FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID
Old Nov 17, 2009, 8:07 am
jkhuggins

Originally Posted by polonius
I have a UK driving licence, and it is illegal under UK law to ask for or to present a driving licence for any purpose other than verification of current driving privileges, so presuming I show up with no other ID, that would mean TSA was trying to force me to break the law.
Originally Posted by Mr. Mastodon Flyer
EDIT: I think you're just confused. A quick Google search reveals tons of reputable businesses and government agencies in the UK accept a "driving licence" as proof of identity for purposes wholly unrelated to driving.
The truth may be somewhere in between. (Disclaimer: I have absolutely no understanding of UK law.) It might be possible, for instance, for UK law to prohibit a business from requiring the production of a driver's license for non-driving purposes, while permitting a person to voluntarily produce it for other purposes. In that case, a UK business might ask a customer to produce documents of their choice to prove their identity, of which a driver's license would be an acceptable choice.