Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2009, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I'm not sure of the legal status of federal checkpoints but it is clear that federal penalties can be assessed by TSA. Perhaps all legal entities have jurisdiction.
I have never heard of this...can you clarify/expound? AFAIK the TSA cannot issue any form of citation or penalty beyond DY...T

I would certainly investigate moving charges to federal jurisdiction.
The charges are not federal, and its really not pmocek's prerogative to dictate charging. The charges are rather basic and occurred on state/city property with state/city LEOs making them the most appropriate use of jurisdiction.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TSORon
I dont believe that checkpoints are federal reservations. The areas are usually leased from the airport authority by the TSA but are not owned by the TSA. I'm not an attorney and not well versed in property laws, but I believe that is the way it works.
Federal Reservation may not be the proper term but it is clear that control of the checkpoints is by TSA an entity of the federal government. I'm not sure that ownership is a deciding factor either, I seem to remember some military bases that are on land that has long term leases but ownership of the land itself was retained by some other party. Hence TSA rules and federal law should be the controlling factor in the TSA checkpoint boundaries.

Going back to your Air Force days, did civilian state or local LEO's have the right to enter the base and carry out law enforcement activities on their own authority?

I see a TSA checkpoint in the exact same light, just a much smaller piece of real estate. I could very well be wrong but it seems an interesting point of discussion.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by avsfan733
I have never heard of this...can you clarify/expound? AFAIK the TSA cannot issue any form of citation or penalty beyond DY...T
You may want to review this thread about fines.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 7:45 am

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by avsfan733
Quick overview.

Individuals are covered in section V, on page 7.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 7:49 am

Federal Reservation may not be the proper term but it is clear that control of the checkpoints is by TSA an entity of the federal government. I'm not sure that ownership is a deciding factor either, I seem to remember some military bases that are on land that has long term leases but ownership of the land itself was retained by some other party. Hence TSA rules and federal law should be the controlling factor in the TSA checkpoint boundaries.

Going back to your Air Force days, did civilian state or local LEO's have the right to enter the base and carry out law enforcement activities on their own authority?

I see a TSA checkpoint in the exact same light, just a much smaller piece of real estate. I could very well be wrong but it seems an interesting point of discussion.
See Post #96. The state can have many LEO functions on land leased or owned by the Feds. We had one part of our Army post that was proprietary, which meant that the local LEO's had jurisdiction. Now that doesn't negate the fact that if two soldiers got in an altercation in that area that the MP's didn't have jurisdiction, but if it was non-military, it was the locals primary responsibility. I would imagine it would be much the same with the checkpoints.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 7:49 am

Has anyone requested the video of the checkpoint through a FOIA? Is there a local equivalent that needs to be used instead?
Old Nov 17, 2009, 7:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The TSA can levy civil penalties (not quite a 'fine', but close) which you can refuse to pay and then appeal to an Administrative Law Judge. The Judge can dismiss the fine or uphold it - but either way someone outside of the TSA is ruling on the merit of their action.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by polonius
I have a UK driving licence, and it is illegal under UK law to ask for or to present a driving licence for any purpose other than verification of current driving privileges, so presuming I show up with no other ID, that would mean TSA was trying to force me to break the law.
Originally Posted by Mr. Mastodon Flyer
EDIT: I think you're just confused. A quick Google search reveals tons of reputable businesses and government agencies in the UK accept a "driving licence" as proof of identity for purposes wholly unrelated to driving.
The truth may be somewhere in between. (Disclaimer: I have absolutely no understanding of UK law.) It might be possible, for instance, for UK law to prohibit a business from requiring the production of a driver's license for non-driving purposes, while permitting a person to voluntarily produce it for other purposes. In that case, a UK business might ask a customer to produce documents of their choice to prove their identity, of which a driver's license would be an acceptable choice.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by pmocek
Thanks for the reminder. I won't say anything about this publicly until after I've discussed options with an attorney. Everything you may have seen posted other than my quick "I'm back" here and on philosecurity.com was pulled together by people other than me.
Good thinking, Phil. Glad you're out.

If your attorney says anything publicly, please share it so we can be updated.

Fight the good fight on this. The community's behind you - and not just in spirit.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by moeve
As a matter of interest I take it Phil ist trying to get this to court and possibly even to superiour court to "test" the limits of the requirement right?

Did he have to do it this way is there no other way a US court will check what laws or requirments that are passed to see if they conform with the constitution?
The way the legal system is set up in the US, one has to be injured by a law before it could be challenged. It was designed to prevent people from frivolously challenging laws that they didn't agree with. While it's good at that, it also means if a law should be challenged, someone has to have the stones to be willing to pay the price with what that involves. Hats off to Phil for challenging the law. I hope he consulted with an attorney prior to this to make it an air tight challenge.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ND Sol
See Post #96. The state can have many LEO functions on land leased or owned by the Feds. We had one part of our Army post that was proprietary, which meant that the local LEO's had jurisdiction. Now that doesn't negate the fact that if two soldiers got in an altercation in that area that the MP's didn't have jurisdiction, but if it was non-military, it was the locals primary responsibility. I would imagine it would be much the same with the checkpoints.
I did read what you wrote in #96. What agreements or law determines how a federal property is policed?
Old Nov 17, 2009, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Superguy
The way the legal system is set up in the US, one has to be injured by a law before it could be challenged. It was designed to prevent people from frivolously challenging laws that they didn't agree with. While it's good at that, it also means if a law should be challenged, someone has to have the stones to be willing to pay the price with what that involves. Hats off to Phil for challenging the law. I hope he consulted with an attorney prior to this to make it an air tight challenge.
^

My thanks, too, Phil, for your civil disobedience. ^
Old Nov 17, 2009, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moeve
As a matter of interest I take it Phil ist trying to get this to court and possibly even to superiour court to "test" the limits of the requirement right?

Did he have to do it this way is there no other way a US court will check what laws or requirments that are passed to see if they conform with the constitution?
Courts cannot issue advisory opinions, i.e. a court won't hear a matter unless it's "ripe" (a legal term of art) and brought by a litigant who has "standing" (another legal term of art), i.e. there is an actual case in controversy.

Originally Posted by jackal
As I understand the system, yes. The American jurisprudence system operates on an adversarial system (here, too). That's why they're calling it a "test case"--such cases are used to challenge laws or policies which are believed to be illegal or unconstitutional, since courts cannot simply review laws at their will.
That's correct.

On top of that, unless I'm mistaken, the judge's decision won't become part of case law (binding precedent) unless it's taken to (or originally heard in) an appellate court.
That's not correct. District Court opinions are published when they are of sufficient interest. However, a District Court case is not binding on any other court -- it is considered merely persuasive authority. Appellate opinions are binding only in the circuit in which they are issued -- they are merely persuasive everywhere else. Unless other circuits follow the original circuits opinion, the original opinion is not the law elsewhere. Frequently, splits of authority arise, i.e. one circuit ruling one way, another ruling the other way. That can only be resolved by the U.S. Supreme Court.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 9:08 am

I did read what you wrote in #96. What agreements or law determines how a federal property is policed?
It is in the granting document or the lease generally. Sometimes, there will be an agreement for lands already owned by the federal gov't for a long time that will allocate jurisdiction. I would believe that if the issue is not addressed in the lease, the jurisdiction remains with the local authority.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 9:10 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by pmocek
I haven't read more than the first page of this post, but I thought I'd pop in and say that I was released about an hour ago and am in the lobby of the hotel where my colleague and I are staying, IMing with folks back at CDC. Apparently there's an attorney who's interested and wanted me to call at any hour when I got out, so I'm trying to get into my room to use the phone. All my belongings, save clothes on my back and cash, are still at the ABQ police station.

I'm deeply, deeply, thankful to all the support that's turning up. The Internet paid my bail!
Phil
;I'm glad you are out/ I left my comments on the blog & will continue to follow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.