Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2009, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by gj83
I say props! I wish I had the guts to do this, but i'm too passive-aggressive.
http://www.azstarnet.com/allheadlines/235184 Apparently Phil flies without ID often.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 5:48 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ND Sol
Looks like New Mexico is a stop and identify state. So if Phil refused to state his name to the LEO's (which we don't know at this time is true), then the question becomes did the LEO's have “specific, objective facts establishing reasonable suspicion to believe the suspect was involved in criminal activity.”
As long as he handed over his boarding pass, he should be golden. @:-)
Old Nov 16, 2009, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Trollkiller
I found this piece very interesting:

It is unclear whether police were called because of Phil's refusal to show ID to TSA, or because Phil took photos at the TSA checkpoint. It appears to be the latter -- the photo taking. Interestingly, Phil contacted the Albuquerque airport (scroll down a bit and look for the pmocek posts) many months ago about this very same issue, and was told by airport officials that it is legal to take photographs at the TSA checkpoint.
Either way, I don't see this ending well for the TSA (aw shucks )
Old Nov 16, 2009, 6:10 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by txrus
I found this piece very interesting:

Taking pictures at the documents check station should be pretty harmless. Very low tech there (i.e. jeweler's loupe and a black light LED flashlight). Nothing to arouse any suspicion. Sort of sounds like an out of control, answerable to no one TSA supervisor went a bit berserk at the thought of anyone daring to question either him or one of his lesser minions.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by txrus
I hope you are right. Given Phil's background as a cannabis advocate and the numerous times he has flown without ID, I am hoping he did everything right for this to be a slam dunk court case.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 6:25 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
"Phil's Defense Fund

We've set up a Paypal account to raise funds to get Phil out of jail, and help defend him against these charges. Please consider contributing to Phil's legal defense."

Hope they update this with a link.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Trollkiller
I hope you are right. Given Phil's background as a cannabis advocate and the numerous times he has flown without ID, I am hoping he did everything right for this to be a slam dunk court case.
I've got to believe he did everything right. If he violated some sort of trespassing at the airport law or some some sort of photography law, one would think that the cops would have charged him as such. One would also have to believe that an airport cop, for Pete's sake, would know what's legal and illegal at his airport.

As others have stated, I wouldn't be surprised if the cops drop all charges. They exerted their pound of flesh by arresting a known protester exercising his Constitutional rights. The only problem is that they picked on the wrong guy. We can only hope that a TSA screener or two goes down as well.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff
No go.

No donate button and that link doesn't send me to a page where I can help.
Where you coming from http://cdc.coop/tsa_arrest the donate button is down the page between the Updates and the main story.

The page I got from the donate link said

Cannabis Defense Coalition

Please enter your donation amount and click Update Total.
Purpose Donation amount Total
Phil Moceck's Defense Fund - Arrested for taking photos at TSA checkpoint

Reference: phil
$ $
Old Nov 16, 2009, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA PLT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bocastephen
The nuance that might have set the Smurfs aflutter could have been the difference between "Oops, I forgot my drivers license. What can we do?" and "Sorry, I'm not going to show you my ID".

Can any of our forum legal experts provide some context around how long it is legal to be held in a jail cell without formal charges, and beyond that, until arraigned?

Isn't there a time limit before Habeus Corpus is essentially violated?
I will try to answer this question as best i can.

The time from arrest to presentation before a judge for either arriagnment of formal charges can vary. (gee isn't that convienent). The basic rule of thumb that is used is that the delay cannot be unreasonable. Most areas that i have seen typically try to have the charges and bail set within 8 hours for relatively common offenses. For more complex or less common offenses, i have seen it take between 24 and 48 hours (typically these are weekend arrests for big crimes like murder.) Also playing into the reasonable standard are other things that are going on related to the case. For example if the indication is that there may be more going on, they can hold the person longer until they can verify one way or the other on this.

Now even if the authorities drag their feet in doing everything the only real recourse a person has is a habeaous petition. On the rare occassion when they take too long a judge might dismiss the case, but that is rare.

To get to a more formal answer i would have to do a bit of research to get to the bottom of this. (most of the above is from my criminal procedure class)

As for the charges that are against our friend here, I think there are one or two that may stick depending on the overall facts. I think it is likely that the disorderly will get dismissed, unless the video shows a big scene getting created and the criminal trespass. I think the ones that will stick are the concelling identity and failure to obey. These are the two that are two that have the most wiggle room for the state. Specifically, NM may have a rule that a person must obey any lawful request from a LEO to the extent possible. Thus, if phil had a license or passport in his posession he may be required to produce it when demanded by an officer, so long as the request is lawful. Given that they have a statute for identity, the request may be lawful and thus the withholding of the actual ID when in possession could be the trip. (i hope this makes sense).

In the end, i am not sure how this is going to come out. My guess is that TSA comes out and says that ID is not required to fly, but if you have it in your possession then you must present it. They will use local laws to back up this position.

I hate the ID to pass the checkpoint rule. It does nothing. I can understand the airlines requiring it (they have a business reason), but not the feds to enter a sterile area.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 6:59 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by MSY-MSP

The time from arrest to presentation before a judge for either arriagnment of formal charges can vary. (gee isn't that convienent). The basic rule of thumb that is used is that the delay cannot be unreasonable. Most areas that i have seen typically try to have the charges and bail set within 8 hours for relatively common offenses. For more complex or less common offenses, i have seen it take between 24 and 48 hours (typically these are weekend arrests for big crimes like murder.) Also playing into the reasonable standard are other things that are going on related to the case. For example if the indication is that there may be more going on, they can hold the person longer until they can verify one way or the other on this.

Now even if the authorities drag their feet in doing everything the only real recourse a person has is a habeaous petition. On the rare occassion when they take too long a judge might dismiss the case, but that is rare.

To get to a more formal answer i would have to do a bit of research to get to the bottom of this. (most of the above is from my criminal procedure class)

As for the charges that are against our friend here, I think there are one or two that may stick depending on the overall facts. I think it is likely that the disorderly will get dismissed, unless the video shows a big scene getting created and the criminal trespass. I think the ones that will stick are the concelling identity and failure to obey. These are the two that are two that have the most wiggle room for the state. Specifically, NM may have a rule that a person must obey any lawful request from a LEO to the extent possible. Thus, if phil had a license or passport in his posession he may be required to produce it when demanded by an officer, so long as the request is lawful. Given that they have a statute for identity, the request may be lawful and thus the withholding of the actual ID when in possession could be the trip. (i hope this makes sense).

In the end, i am not sure how this is going to come out. My guess is that TSA comes out and says that ID is not required to fly, but if you have it in your possession then you must present it. They will use local laws to back up this position.

I hate the ID to pass the checkpoint rule. It does nothing. I can understand the airlines requiring it (they have a business reason), but not the feds to enter a sterile area.
The news article said that he was immediately arrested when the police showed up. If the news article is correct, then the police didn't ask for the ID, they just arrested him on the word of the TSA supervisor.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 6:59 pm

I'm curious (and stuck at work)....what if he didn't have a DL or a passport on him? What if he refused to give the officer his SSN, mothers maiden name, etc, etc........? Would that still fall under concealing identity you described?
Old Nov 16, 2009, 7:06 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the ones that will stick are the concelling identity and failure to obey. These are the two that are two that have the most wiggle room for the state. Specifically, NM may have a rule that a person must obey any lawful request from a LEO to the extent possible. Thus, if phil had a license or passport in his posession he may be required to produce it when demanded by an officer, so long as the request is lawful. Given that they have a statute for identity, the request may be lawful and thus the withholding of the actual ID when in possession could be the trip. (i hope this makes sense).
I read the failure to identify statute as proscribing the failure to identify, not the failure to produce identification. If he handed over his boarding pass, he did not conceal his name-- he in fact provided it-- and I don't see an issue.

There may be another statute that makes a DL property of the state and requires that it be presented to a peace officer on demand, but he isn't charged with violation that hypothetical statute.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by Ari
I read the failure to identify statute as proscribing the failure to identify, not the failure to produce identification. If he handed over his boarding pass, he did not conceal his name-- he in fact provided it-- and I don't see an issue.

There may be another statute that makes a DL property of the state and requires that it be presented to a peace officer on demand, but he isn't charged with violation that hypothetical statute.
I imagine Phil's DL belongs to Washington, not Arizona.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 7:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Ari
That's assuming he's required to have ID on him at all times, isn't it? After all, supposing he had his boarding pass but did not have any other ID on him - what then? I don't suppose the burden rests with TSA/LEO to prove that he is 'willfully and with malice aforethought' travelling with no ID on him (vs. having lost his ID or had it stolen).
Old Nov 16, 2009, 7:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
In the end, i am not sure how this is going to come out. My guess is that TSA comes out and says that ID is not required to fly, but if you have it in your possession then you must present it.
I think this has been addressed, both here and on POV. IIRC, TSA has wiggle room by saying exactly what you said - if you have it, you MUST present it. If you say you don't have it and they find it during the mandatory secondary, you are going to have a problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.