Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SOP discussion

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2009, 5:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Ruhetag
The TSA SOP was an interesting 94 page read.

But what would be MORE interesting would be the manual of what differentiates the threat levels.
  • Why have we been at threat level Orange all these years?
  • Whats the diff between Orange, Yellow and Red?
  • Will we EVER EVER be at Green? If not why even have Green??
1. An Orange threat level ensures continued government employment for tens of thousands government workers.

2. Nothing, really, since lax gate security had nothing to do with the 9/11 hijackings in the first place

3. LOL, you're kidding, right?
Old Dec 10, 2009, 5:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder

I've heard of no such thing yet either, but I have heard rumblings about checking out the IP addresses and more related to downloads of the documents.
Guess I'd better print out a copy before it disappears from my computer.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 5:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by doober
Guess I'd better print out a copy before it disappears from my computer.
Heh, heh, heh, won't they be surprised when they find my copy.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 6:04 am

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by halls120
Heh, heh, heh, won't they be surprised when they find my copy.
I would like to have the concession stand selling antacids at DHS hdqrs this past week. Could have made a fortune. Knowing the pettiness/vindictiveness of tin pot bureaucrats who've been embarrassed, I suspect that they might begin a private vendetta against those who they feel caused the embarrassment that when exposed would again lead to still even more public embarrassment.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 6:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The response from the talking heads on TV is indeed a sign of stupidity that passes for "journalism" or that is allowed to pass by whatever passes for "journalism" today:
I hear Schools of Journalism are where you go when you can't hack being in a School of Education. "Those who can't, teach."
Old Dec 10, 2009, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
MSNBC places the blame er credit

MSNBC says who did it. 5 TSA workers put on leave over online posting

"As a result, some Web sites, using widely available software, were able to uncover the original text of sections that had been blacked out for security reasons. On Sunday, the Wandering Aramean blog pointed out the document in a posting titled "The TSA makes another stupid move."

TSA had the document removed from the Federal Business Opportunity site on Dec. 6 but copies — with the redacted portions exposed — circulated on the Internet and remain posted on other Web sites not controlled by the government."

^^^^^

Prepare for return to obscurity. Begin countdown timer. Your 15 min of fame will expire in: 14:59, 14:58, . . .

add: MSNBC has a poll about TSA. Assume MSNBC readers are a more average cross section of the flying public than FTs. They are starting to get it. Overwhelming majority answer: "No. Airport security is a joke, and I don't feel secure."

Last edited by Flaflyer; Dec 10, 2009 at 8:22 am Reason: add
Old Dec 10, 2009, 8:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Flaflyer
add: MSNBC has a poll about TSA. Assume MSNBC readers are a more average cross section of the flying public than FTs. They are starting to get it. Overwhelming majority answer: "No. Airport security is a joke, and I don't feel secure."
Ronnie, please take note.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 9:03 am

Identity Project analysis of SOP and related FOIA requests

The Identity project has posted an analysis of what we think is significant about the Screening Management SOP (including a comparison with the redacted excertps we obtained ealrier under FOIA) and an update on our pending FOIA appeal for the current Screening Management SOP and our other pending FOIA requests for other screening SOPs and related documents:

http://www.papersplease.org/wp/2009/...ld-procedures/
Old Dec 10, 2009, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Flaflyer
That is what was being picked up yesterday afternoon, but we don't know what positions those five hold.

I now know that this is a big story since the Houston Chronicle's political cartoon was about the incident. But once again, the focus is wrong. While I have found certain items interesting (such as the "Unpredictable Screening Process", which is almost always violated when I have observed a checkpoint), those are not SSI and have been out there before. More interesting is what the TSA considers to be SSI and their reaction to this charlie foxtrot.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 10:10 am

"Napolitano added, however, that "the traveling public was not at risk.""

Incompetence is apparently not contagious, but I am staying away from air travel as a precaution.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 10:30 am

Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
Originally Posted by IslandBased
"Napolitano added, however, that "the traveling public was not at risk.""

Incompetence is apparently not contagious, but I am staying away from air travel as a precaution.
Do you really think that you are more at risk than before this document was released? I've read all 93 pages, and don't feel unsafe by any of that info being made public. As for incompetence, well, that was there well before this all became public...
Old Dec 10, 2009, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Probably of no importance but I don't recall seeing any statements from the TSA Acting Administrator commenting on this story.

I'm starting to wonder just who is really in charge at TSA?

Has the plug been pulled?
Old Dec 10, 2009, 10:47 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Probably of no importance but I don't recall seeing any statements from the TSA Acting Administrator commenting on this story.

I'm starting to wonder just who is really in charge at TSA?

Has the plug been pulled?
Pulling the plug on TSA would be a wonderful Christmas present!

Santa, will you get Congress to cooperate, please?
Old Dec 10, 2009, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Spiff
Pulling the plug on TSA would be a wonderful Christmas present!

Santa, will you get Congress to cooperate, please?
Well, while I agree with you that would be to much to hope for.

I'm just curious about the apparent silence/mia of TSA's acting leader.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by BarbiJKM
Do you really think that you are more at risk than before this document was released? I've read all 93 pages, and don't feel unsafe by any of that info being made public. As for incompetence, well, that was there well before this all became public...
No, I don't feel at risk at all, in spite of losing a parent in a light plane crash several decades ago.

I haven't read through the entire document. So far it is rather dull and lusterless reading.

I just haven't made any air travel plans lately. In fact, I live within walking distance of our local terminal, and haven't even seen the most recent uniforms. I have been over to General Aviation to pick up friends. I must say that Airport Watch seems to do essentially the same job as TSA in a much more civil and competent way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.