Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SOP discussion

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2009, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA 2P
Originally Posted by Trollkiller
But we are BETTER than they are. We are prone to logic not unfounded fear.
TK, since you're the OP, would you mind collecting the news links in the OP for easy reference?
Old Dec 8, 2009, 9:06 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Oh, don't get me wrong ... absolutely, we should be better than unfounded rumor-mongering.

Still ... when those who use unfounded fear to advance their agenda suddenly find themselves on the receiving end of criticism based on unfounded fears, there's a certain symmetry which is pleasing ...
IOW, after all the years of TSA claiming: "if the bad guys could get our SOP, the world would end," the chooks have come home to roost.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was the number three story on CTV (Canada) news just now, complete with the "it's old news" line from the TSA.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quick mention during the local newscast on DFW's NBC affiliate.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 9:15 pm

You made it in the MSNBC Article

Originally Posted by sbm12
Did they mention my blog??
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34335299/ns/travel-news

"On Sunday, the Wandering Aramean blog pointed out the document in a posting titled "The TSA makes another stupid move."
Old Dec 8, 2009, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
I'm up in Canada and this is all over the news up here too, pretty funny given how everyone is calling this a HUGE security breach and how it gives people the playbook to get through a checkpoint but I looked at the document and really I don't see how this does much, pretty much a non-story as far as I can tell
Old Dec 8, 2009, 9:25 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by ryan182
I'm up in Canada and this is all over the news up here too, pretty funny given how everyone is calling this a HUGE security breach and how it gives people the playbook to get through a checkpoint but I looked at the document and really I don't see how this does much, pretty much a non-story as far as I can tell
That's because the TSA is a non-security agency.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 9:28 pm

"Former TSA Administrator Kip Hawley said the document is not something a security agency would want to inadvertently post online, but he said it's not a roadmap for terrorists.

Originally Posted by Kip Hawley, Lying Idiot
Hyperventilating that this is a breach of security that's going to endanger the public is flat wrong," Hawley said.
Just like all the hyperventilating you used to do, right??

What the hell do you know about airport security, you incompetent jackass? You left the TSA knowing less about security than when you walked in, which was zero.

You are the moron who brought us the Shoe Carnival and Liquids Idiocy. From a security perspective, you don't know even the slightest thing to comment intelligently.

Kip Hawley and security are mutually exclusive. Getting this pants-wetting buffoon to make a statement simply underscores how much the TSA has screwed the pooch all these years, culminating in this latest embarrassment.

Crawl back under what ever rock is currently employing you, Kippie. You're more of an idiot than ever.

Last edited by Spiff; Dec 8, 2009 at 9:33 pm
Old Dec 8, 2009, 9:29 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
CNN had a story on this and you'd think the SIOP plans for nuclear war had been uncovered. A former DHS inspector general said he thought criminal charges might be in order over this.

Having read the document, I am genuinely puzzled why this was deemed to be SSI to begin with. If anything, it should have been in the public domain from inception; it would cut down on innumerable misunderstandings and misperceptions at checkpoints. I'm open to hearing another viewpoint, but it seems to me that if TSA is actually doing its job, having this public does NOTHING to lower security.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA 2P
Originally Posted by us2
CNN had a story on this and you'd think the SIOP plans for nuclear war had been uncovered. A former DHS inspector general said he thought criminal charges might be in order over this.

Having read the document, I am genuinely puzzled why this was deemed to be SSI to begin with. If anything, it should have been in the public domain from inception; it would cut down on innumerable misunderstandings and misperceptions at checkpoints. I'm open to hearing another viewpoint, but it seems to me that if TSA is actually doing its job, having this public does NOTHING to lower security.
You are 100% correct.

Of course, if it's hidden then it allows the TSA to do pretty much anything it wants and claim "SOP" yet have the claim be unverifiable.

If the SOP were truly public domain, every member of the public would be another set of eyes making sure that the TSA is doing its job properly. That is likely what TSA management fears the most.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Random_Flyer
TK, since you're the OP, would you mind collecting the news links in the OP for easy reference?
I have to get to bed but if you guys will gather the links and post them inline, I will be happy to copy them into the original post.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 9:37 pm

"After getting over the initial shock of how stupid that it seemed they were for putting out a document like that," Miller said in a phone interview, "I think the most significant risk is that when . . . you see some of the things that are marked as "security sensitive information, you have to sort of smack your hand on your forehead and say, 'What are they thinking?' "
Actually it is outlined in another newly discovered Upper Management Handbook.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Spiff
"Former TSA Administrator Kip Hawley said the document is not something a security agency would want to inadvertently post online, but he said it's not a roadmap for terrorists.

Just like all the hyperventilating you used to do, right??

What the hell do you know about airport security, you incompetent jackass? You left the TSA knowing less about security than when you walked in, which was zero.

You are the moron who brought us the Shoe Carnival and Liquids Idiocy. From a security perspective, you don't know even the slightest thing to comment intelligently.

Kip Hawley and security are mutually exclusive. Getting this pants-wetting buffoon to make a statement simply underscores how much the TSA has screwed the pooch all these years, culminating in this latest embarrassment.

Crawl back under what ever rock is currently employing you, Kippie. You're more of an idiot than ever.
Link please. (never mind, found it) And this time I do agree with Kip. The document is not a road map for terrorist. And I also think Kip would have had the guts to make himself avaliable to the news outlets. I have not heard one peep from Gail.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, AA, B6, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, SPG
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
Back on topic: gotta love all the comments at ABC screaming about how the media is helping the bad guys by reporting the story/linking the document.
I wonder how many of those replies are by TSO's?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8402909.stm

Article on the BBC and yes the Wandering Aramean was given credit for breaking the story. ^
When the Beeb gets a hold of something, it really becomes world news.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 9:45 pm

Link please. And this time I do agree with Kip. The document is not a road map for terrorist. And I also think Kip would have had the guts to make himself avaliable to the news outlets. I have not heard one peep from Gail.
While the document itself may indeed be a non-issue, that fact that it was SSI in the first place is.

If Idiot Boy had said, "this document should have been open to the public", I might have had a modicum of respect for the little shoe pervert. Instead, he gave the same BS that he did when he was the so-called "administrator" of this abomination of an agency.

That quote of manure-for-brains Hawley can be found here:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34335299/ns/travel-news

I stand by my earlier comments. The disgusting Shoe Pervert named Kip Hawley who is directly responsible for the Shoe Carnival and the Liquids Idiocy can go straight to hell.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.