Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SOP discussion

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2009, 12:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by greggwiggins
Just a note that the Travel Section editors and writers of The Washington Post are having a webchat a little over two hours from when I'm posting this.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...113002924.html
Well Chris Elliott took the questions so it isn't hard to imagine that they didn't really get much love...

Are Secrets Revealed Worth Excitement or Worry?: Someone in the travel blogosphere discovered recently that the secret TSA screening manual was actually posted on the Internet by the government about nine months ago.

Did you go through it yet and find anything worth reporting on?

Christopher Elliott: It's an interesting document. Who knew that diplomatic pouches and foreign dignitaries were exempt from TSA screening?

It looks as if someone should have done a better job redacting that manual. Better yet, they shouldn't have released it at all.

I'm not sure if any of this matters. Since my last column about the TSA, I've been in touch with insiders who tell me these procedures are not always followed. Maybe it's worth a follow-up column?

New York, NY: Have you read the recently discovered "redacted" content from the TSA's Screening SOP and if so what are your thoughts on the content deemed supposedly too secret for public consumption?

Watch lists of specific countries? Instructions for how to wash hands after a positive ETD swab? How to calibrate the WTMDs?

More info here.

Christopher Elliott: As I've already said, the document is interesting, but I'm not sure if there's anything in there that is worth stopping the presses for.

Now, if you have a copy of the unredacted document, please send it along ...
He didn't bother to read enough to go find the doc but whatever. I don't generally expect much from him. Makes it easier to not be disappointed.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Well, I just Tweeted a link to Trollkiller's site with the document to my 800+ followers and the 20 lists I’m on. The TSA Blog Team has been awful quiet on Twitter since Thanksgiving, but I have a feeling things might get busy for them.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N965VJ
Well, I just Tweeted a link to Trollkiller's site with the document to my 800+ followers and the 20 lists I’m on. The TSA Blog Team has been awful quiet on Twitter since Thanksgiving, but I have a feeling things might get busy for them.
I wonder who is responsible for putting the document out there in the first place?

I think I would have ignored the goings on if I made decisions for TSA. That way a case could be made that the document was out of date and nothing in it was completely valid. The way TSA handled this so far makes one think that parts of the SOP were in fact current and valid.

I also think if there was a document for travelers that outlined the TSA procedures that travelers would have to comply with and clearly explained limitations and such that this would have never happened in the first place.

TSA treats the everyday traveler as a threat while most of us should be treated as an asset against the 1 in a 100~ billion bad guy.

I honestly believe that the whole TSA paradigm is flawed and until changes in core principles are made TSA will never gain the trust (or cooperation) of the public.

TSA has shown a distinct lack of interest in their blog of late, I'm betting its nearing its end.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
BoingBoing picked this up as well:

Unfortunately, the security geniuses at the DHS don't know that drawing black blocks over the words you want to eliminate from your PDF doesn't actually make the words go away, and can be defeated by nefarious al Qaeda operatives through a complex technique known as ctrl-a/ctrl-c/ctrl-v. Thankfully, only the most elite terrorists would be capable of matching wits with the technology brilliance on display at the agency charged with defending our nation's skies by ensuring that imaginary hair-gel bombs are kept off of airplanes.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 1:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat
As did Jaunted
Old Dec 7, 2009, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I was acting "TSA Supreme Leader" I might be dusting off my resume.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wired.com just picked up this story.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 1:51 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like they can either say the release isn't a security threat thereby admitting that SSI is a joke or admit they made a mistake. I'll bet the spin machines are planning an option C.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, AA, B6, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, SPG
I wonder if the days of manual typewriters and non-digital copiers are coming back so this won’t happen again?
Old Dec 7, 2009, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This story has officially 'sploded in the Twittersphere. About every minute another Tweet if you note the timestamps:

Old Dec 7, 2009, 2:32 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by DevilDog438
I agree with others, carry a copy in your carry-on. If you really want to bring attention to it, carry it in a binder with tin-foil in the cover pages...
and make sure that the cover page is slipped under the clear plastic on the cover of the binder so that it is clearly visible by others when you open it up to read on your flight and remember to leave it on your seat when you go to the head
Old Dec 7, 2009, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goalie
and make sure that the cover page is slipped under the clear plastic on the cover of the binder so that it is clearly visible by others when you open it up to read on your flight and remember to leave it on your seat when you go to the head
BB is getting the puppy post together now.

Should have been a fine day to work at TSA HQ!
Old Dec 7, 2009, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.5.0.138 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I'm enough of a tree hugger to not want to waste 95 pages of paper on a TSA SOP.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 3:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Links back to my post last night.

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
I'm enough of a tree hugger to not want to waste 95 pages of paper on a TSA SOP.
Double-sided, two-up.

I heard back from the TSA finally. Don't worry, layers will protect us.

http://www.wanderingaramean.com/2009...rotect-us.html

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has become aware that an outdated version of a Standard Operating Procedures document was improperly posted by the agency to the Federal Business Opportunities Web site wherein redacted material was not properly protected.‪

TSA takes this matter very seriously and took swift action when this was discovered. A full review is now underway.

TSA has many layers of security in place to keep the traveling public safe and to constantly adapt to evolving threats. TSA has put appropriate measures in place to effectively screen passengers at airport security checkpoints nationwide.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA 2P
Originally Posted by sbm12
I heard back from the TSA finally. Don't worry, layers will protect us.
Layers of Lawyers haven't protected the TSA from stupidity.

What makes them think it will protect us?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.