TSOs and FAMs"? The TSA front-end and back-end stink in terms of effectiveness and this won't change -- for better or even worse -- the awful trend of the TSA engaging in mission creep and opposing efforts at transparency and accountability.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 2:22 am

Redacted. I hope some men in suits do not show up wanting my computers
Old Dec 9, 2009, 3:02 am

"Airport security doesn't come via obscurity. Transparency -- an anathema to the TSA -- is a must for accountability and systematic performance improvements in aviation security. This is something that the TSA and the unnecessarily paranoid talking heads on TV don't get."
Wow, GUWonder, that was beautifully written. I do not believe in mystique-based security.

The SOP document didn't really contain anything earth-shattering. In fact, I think we pretty much knew most of what was written in there. But the idea that the TSA is so inept with document security highlights their failures as an organization.

The SOP also deflates the TSA's frequent arrogance about "sensitive" information. During confrontations, TSA staff have often pointed to "secret" knowledge, as if they operate in a precise, data and evidence driven environment.

I'm pleased with any bad press about the TSA, and they're getting plenty of it. This is all happening around the holidays, when more people are exposed to the frustrating nature of screening, and may help dig a greater hole for the TSA in the court of public opinion.

What troubles me is that the TSA might respond by making screening even more onerous. They may want to try to veil their incompetence by even more pointless ID inspections, overzealous inspection of prostheses, etc.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 3:51 am

Originally Posted by willpolice4food
Fallout like the people they work for seeing their job descriptions and having the ability to know when they're doing their jobs wrong or simply lying to us? If you think that's fallout, imagine what their jobs would be like if we could read the all rules we're required to follow at the checkpoint. They might never catch us doing anything considered to be dangerous... because we'd know not to do those things.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.5.0.138 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

This incident is the best thing that ever happened to Tiger Woods. :-)
Old Dec 9, 2009, 5:24 am

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by Mats
"Airport security doesn't come via obscurity. Transparency -- an anathema to the TSA -- is a must for accountability and systematic performance improvements in aviation security. This is something that the TSA and the unnecessarily paranoid talking heads on TV don't get."
Wow, GUWonder, that was beautifully written. I do not believe in mystique-based security.

The SOP document didn't really contain anything earth-shattering. In fact, I think we pretty much knew most of what was written in there. But the idea that the TSA is so inept with document security highlights their failures as an organization.

The SOP also deflates the TSA's frequent arrogance about "sensitive" information. During confrontations, TSA staff have often pointed to "secret" knowledge, as if they operate in a precise, data and evidence driven environment.

I'm pleased with any bad press about the TSA, and they're getting plenty of it. This is all happening around the holidays, when more people are exposed to the frustrating nature of screening, and may help dig a greater hole for the TSA in the court of public opinion.

What troubles me is that the TSA might respond by making screening even more onerous. They may want to try to veil their incompetence by even more pointless ID inspections, overzealous inspection of prostheses, etc.
If TSA overreacts to this public embarrassment and throws 'emergency' screening measures into play then you can pretty much guarantee that there's going to be a backlash with the not-so frequent fliers.

Some of the news articles make this the greatest security leak since the Rosenburgs, when we know that document had nothing surprising in it.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 6:05 am

Programs: Marriott Plat
Senate Homeland Security Committee is holding a hearing at 9:30 AM today called "Five Years After the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act (IRTPA): Stopping Terrorist Travel". Should be entertaining:

http://hsgac.senate.gov/public/index...3-820344cf8be0
Old Dec 9, 2009, 6:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The clown news network -- better known as CNN -- is saying this is a how-to-guide for terrorists and the biggest breach of airport security since 9/11.

Do these clowns not realize that competent terrorists aren't being stopped by the TSA and that airport security screeners weren't tasked to stop the terrorists or the weapons used by the terrorists on 9/11?

Do these clowns not realize that the TSA is already a big failure in reliably stopping weapons and explosives? The TSA's repeated failure to properly screen out for all weapons and explosives -- or the components for such -- is a far bigger threat to security than even the TSA's accidental transparency.

Airport security doesn't come via obscurity. Transparency -- an anathema to the TSA -- is a must for accountability and systematic performance improvements in aviation security. This is something that the TSA and the unnecessarily paranoid talking heads on TV don't get.
^^

the best summary of the whole TSA situation I've read in a long time. You should apply for the job as TSA Administrator.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by halls120
^^

the best summary of the whole TSA situation I've read in a long time. You should apply for the job as TSA Administrator.
Absolutely right about GUWonder's post ^

Shouldn't that be "the thankless job"?

Leading TSA would be about as rewarding as leading the charge of the Light Brigade.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 7:15 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by IslandBased
Leading TSA would be about as rewarding as leading the charge of the Light Brigade.
Not at all.

"We are returning airport security to private security screeners."

"All TSA employees are fired."

Done deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.