Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2009, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by MKEbound
One TSO can decide that he has the authority to detain or have a man arrested for not breaking any laws, but for a much worst offense: standing up for his rights to travel!
This may be a good test case. But no TSO anywhere has the power to arrest anyone. The arrest was made by a police officer. Every arrest is made by a police officer.

As a manager, I work alongside LEOs every day. They treat me well, and we talk. However none of them are going to allow me or anyone else to tell them who to arrest.

castro
Old Nov 17, 2009, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by AngryMiller
Losing a lawsuit.
A lawsuit for what?

A TSO has no power of arrest, so he didn't arrest the passenger. Someone in TSA called the police. Hardly makes one liable for a huge judgement in a lawsuit.

castro
Old Nov 17, 2009, 3:13 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by castrobenes
A lawsuit for what?

A TSO has no power of arrest, so he didn't arrest the passenger. Someone in TSA called the police. Hardly makes one liable for a huge judgement in a lawsuit.

castro
I agree. From the post we have, it looks like the police showed up almost instantly. I can't see the TSA as a defendant in a lawsuit. This isn't like the cash incident where the TSA drove the whole investigation.

We need the TSO's statements to the police.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 3:14 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
A lawsuit for what?

castro
According to the news (again rely on the news at your own risk), a TSA supervisor went ballistic when Phil began recording the incident. When the local police showed up he was immediately taken into custody and charged. Suspect that that TSA supervisor was heavily involved in having Phil arrested. The legal minutiae/wrestling will leave that up to the lawyers. What was said/done on camera may provide evidence in a lawsuit.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 3:17 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The legal minutiae/wrestling will leave that up to the lawyers. What was said/done on camera may provide evidence in a lawsuit.
Do we have confirmation that the video made it away safely? Was it with the friend?
Old Nov 17, 2009, 3:35 pm

According to the news (again rely on the news at your own risk), a TSA supervisor went ballistic when Phil began recording the incident. When the local police showed up he was immediately taken into custody and charged. Suspect that that TSA supervisor was heavily involved in having Phil arrested. The legal minutiae/wrestling will leave that up to the lawyers. What was said/done on camera may provide evidence in a lawsuit.
It is absolutely meaningless to say that anyone from TSA was "heavily involved" in having someone arrested. Law enforcement officers are trained and accountable for knowing the legality of making an arrest. If the officer made a mistake in arresting the passenger, he alone is responsible.

The only way anyone from TSA is responsible for the arrest is if they lied to the police officer. In which case they would certainly be subject to a lawsuit.

It boggles me that people on this forum think that any LEO would ask a non-LEO for advice about who to arrest. They would ask questions, and determine what happened. But they are going to make the decision about arrest without the STSO's input.

castro
Old Nov 17, 2009, 4:04 pm

A lawsuit for what?

castro
You may want to review the Arabic t-shirt lawsuit. As you may or may not recall the TSOs involved were sued for violating the rights of Raed Jarrar, the TSA was not sued.

The supervisor that called the police and the individual officers may be on the hook for violating Phil's rights. (This assumes the "facts" that we have heard are true.)
Old Nov 17, 2009, 4:20 pm

It is absolutely meaningless to say that anyone from TSA was "heavily involved" in having someone arrested. Law enforcement officers are trained and accountable for knowing the legality of making an arrest. If the officer made a mistake in arresting the passenger, he alone is responsible.

The only way anyone from TSA is responsible for the arrest is if they lied to the police officer. In which case they would certainly be subject to a lawsuit.
This is purely hypothetical to show how the TSA can be "heavily involved":

1. TSO tells LEO that passenger refused to produce ID, which is in violation of TSA regulations, so LEO decides to arrest passenger for "concealing identity." But is there really a legal regulation that states that? The LEO depends on the TSO for that.

2. TSO says that passenger can't enter the sterile area if the passenger refuses to produce ID. Passenger continues to refuse and again requests entry. TSO tells LEO that passenger wouldn't leave after TSO told him to. LEO arrests him for "criminal trespass" based on the TSO's assertion of a legal regulation that you can't enter the checkpoint if you refuse to provide ID. But is it legal?

3. TSO tells LEO that passenger then started to film him and the checkpoint including the SSI monitors even after the TSO told him to stop. TSO tells LEO that it is against regulations to film checkpoints and SSI. So LEO decides to arrest passenger for "disturbing the peace." Remember Phil sent out requests to the TSA located at over 40 airports on the ability to take photographs at the screening checkpoint. He received responses from fewer than half and of those only about half gave a conclusive response. And until recently ISP had a sign above the checkpoint that said "No Photography." So I am sure that some TSO's do think that photography may be prohibited.

4. Following scenario 3, the LEO tells him to stop filming as that is not legal under TSA regulations and passenger asserts that it is legal and he has the proof. TSO reiterates that it is not permissible, so LEO arrests passenger for "failure to obey an officer."

I think that takes care of all four charges.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by ND Sol
This is purely hypothetical to show how the TSA can be "heavily involved":

1. TSO tells LEO that passenger refused to produce ID, which is in violation of TSA regulations, so LEO decides to arrest passenger for "concealing identity." But is there really a legal regulation that states that? The LEO depends on the TSO for that.

2. TSO says that passenger can't enter the sterile area if the passenger refuses to produce ID. Passenger continues to refuse and again requests entry. TSO tells LEO that passenger wouldn't leave after TSO told him to. LEO arrests him for "criminal trespass" based on the TSO's assertion of a legal regulation that you can't enter the checkpoint if you refuse to provide ID. But is it legal?

3. TSO tells LEO that passenger then started to film him and the checkpoint including the SSI monitors even after the TSO told him to stop. TSO tells LEO that it is against regulations to film checkpoints and SSI. So LEO decides to arrest passenger for "disturbing the peace." Remember Phil sent out requests to the TSA located at over 40 airports on the ability to take photographs at the screening checkpoint. He received responses from fewer than half and of those only about half gave a conclusive response. And until recently ISP had a sign above the checkpoint that said "No Photography." So I am sure that some TSO's do think that photography may be prohibited.

4. Following scenario 3, the LEO tells him to stop filming as that is not legal under TSA regulations and passenger asserts that it is legal and he has the proof. TSO reiterates that it is not permissible, so LEO arrests passenger for "failure to obey an officer."

I think that takes care of all four charges.
EDIT: Weirdness This wonked or something. I will try it again.

That sounds about right.

When I explained to my son the charges Phil faces he nodded his head on everything but criminal trespass. He said "How in the heck did they toss that one in there? He is only 12 but he gets it. I am so proud.

Last edited by Trollkiller; Nov 17, 2009 at 5:01 pm
Old Nov 17, 2009, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's a link to Phil's case on the court's website. Trial is set for Feb 5:

http://www.metrocourt.state.nm.us/ca...573709&defno=1

In case the court doesn't allow deep links, here's the front door link (search for "mosack p"):

http://www.metrocourt.state.nm.us/ca....jsp?form=case
Old Nov 17, 2009, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by Ari
YOU are the one making assumptions. You seem to take as fact that they caused a "disturbance". Were you there? You seem sure that he chose to "start a scene" so I was hoping you could give us your whole eyewitness account.
Earth to AH Earth to AH what the hell are you talking about? Give me your phone number or address and I'll tell you!!
Old Nov 17, 2009, 6:34 pm
Suspended

Incident mentioned on Photography Is Not A Crime.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by n4zhg
Incident mentioned on Photography Is Not A Crime.
How do we get the mainstream media to pick up on this?
Old Nov 17, 2009, 6:59 pm

It boggles me that people on this forum think that any LEO would ask a non-LEO for advice about who to arrest. They would ask questions, and determine what happened. But they are going to make the decision about arrest without the STSO's input.

castro
The Bierfeldt/St. Louis incident proves otherwise. I seem to recall from the recording the TSO was heavily involved after the police were brought in. I have no doubt that the TSA supervisor pitched a fit and the arrest was made because of this. The video will be the only unbiased witness to this incident.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 7:26 pm

Programs: TSA TSO
Originally Posted by PTravel
Oy.

1. Immigration Officers are LEOs, i.e. they have the power of arrest and detention.

2. 4th and 5th Amendment rights do not pertain (at least to the same extent) at U.S. borders.

3. TSOs are not LEOs and do not have the power of arrest and detention.

4. TSOs are constrained to an administrative search which is confined to ensuring against entry into the sterile area with weapons, explosives or incendiaries. This search must be "minimally intrusive."

There is no comparison between what happens at Immigration upon entering the country and what happens at airports with respect to flying on a commercial aircraft.

I'm surprised you don't this.
I do know that. I just found BD's statement silly because the above factors you are mentioning (minus the TSA ones). He states he doesn't want to present ID to any agent of the government... yet CBP needs to see a passport to complete the entry process. (Albeit that doesn't apply to BD because he's a citizen.)

Nevertheless, they can hold and question BD as long as they like because of the exceptions to the law provided to CBP. They still have to let him to the country, but nothing stops them from holding and harassing him with an intense grilling from the officer and his superiors.

Originally Posted by Trollkiller
How do we get the mainstream media to pick up on this?
Whine to Fox News, seeing as they jumped on the Bierfeldt thing. Because Infowars is a just a looney-bin.

Last edited by LoganTSO; Nov 17, 2009 at 7:48 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.