Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SOP discussion

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2009, 1:43 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by sbm12
Interesting...Blogger Bob is getting credit for being the TSA staffer who ran this one up the flag pole when it happened:
The agency posted the 94-page document on a federal website in March while offering opportunities for private contractors. The manual was not removed until Sunday, when bloggers alerted the agency's in-house blogger that nominally redacted portions were visible if readers cut and pasted the document, officials said.
(bolding mine)
nah, it's flyertalk. after all, where do you think blogger bob read about the "oops"
Old Dec 9, 2009, 1:43 pm

Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
Originally Posted by ND Sol
cf. Pentagon Papers.

And thanks for telling us that it was five placed on administrative leave. You may now be on the line for disclosing that info.
It's been publicly reported that five people have been placed on administrative leave. http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...w141527S51.DTL

Five Transportation Security Administration employees have been placed on administrative leave since it was discovered that sensitive guidelines about airport passenger screening were posted on the Internet.

The move was disclosed as senators questioned administration officials Wednesday about the second embarrassing security flap at the Homeland Security Department in as many weeks. The Secret Service, also part of the sprawling department, is investigating how a couple of would-be reality TV stars were able to get into a White House state dinner without an invitation.

Assistant Homeland Security secretary David Heyman told senators Wednesday that a full investigation into the Internet security lapse is under way and the TSA employees have been taken off duty pending the results of that probe. He did not say how many employees were put on leave. A TSA official who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the ongoing investigation said five employees were placed on administrative leave Tuesday.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...#ixzz0ZE6SOfa6
Old Dec 9, 2009, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by Olton Hall
I sure hope the Daily Show does its usual magic and does a piece on this tonight.
...or The Colbert Report.

Both of which would be more informative than the segmant I just saw on CNN a few moments ago.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
Interesting...Blogger Bob is getting credit for being the TSA staffer who ran this one up the flag pole when it happened:
(bolding mine)
The agency posted the 94-page document on a federal website in March while offering opportunities for private contractors. The manual was not removed until Sunday, when bloggers alerted the agency's in-house blogger that nominally redacted portions were visible if readers cut and pasted the document, officials said.
--------------------------------------

Just to let you guys know, I alerted Blogger Bob to the document. Of course this was after I had already had a copy hosted on my blog and knew of several other sites hosting it.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Trollkiller

Just to let you guys know, I alerted Blogger Bob to the document. Of course this was after I had already had a copy hosted on my blog and knew of several other sites hosting it.
Why?
Old Dec 9, 2009, 2:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Why?
Ditto
Old Dec 9, 2009, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think that was a respectable thing to do.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 2:09 pm

Programs: TSA

+5^
Old Dec 9, 2009, 2:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The clown Bennie Thompson that currently heads the relevant House committee is not the only one that needs to learn that lesson. The paranoid mad-man Peter King who is ranking member on the same House committee that is chaired by Bennie Thompson also needs to be informed about the same.
^^
Old Dec 9, 2009, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tom M.
After stashing a copy?

The SOP had been out there for 9 months.
Who's betting someone had already read it cover to cover?
Old Dec 9, 2009, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Why?
Originally Posted by doober
Ditto
Originally Posted by Tom M.
Originally Posted by gsoltso
+5^
After stashing a copy?

The SOP had been out there for 9 months.
Who's betting someone had already read it cover to cover?
Just setting the ball into motion. As long as the document was just being talked about to FT there was no harm done to the TSA. By alerting them it caused them react from a position of panic. Kinda of like the reaction you get when you catch someone with their pants down.

Once they reacted then there was a real story.

And secondly I did not want Blogger Bob to walk into a sh*tstorm blind on a Monday morning.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And secondly I did not want Blogger Bob to walk into a sh*tstorm blind on a Monday morning.

^
Old Dec 9, 2009, 2:33 pm

Just setting the ball into motion. As long as the document was just being talked about to FT there was no harm done to the TSA. By alerting them it caused them react from a position of panic. Kinda of like the reaction you get when you catch someone with their pants down.

Once they reacted then there was a real story.

The PV posts have ground to a halt, so "Mission Accomplished" TrollKiller
Old Dec 9, 2009, 2:39 pm

Programs: SSSSS
I think TK did the right thing. Here's why: I document had been up on the internet for 9 months. Anyone who had wanted to read it surreptitiously has already read it. If terrorists/evildoers/waterdrinkers had wanted to use the information, the best possible way to use it would be to have it and not have the TSA know anyone had it.

This way, a document that had been publically exposed but not widely known places us a greater risk than it would if it were known to be exposed.

But this all presupposes that the TSA provides a useful flight security function, which it does not; That the TSA is effective which it is not; and that the TSA is the only way to protect an aircraft.

And everybody knows that they are not. Aircraft are safe today because every passenger knows that hijackers will not take them to a tropical vacation paradise, they will kill them. Aircraft are safe today because cockpit doors are reinforced and locked. Aircraft are safe today because there is likely a gun waiting on the other side of the cockpit door if someone does try to break in.

TSA does not protect us. Never has, never will. Now that their SOP is out on the internet, we are protected from TSA's arbitrary and capricious behavior, at least to a limited extent.

Vive Le Libertie!
Old Dec 9, 2009, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IslandBased
The PV posts have ground to a halt, so "Mission Accomplished" TrollKiller
I imagine Blogger Bob is busy giving the bosses a crash course in using PDFs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.