SOP discussion

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2009, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by Spiff
Not at all.

"We are returning airport security to private security screeners."

"All TSA employees are fired."

Done deal.
If I didn't hold the pessimistic view that it would end up being the same crud delivered by new uniforms, I might agree with you.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 7:26 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by sbm12
Just got off the phone with a reporter. The WaPo Homeland Security Corespondent is apparently putting a piece together tonight for publication soon. ^^^

They're going after the TSA pretty hard it would seem.
It's front page (below the fold) in this morning's dead-tree edition of The Washington Post. Your quotes and credit for breaking this story are after the jump.

Last edited by greggwiggins; Dec 9, 2009 at 7:29 am Reason: Added a link to the story on Post's website
Old Dec 9, 2009, 7:30 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by IslandBased
If I didn't hold the pessimistic view that it would end up being the same crud delivered by new uniforms, I might agree with you.
That's why we have to say NO to crap like "Team SFO" and return to Argenbright-like companies with little government interference and lots of accountability requirements.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Article about this was greenlit on Fark.com, it just went public....discussions should be good there.

Enjoy your PR nightmare, TSA.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 7:50 am

This is an excellent time to write your elected representatives and ask them to disband the TSA once and for all:

https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml

http://www.senate.gov/reference/comm...t_senators.htm
Old Dec 9, 2009, 7:54 am

Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
Originally Posted by greggwiggins
It's front page (below the fold) in this morning's dead-tree edition of The Washington Post. Your quotes and credit for breaking this story are after the jump.
sbm12 may have been the first to blog about this document (and did a great job at that!), but wasn't it OnTheAsile's post (with the original now-defunct link to the PDF doc attached to the bidding document), in response to Phil's thread about how to word a FOIA request for this kind of information, that started this whole story? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...nt-advice.html (See post # 6, Dec. 5, 2009)
Old Dec 9, 2009, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by Mats
What troubles me is that the TSA might respond by making screening even more onerous. They may want to try to veil their incompetence by even more pointless ID inspections, overzealous inspection of prostheses, etc.
If TSA changes or does nothing, it proves that all the "It's SSI" hype was just bee ess. In order to justify that the leaked information was critical, their reaction can only be to do some swift draconian actions to "prove" to the Kettle public how secret that SSI stuff was and should still be.

Some reactions will be internal. I'm sure this morning all checkpoints are reading their new SOP revisions like "the new WTMD tests with the fake gun block of metal are now conducted 0.75 inch lower than they were yesterday."

My fear is a War on Water level knee jerk reaction issued today, like a War on Wires. "All wires larger than 36 gauge must be placed in a separate bin for visual inspection." Something that will harass every pax with a cell phone or Ipod or laptop computer charger, or a headset, which would include all FFs and almost 100% of the Kettle holiday pax.

No doubt the worst harassment will be folks in powered wheelchairs. Got to rip those wires out for inspection! As for Goalies shoes, oh the humanity. . .
Old Dec 9, 2009, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, AA, B6, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, SPG
Originally Posted by BarbiJKM
sbm12 may have been the first to blog about this document (and did a great job at that!), but wasn't it OnTheAsile's post (with the original now-defunct link to the PDF doc attached to the bidding document), in response to Phil's thread about how to word a FOIA request for this kind of information, that started this whole story? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...nt-advice.html (See post # 6, Dec. 5, 2009)
That is correct. When you read the WaPo article you will notice sbm12 mentions that he found out about this while chatting with FF's online.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 8:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BarbiJKM
Absolutely. As I posted in the other thread:
I appreciate the sentiment and will say that, unequivocally, in every conversation I have had with anyone about the topic I have explained that the document was mentioned on FlyerTalk and that FT was my impetus to go read it. I even mention that another member actually realized the text was not redacted before I did (there is a post 2 minutes prior to mine in the FOIA request thread noting the same). At this point I've been credited with "discovering" this the same way that Columbus was credited with discovering America. It was there; I have simply raised the level of attention that it receives.

I honestly have no idea why my blog post became the tipping point for the story. Looking at the few logs I have it seems that the story was posted on news.ycombinator.com at some point on Sunday. It made it to Wired's ThreatList and BoingBoing on Sunday or early Monday as well. SlashDot picked it up on Tuesday, as did the AP, the Washington Post and the Cleveland Plain Dealer. This morning has seen a rather significant amount of traffic from a BBC News story and the Register UK.

I've had hits from over 100 countries in the past 72 hours. This story has most definitely gone global. I'm happy that I've been able to help raise the issue and bring it to the forefront. I just hope that something good comes from it. I continue to press the TSA press contacts I have and will be contacting some elected officials today in an effort to delve more into the FOIA issue that was identified yesterday.

sbm12/Wandering Aramean.
I've giving credit out as much as I can (particularly since I don't actually know the other pertinent folks on this one in real life). But I'm also doing what I can to push this issue out into the public eye and draw attention to the idiocy that is the TSA.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 8:13 am

Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat

I've giving credit out as much as I can (particularly since I don't actually know the other pertinent folks on this one in real life). But I'm also doing what I can to push this issue out into the public eye and draw attention to the idiocy that is the TSA.
And I, for one, am grateful for your efforts! Keep up the good work!

It may be that your blog posts were so much more visible than the link hidden among the many threads here. You really cast a spotlight on the issue!

Last edited by BarbiJKM; Dec 9, 2009 at 8:33 am
Old Dec 9, 2009, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, AA, B6, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, SPG

Your efforts are very much appreciated. ^
Old Dec 9, 2009, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by Olton Hall
Your efforts are very much appreciated. ^
+1 ^
Old Dec 9, 2009, 8:47 am

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold

sbm12: A link to your blog appeared on the BBC story about this issue. I was so proud!!
Great job!

EDA:
Here is the BBC article. Your blog is linked on the right panel of the page.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 9:32 am

Scapegoats located!

AP News Article

"WASHINGTON — An Obama administration official says some Transportation Security Administration employees have been placed on administrative leave after it was discovered that sensitive guidelines about airport passenger screening were posted on the Internet.

Assistant Homeland Security secretary David Heyman has told senators a full investigation into the security lapse is under way. Heyman says the Homeland Security Department is stopping the posting of documents with sensitive security information either in full or in part on the Internet until the TSA review is complete."

Big deal. The entire agency should be put on permanent leave.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Spiff
AP News Article

"WASHINGTON — An Obama administration official says some Transportation Security Administration employees have been placed on administrative leave after it was discovered that sensitive guidelines about airport passenger screening were posted on the Internet.

Assistant Homeland Security secretary David Heyman has told senators a full investigation into the security lapse is under way. Heyman says the Homeland Security Department is stopping the posting of documents with sensitive security information either in full or in part on the Internet until the TSA review is complete."

Big deal. The entire agency should be put on permanent leave.
Gitmo has some spaces available.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Dec 9, 2009 at 9:45 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.