Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2009, 1:55 am

As a matter of interest I take it Phil ist trying to get this to court and possibly even to superiour court to "test" the limits of the requirement right?

Did he have to do it this way is there no other way a US court will check what laws or requirments that are passed to see if they conform with the constitution?
Old Nov 17, 2009, 3:09 am

Originally Posted by pmocek
I haven't read more than the first page of this post, but I thought I'd pop in and say that I was released about an hour ago and am in the lobby of the hotel where my colleague and I are staying, IMing with folks back at CDC. Apparently there's an attorney who's interested and wanted me to call at any hour when I got out, so I'm trying to get into my room to use the phone. All my belongings, save clothes on my back and cash, are still at the ABQ police station.

I'm deeply, deeply, thankful to all the support that's turning up. The Internet paid my bail!
I am glad you are out, for a minute I thought I was going to need to make some "Phree Phil" t-shirts.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by moeve
As a matter of interest I take it Phil ist trying to get this to court and possibly even to superiour court to "test" the limits of the requirement right?

Did he have to do it this way is there no other way a US court will check what laws or requirments that are passed to see if they conform with the constitution?
As I understand the system, yes. The American jurisprudence system operates on an adversarial system (here, too). That's why they're calling it a "test case"--such cases are used to challenge laws or policies which are believed to be illegal or unconstitutional, since courts cannot simply review laws at their will.

On top of that, unless I'm mistaken, the judge's decision won't become part of case law (binding precedent) unless it's taken to (or originally heard in) an appellate court.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 4:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
I've got to believe he did everything right. If he violated some sort of trespassing at the airport law or some some sort of photography law, one would think that the cops would have charged him as such. One would also have to believe that an airport cop, for Pete's sake, would know what's legal and illegal at his airport.

As others have stated, I wouldn't be surprised if the cops drop all charges. They exerted their pound of flesh by arresting a known protester exercising his Constitutional rights. The only problem is that they picked on the wrong guy. We can only hope that a TSA screener or two goes down as well.
Motto of police departments nationwide:

"You might beat the rap, but you won't beat the ride."
Old Nov 17, 2009, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by N830MH
How do you know tracking him where he is out of jails now? He will be stay away from ABQ airport property. If he anywhere near back to the terminals. ABQ police will eventually to be arrested again for charge trespassing. He could be faced sentences for 30-days in county jails.
On what basis do you believe that if he went back to ABQ he would be arrested again? And just how do you want him to get back to Seattle? He had a ticket out of ABQ.

So do you think that what he did (based solely on the facts as we currently understand them) was justification for arrest (i.e., taking photos near the screening checkpoint or not presenting ID to the TSA)?
Old Nov 17, 2009, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Trollkiller
TSA checkpoints are not Federal reservations. Even if they were it would be proper for local law enforcement to facilitate an arrest. There is a Federal statute that allows this.

I have to hit they hay but it is the same law that lets local cops arrest someone for nudity on a Federal beach like Canaveral National Seashore Titusville (Playalinda). Sorry you will have to hunt it up yourself.
I'm not sure of the legal status of federal checkpoints but it is clear that federal penalties can be assessed by TSA. Perhaps all legal entities have jurisdiction.

I would certainly investigate moving charges to federal jurisdiction.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I'm not sure of the legal status of federal checkpoints but it is clear that federal penalties can be assessed by TSA. Perhaps all legal entities have jurisdiction.

Yeah, that's true. Lost in all of this is that the TSA can unilaterally issue Phil civil fines in their Kangaroo Court with absolutely no due process available to him.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
I haven't read more than the first page of this post, but I thought I'd pop in and say that I was released about an hour ago and am in the lobby of the hotel where my colleague and I are staying, IMing with folks back at CDC. Apparently there's an attorney who's interested and wanted me to call at any hour when I got out, so I'm trying to get into my room to use the phone. All my belongings, save clothes on my back and cash, are still at the ABQ police station.

I'm deeply, deeply, thankful to all the support that's turning up. The Internet paid my bail!
Congrats on getting out ... hope the stay wasn't too bad. Good luck on your defense, very much rooting for you!!
Old Nov 17, 2009, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by MKEbound
From the TSA: "If a traveler is unwilling or unable to produce a valid form of ID, the traveler is required to undergo additional screening at the checkpoint to gain access to the secured area of the airport."
But yet Blogger Bob said in his post yesterday:

If we can’t confirm your identity with the information you provide or you’re not willing to provide us with the information to help us make a determination, you may not be able to fly [emphasis added].
This is what I saw on the TSA website:

Passengers who do not or cannot present an acceptable ID will have to provide information to the Transportation Security Officer performing Travel Document Checking duties in order to verify their identity. Passengers who are cleared through this process may be subject to additional screening. Passengers whose identity cannot be verified by TSA may not be allowed to go through the checkpoint or onto an airplane.
So if you are unwilling to produce ID, are you only subject to undergo additional screening or might the TSA say you can't go. Since June 2008 I thought it was the latter, which was the cause of much angst.

Last edited by ND Sol; Nov 17, 2009 at 5:16 am Reason: Added info from TSA Website
Old Nov 17, 2009, 5:05 am

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold

Aren't those civil penalties though? He wasn't 'interfering' with the security process since he wasn't even at the screening point. Phil apparently angered a TSA supervisor to the point that the supervisor was in a foaming at the mouth snit fit. Too bad the supervisor didn't know how to handle situations like this and way overreacted to a situation that should have been covered in the SOP (wonder if that supervisor ever bothered to read it).
Old Nov 17, 2009, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AngryMiller
Aren't those civil penalties though? He wasn't 'interfering' with the security process since he wasn't even at the screening point. Phil apparently angered a TSA supervisor to the point that the supervisor was in a foaming at the mouth snit fit. Too bad the supervisor didn't know how to handle situations like this and way overreacted to a situation that should have been covered in the SOP (wonder if that supervisor ever bothered to read it).
Civil penalties brought by a federal employee and enforced by federal authority.

I don't know where P was at the time of the incident but it seems reasonable that he was at the TDC podium and had started the screening process. LEO was called by a federal employee from reports I have read.

I think trying to keep this at the federal level would focus the complaints to TSA requirements.

And yes it seems another TSA "supervisor" was poorly prepared for the position held.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 5:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AngryMiller
Apparently the prerequisite for 3 stripes is to be a complete douchenozzle.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 5:44 am

I think you misunderstood my point.

TSO's are not LEO's that point is clear.

But, is a TSA checkpoint a federal reservation? I think a case could be made that the area controlled by TSA is federal property and that Federal LEO's should be the ones to affect an arrest if required, not local or state LEO's.
I dont believe that checkpoints are federal reservations. The areas are usually leased from the airport authority by the TSA but are not owned by the TSA. I'm not an attorney and not well versed in property laws, but I believe that is the way it works.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by N830MH
I'm glad to hear from you again and you will have to stay away from ABQ airport property. If you anywhere near back to the terminals. ABQ police would be arrest you again as charge of trespassing. Please be respectable to obey the laws. Next time you should show out ID & BP before you are entrance into the sterile areas. If you do it again in the future. ABQ police will eventually to be arrest you as charge of first-degree misdemeanor. You should have try to understanding that you are not permitted go back to the terminals without ticket. You have to listen with TSA and Please do follow any specific rules or regulations. You should show the ID & BP along with you.
Sometimes I wonder if your posts are serious or not. If you are serious about this, (1) you're completely wrong and (2) it's not likely going to happen.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 6:22 am

Did you leave all of your stuff because you wanted to get as far away as possible or is your property seized?

On what basis did they claim for removing your friend?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.