Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SOP discussion

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2009, 7:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

At some point between 8:45am and now they finally got the last vestiges of it off the fbo.gov site. It was still available there this morning.

ETA: Apparently WOMAP was an unknown acronym prior to this leak. Whoopsie.
http://politics.theatlantic.com/2009...ce_program.php

Last edited by sbm12; Dec 9, 2009 at 7:42 pm
Old Dec 9, 2009, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by ND Sol
Are you the writer of the piece in the LA Times on this issue?
Nope - that's not me.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 7:52 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond (MM), Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Trollkiller
I think the only place the TSA has demanded the SOP be removed is from the commerce website. I have not heard of any site hosting the SOP being contacted by the TSA, DHS or any other Government agency.
If they did and you can't find it on one of the offshore places hosting it, there's already a few copies floating around Bittorrent.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bonoman
If they did and you can't find it on one of the offshore places hosting it, there's already a few copies floating around Bittorrent.
Sweet.

I already have it on my site, and squirreled in a few places both in electronic format and hard copy printed form.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 8:15 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Boraxo
So let me get this straight - the TSA demanded that an outdated, unclassified version of its SOP manual be removed from websites - yeah right. In this case, as in most, speak louder than words.

And yes they could definitely take a page from the secret service. However, the difference there is that that SS is covering up for the white house staffer who signed off on the salihis (as they did for clinton during monicagate). Whereas the TSA is simply denying its own ineptitude.
You got the first paragraph straight, but not the second paragraph.

I think the only place the TSA has demanded the SOP be removed is from the commerce website. I have not heard of any site hosting the SOP being contacted by the TSA, DHS or any other Government agency.
I've heard of no such thing yet either, but I have heard rumblings about checking out the IP addresses and more related to downloads of the documents.

By the way, there is a clear insinuation in some circles that this is far from being the only government-released PDF where redaction was done improperly.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

New PV update http://www.tsa.gov/blog
Old Dec 9, 2009, 8:18 pm

Which is mostly a condensed version of today's press release.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 8:21 pm

I hope it wasn't Blogger Bob that got suspended.
Well, Bob just posted the latest update to the TSA Blog, so it looks like he's still on the job ...
Old Dec 9, 2009, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, AA, B6, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, SPG
Jon Stewart is making fun of this mess now.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Well, Bob just posted the latest update to the TSA Blog, so it looks like he's still on the job ...
Been mentioned elsewhere but I find it strange that no senior TSA appointees have said anything to media.

White House, DHS and Congressional reps are all talking but no one at TSA (as far as I know) is speaking up.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I've heard of no such thing yet either, but I have heard rumblings about checking out the IP addresses and more related to downloads of the documents.

By the way, there is a clear insinuation in some circles that this is far from being the only government-released PDF where redaction was done improperly.
Screw it the DHS has already decided I am a low level terrorist because I believe in small Federal government.

I don't doubt this is the only screw up out there.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Been mentioned elsewhere but I find it strange that no senior TSA appointees have said anything to media.
I'm unsure why you'd not expect this reaction from the TSA/government. We're STILL waiting for an explanation for why The War Against Water is happening and it's been a few years already. No one at the TSA/DHS has spoken up because they know they have NO excuse for the bullmanure they put the flying public through.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by greentips
I think TK did the right thing. Here's why: I document had been up on the internet for 9 months. Anyone who had wanted to read it surreptitiously has already read it. If terrorists/evildoers/waterdrinkers had wanted to use the information, the best possible way to use it would be to have it and not have the TSA know anyone had it.

This way, a document that had been publically exposed but not widely known places us a greater risk than it would if it were known to be exposed.

But this all presupposes that the TSA provides a useful flight security function, which it does not; That the TSA is effective which it is not; and that the TSA is the only way to protect an aircraft.

And everybody knows that they are not. Aircraft are safe today because every passenger knows that hijackers will not take them to a tropical vacation paradise, they will kill them. Aircraft are safe today because cockpit doors are reinforced and locked. Aircraft are safe today because there is likely a gun waiting on the other side of the cockpit door if someone does try to break in.

TSA does not protect us. Never has, never will. Now that their SOP is out on the internet, we are protected from TSA's arbitrary and capricious behavior, at least to a limited extent.

Vive Le Libertie!
Aircraft are safe today because every passenger knows that hijackers will not take them to a tropical vacation paradise, they will kill them.
You need to take a Miami flight out of Las Vegas on an early Sunday morning ...a single, crippled hijacker can overtake that plane full of hung-over slobs and clueless blue-hairs.

Aircraft are safe today because cockpit doors are reinforced and locked.
uh huh...and when the pilots open it to get food/drink or use the lav? Oh, I'm sure you are 100% confident in "Franny the flight attendant" valiantly protecting the front galley with her drink cart.

Aircraft are safe today because there is likely a gun waiting on the other side of the cockpit door if someone does try to break in.
Yup...and you better hope that none of the tens of thousands of armed pilots' (FFDO) federal badges, lost or stolen in the last five years, haven't gotten into the WRONG hands. Are you also confident in that 20-something, G.E.D. TSO -- inspecting FFDO, FAM, CIA, and ATF badges -- won't one day wave the wrong one by with an "FFDO" carry-on full of Glocks and/or Semtex to pass out to his buddies in the terminal bathroom?

Yah, I know, the aforementioned could NEVER happen...just like they insisted on 9/10/2001 and prior...

Fly safe everyone!
Old Dec 10, 2009, 3:31 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Double Black Diamond
Angry But what about the Threat Levels??

The TSA SOP was an interesting 94 page read.

But what would be MORE interesting would be the manual of what differentiates the threat levels.
  • Why have we been at threat level Orange all these years?
  • Whats the diff between Orange, Yellow and Red?
  • Will we EVER EVER be at Green? If not why even have Green??
Old Dec 10, 2009, 5:35 am

Programs: TSA TSO
Originally Posted by Ruhetag
The TSA SOP was an interesting 94 page read.

But what would be MORE interesting would be the manual of what differentiates the threat levels.
  • Why have we been at threat level Orange all these years?
  • Whats the diff between Orange, Yellow and Red?
  • Will we EVER EVER be at Green? If not why even have Green??
To quote Tootsie Pop:

The world may never know.

Even, I don't know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.