Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2009, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seems PV has been real quiet since this story broke.

Wonder why?
Old Nov 18, 2009, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by ND Sol
I was told by an assistant city attorney a little over a month ago that it was in the process of coming down if it hadn't already. And I used your picture (without you in it) to show them the offending sign.
I was at ISP this past weekend and didn't see the sign. It's possible I missed it (was carting around a 6 month old baby), but I didn't see anything.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Seems PV has been real quiet since this story broke.

Wonder why?
As much as I love a good conspiracy theory ... there have been plenty of other times that the TSA Blog has become sporadic in its updates, that had nothing to do with the subject matter du jour. From what I can tell, Blogger Bob is the TSA Blog, and if he gets assigned to do something else, the blog mostly sits idle.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 10:38 am

Programs: DL, WN, US, Avis, AA
Originally Posted by peachfront
Too bad we can't work with TSA instead of as adversaries. We all have the same goal, a safe flight.
I'd like to see a cooperative attitude between frequent flyers and TSA as well. The current adversarial relationship seems to be growing worse all the time.

Unfortunately, I disagree with us having the same goal.

My goal is a reasonably safe flight, consistent with personal dignity and preservation of the rights I am supposed to enjoy as a citizen. I am perfectly willing to sacrifice some degree of "safety" in order to preserve other things which I regard as more precious.

TSA's goal appears to be to make a show of security - focusing on public displays while ignoring things that happen behind the scenes (e.g. failing to secure air freight, no screening of material brought into the sterile area for resale, etc.). Empire building is the actual goal, safe air travel is a distant second. TSA is perfectly willing to sacrifice some degree of "safety" for passengers in order to preserve other things which it regards as more precious.

TSA's goals and the goals of frequent flyers have some commonality, but with TSA's growing, arrogant overreach the two sets of goals are diverging more and more each day.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
As much as I love a good conspiracy theory ... there have been plenty of other times that the TSA Blog has become sporadic in its updates, that had nothing to do with the subject matter du jour. From what I can tell, Blogger Bob is the TSA Blog, and if he gets assigned to do something else, the blog mostly sits idle.
I was thinking more in line with a rethinking of public statements and such.

TSA has taken some hard lumps recently and the news reports seem more frequent and less in favor of all things TSA.

They not only have an image problem but a functional problem as well.

My personal opinion is that the TSA blog has done more to bring attention to TSA's shortcomings than anything else over the last couple of years.

The TSA blog provided an excellent method of communication but was squandered by using it mostly as a propaganda outlet.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 11:18 am

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Originally Posted by peachfront
IMHO, all it will do for "our" future travels is make it more difficult, by hardening the attitude of the TSA toward flyers who don't have ID. Most of those flyers will be victims of robbery, pickpockets, and so on, and having yet another barrier in their path home isn't an improvement. Too bad we can't work with TSA instead of as adversaries. We all have the same goal, a safe flight.
. . . Then they came for me.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
This is the time that we could really use Cletus the Slack-Jawed Yokel Francine the Googling Lawyer.

Mike
Old Nov 18, 2009, 11:29 am

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Originally Posted by Trollkiller
How do we get the mainstream media to pick up on this?
Phil would have had to have been wearing a tracksuit to get the mainstream media coverage.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by youreadyfreddie
Phil would have had to have been wearing a tracksuit to get the mainstream media coverage.
We're gonna be joking about that track suit long after anyone remembers why, aren't we?

Mike
Old Nov 18, 2009, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by mikeef
This is the time that we could really use Cletus the Slack-Jawed Yokel Francine the Googling Lawyer.

Mike
She's probably busy Googling and not finding an easy answer.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 2:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by Trollkiller
Does UK law extend into the US?
To the same extent that U.S. law extends overseas, such a prosecuting U.S. citizens for having sex with under 18 year olds in countries where they are over the local age of consent, for example.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by polonius
To the same extent that U.S. law extends overseas, such a prosecuting U.S. citizens for having sex with under 18 year olds in countries where they are over the local age of consent, for example.
That was the example I was thinking of.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 3:37 pm

Location: NY by birth, BNA by choice - soon YXE, the SKY by virtue.
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I wish Phil all the best - so far none of us has shown near the same cojones to pull off something like this.
I would love to be a test case such as this and certainly have the convictions to carry it through. The only reason I have not done so is because we all know that "justice" costs money in this country. I do not have the finances to ensure good representation and I am not willing to risk a criminal record in absence of it.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 3:48 pm

Programs: NWA, Delta, Sofitel, Marriott, Fairmont, etc.
Agree

Originally Posted by Paolo01
I really just do not understand this argument. I love the freedom that we have in the US to not show ID doing 90% of what we do. I love the fact that I have driven across the US at least 8 times and you never have to show ID at any point. You just have freedom to roam in this country. I love it. On the other hand, it seems perfectly reasonable to me that in order to board an airplane, the airline or the TSA would want to verify that you are the person that the boarding pass says that you are. I have heard all of the arguments against this and they all sound like a 10 yo arguing about why something isn't 'fair'. Now, if you can demonstrate to me that we can go back to the days of no ID to board an airplane, then let's hear it, but I see no way this can be seen as even inconvenient.

By the way, I cannot watch the video on my current machine so I have not actually seen waht happened, just what is related on this thread.
I agree. You only have to show ID if you want to go through security and, perhaps, take a plane. This isn't unreasonable, and I think I'm safer for it. Has everyone forgotten 9-11?
Old Nov 18, 2009, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by T-the-B
TSA's goal appears to be to make a show of security - focusing on public displays while ignoring things that happen behind the scenes (e.g. failing to secure air freight, no screening of material brought into the sterile area for resale, etc.).

And that's why security is best referred to as the theatre.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.