Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2011, 3:33 pm

ABQ arrest: dealing with police encounters, remaining silent, jail

Originally Posted by Vitaforce
It took great courage to remember and assert your constitutional rights in such a stressful situation. Most people would not have naturally dealt with TSA and the police as professionally as you did.
Regarding asserting one's rights during police encounters, I highly recommend information from the Flex Your Rights Foundation. In particular, see their videos "BUSTED: The Citizen's Guide to Surviving Police Encounters" and "10 Rules for Dealing with the Police," and their FAQ.

At the end of the video, when you told the police officer you wished to remain silent did you remain silent on the way to jail and until your release?
Following is a transcript of my video from the point at which I stated that I'd remain silent until the end of the video:

Code:
time      elapsed   name      diaogue
---------- ---------- ------- ------------------------------------------
14:37:16  00:02:41  Mocek     I'm going to remai-- remain silent.
14:37:17  00:02:42  Dilley    Alright, let's go.
14:37:18  00:02:43  Mocek     I'd like to talk to an attorney.
14:37:18  00:02:43  Dilley    We're go-- we're gonna end up arresting you.  Come on, let's go.
14:37:22  00:02:47  Dilley    We're gonna search your property, and if we find I.D. on you-- on your property, we will arrest you
                              for concealing I.D.
14:37:39  00:03:04  Dilley    S15, 110. (radio 14:37:40)
14:37:43  00:03:08  Dilley    S15, 116. (radio 14:37:40 +00:00:04)
14:37:45  00:03:10  Dilley    There, sir.
14:37:48  00:03:13  Dilley    Actually, do me a favor.  I don't know what you have in your bags.  This officer's gonna take your
                              bags.  Put your bags.
14:37:54  00:03:19  Dilley    34 with me at uh 19, please. (radio 14:37:55)
14:37:56  00:03:21  Dilley    Place your bag down there, please, sir.
14:37:57  00:03:22  Mocek     I don't consent to any search.
14:37:58  00:03:23  Dilley    You're not being searched.  Place your bag down there.  And if we arrest you your property will be
                              searched without [inaudible] won't need to.
14:38:04  00:03:29  Mocek     I don't consent to any search.
14:38:04  00:03:29  Dilley    Place your other bag down.
14:38:09  00:03:34  Dilley    The officer [inaudible] bags for you.
14:38:11  00:03:36  Dilley    Gimme your camera.
14:38:12  00:03:37  Mocek     Can I get a receipt?

About 20 seconds later, an audio recording I received via public records request, which I believe to be part of Officer Wiggins' "belt tape" (created via handheld audio recorder that can be seen in his hand in my video; the files I received contain a gap beginning at that point), begins. Following is a transcript of that recording:

Code:
time      elapsed   name      text (police audio DW_A0008_1.wav begins; note 27 second gap between Mocek camera recording and this)
--------- --------- --------- ------------------------------------------
14:38:39  00:00:06  radio     negative, we're in route now (radio 14:38:33 +00:00:06)
14:38:58  00:00:19  Gallegos  Oh, we're not worried. [inaudible] We've got an hour or so [inaudible]
14:39:07  00:00:28  Gallegos  So I'm flying with my partner, but um, I got my I.D., um, What's the process that he's going through
                              now?
14:39:13  00:00:34  Wiggins   He's gonna be arrested.
                    Gallegos  He's gonna be arrested?
                    Wiggins   Yes, sir, for being stupid.
                    Gallegos  Really.
                    Wiggins   Yep.
                    Gallegos  Alright.  Hey, Phil.  Hey Phil, I'm staying.  Hey Phil.
14:39:22  00:00:43  Mocek     Yeah.
                    Gallegos  I'll stay in Albuquerque.
                    Mocek     Okay.  He said I'm under arrest.
                    Gallegos  Yeah, that's what just I heard.  So, uh--
14:39:27  00:00:48  Mocek     Officer DIE-lee.
                    Gallegos  So, um, what kind of info--  I'll jus-- I know, you'll be, we'll be at downtown Albuquerque?  Is he
                              going to Albuquerque downtown?
14:39:36  00:00:57  Wiggins   He's gonna be way the-- way out in the bushes
                    Dilley    Do me a favor
                    Gallegos  Well, I
                    Dilley    Do me a favor--
                    Gallegos  Can I you talk to you, sir?
                    Dilley    Not yet.
14:39:48  00:01:09  Wiggins   Hey, why don't we [inaudible] and search him get all his items off of him cause he turning on phones,
                              and everything else.  We don't know what he--  gonna bomb or something else, man.
14:39:55  00:01:16  Mocek     I don't consent to any search.  I don't have anything dangerous on me.
                    Dilley    Doesn't matter.  You're under arrest.  You don't have no options.  Let's go.
                    Wiggins   Let's, uh...  Hey, lemmee-- We could search him now, because we don't know what's on this guy.
                    Dilley    He's being searched for [inaudible]
                    Gallegos  Hey Phil.  I'll be around
14:40:08  00:01:29  Mocek     Okay.
                    Gallegos  I'm not leaving Albuquerque without you.
                    Mocek     Alright.
                    Gallegos  Just call me.  If you need help, call me.
                    Mocek     Okay.
                    Gallegos  [inaudible]
14:40:15  00:01:36  ?         The airport's under, uh, federal, uh, terrorist act.  High-- High, uh, security issues [inaudible] the
                              airport [inaudible] lawsuit
                    Wiggins   [inaudible] cell phone [inaudible] in his pocket [inaudible] it's activated
                    Dilley    Put your hands on your head please sir.
                    Mocek     On my head?
                    Dilley    Yes.
                    ?         [inaudible]
14:40:34  00:01:55  Dilley    [paper ruffling] He was concealing his ID.
14:40:39  00:02:00  ?         The only way you can get a pass is you have to have ID.  Only way to get a, uh, airline ticket's to
                              have an I.D.
14:40:45  00:02:06  Mocek     I'd like to talk to an attorney.  I'm gonna remain silent until then.
14:40:47  00:02:08  Dilley    Let's go.  Then please don't talk. Hands down, let's walk with us.  Do not speak [inaudible] not
                              speaking. [inaudible]
14:41:03  00:02:24  Dilley    Sir, stop walking.  Stand right there.
14:41:18  00:02:39  Dilley    Stop.  Okay, walk.  [inaudible] on the left
14:41:40  00:03:01  Gallegos  I called Ben.  [inaudible]
14:41:41  00:03:02  Mocek     Call Alison Holcomb.  She's here.
                    Gallegos  Okay.
14:41:47  00:03:08  Mocek     She's on our flight.
                    Gallegos  [inaudible]
14:41:54  00:03:15  Dilley    [inaudible] Right here. [inaudible]
14:41:58  00:03:19  Wiggins   Hey Jesus, gimme one of them chairs, man.  I'm a-- I'm gonna use it [inaudible] This stuff is
                              heavy.  And I'll bring it back, okay?
14:42:08  00:03:29  Dilley    Comm center, 116.  10-4.  We are en route with a 19. (radio 14:42:04)
14:42:21  00:03:42  Comm      10-4, 116.  Do you want to advise on what you have? (radio 14:42:16)
14:42:56  00:04:17  Dilley    We have a 16.  I'll advise you on the phone in a few moments. (radio 14:42:16 +00:00:05)
                    Comm      10-4 (radio 14:42:16 +00:00:21)
                    Dilley    In reference a 39.  (radio 14:42:16 +00:00:15)
                    Comm      That's 10-4. (radio 14:42:16 +00:00:19)
                    Comm      16, [inaudible] 15, you got a 82 with you? (radio 14:42:52)
                    Dilley    10-4.  135, 137.  (radio 14:42:52 +00:00:04)
                    Comm      116, 110, I'll go ahead and give comm center the 49, what I know about it. (radio 14:42:16 +00:00:16)
14:43:19  00:04:40  Dilley    10-4.  Can you get statements from all the TSA people? We need written statements from them.  Ask them
                              to be detailed please, especially Gerald. (radio 14:42:52 +00:00:23)
                    Comm      10-4. (radio 14:42:52 +00:00:34)
14:43:38  00:04:59  Dilley    Go in there [inaudible]
14:43:42  00:05:03  Wiggins   This thing's heavy, man.
14:43:54  00:05:15  Dilley    [inaudible] afterward [inaudible]
                    ?         [inaudible] wanna leave that in there
14:44:09  00:05:30  ?         [inaudible]
14:44:34  00:05:55  Dilley    Do you have a driver's license or anything in your stuff?
                    Mocek     I'm gonna remain silent.  I'd like to talk to an attorney.
14:44:41  00:06:02  Dilley    Okay, well we're gonna have to look through your bag for you to see if you do have an I.D.
14:44:44  00:06:05  Mocek     I don't consent to any search.
                    Dilley    Huh?
                    Mocek     I do not consent to any search.
                    Dilley    [inaudible]
14:45:32  00:06:53  ?         [inaudible]
14:46:06  00:07:27  ?         [inaudible]
14:46:13  00:07:34  Rojas     If he refuses to depart the area [inaudible] can charge him with criminal trespass, too.  Ah...
14:46:26  00:07:47  Dilley    He refused several times to leave.
                    Rojas     Okay. [inaudible] Don't forget the 90-day barment letter.
14:46:26  00:07:47  Dilley    Okay.  He's probably going to be uh, 16.  We might... Probably just end up arresting him, and do the
                              barment later on.  It's up to you.
                    Rojas     Okay.  How about-- Yeah, well, we need to make sure that we do a 90-day letter on him.
                    Dilley    Yeah.  You bet.
                    Rojas     [inaudible]
                    Dilley    Alright.
14:46:52  00:08:13  Rojas     Is that the only form of documentation he had in his possession?
14:46:52  00:08:13  Dilley    No, we're gonna find out.  He said that he doesn't want to give us any information.
14:46:59  00:08:20  Mocek     I don't consent to any search.
14:47:04  00:08:25  Dilley    [inaudible] have a seat.
14:47:07  00:08:28  Dilley    You wanna-- you wanna identify who you are, sir?
:color="blue"]14:46:59  00:08:20  Mocek     I'd like to remain silent.  I want to speak to an attorney.[/color]
                    Dilley    You don't want to identify yourself?  You can say yes or no on that.  Okay.  I assume your silence
                              says no.  You're gonna be booked under John Doe.  You will remain in jail until the FBI is able to
                              identify who you are.
14:47:31  00:08:52  Mocek     Does the law require me to provide my--
14:47:33  00:08:54  Dilley    Sir please don't talk.  You asked-- You said you don't want to talk, and you leave it at that.  We're
                              not going to answer any questions.  We're not going to ask you any questions.  Please do not talk any
                              further.  We've given you a chance to talk.
My voice is not heard on the remainder of that recording. At some point, they turned off the voice recorder after saying something about not needing it. It took Officer Dilley about 90 minutes to do his post-arrest paperwork. Officer Wiggins went to talk with Southwest Airlines to find out if I had checked bags. I had not. After returning, he spent the rest of the time watching a football game on the officer computer.

Did police try to get you to talk?
That depends on what you mean by that. There were no rubber hoses involved.

What was your experience in jail like?
Some other inmates taught me to play a game of dominoes. They were surprised that unlike most inmates, I was not in there for DUI or drug prohibition violations. Most meals included some strange, foamy, balogna-like substance. I do not memorize phone numbers any more, instead relying on my mobile phone's in-built directory, so reaching people on the outside was difficult. In the in-jail, remote-video, courtroom while awaiting my arraignment, public defenders found a press release from Cannabis Defense Coalition indicating that a defense fund had been created and that my friends and colleagues were working to get me released, and that they had discovered my earlier contact with a TSA ABQ airport representative, who stated that filming of the sort I did in the airport was not prohibited. That, at about 9am the day after my arrest, was the first communication I received from anyone besides bail bonding agents who were not willing to work with an out-of-town inmate. It brought tears to my eyes then and does so again as I type this. Shortly after that, I was arraigned, then taken back to the cell block, where I napped with the knowledge that there was nothing more I could do, and that other people were doing everything they could do to get me out.

Was it scary
No. Just degrading.

did they put you in a cell with people arrested for violent crimes who looked and behaved in an intimidating manner?
I don't know what most people there had been arrested for, but it seemed from speaking with several of them that most people were there for DUI or drug-prohibition-related crimes. One was there for riding his daughter's motor scooter on the road outside his house, and was concerned about missing his nursing school class. I'm not easily intimidated by appearances. No one acted intimidating toward me. All inmates with whom I came into contact were either generally friendly or quiet. The only intimidating moment was when I and a dozen other people were handcuffed to a bench in the back of a van en route to the county jail from the city jail, and I ignored several inmates told me to bang on the window and tell the police officer driving the van to turn up the heat. I didn't want to talk to anyone, and I wanted to watch the road to try to figure out where I was being taken.

During my experience at county jail and between the city jail and county jail, it was difficult to impossible to get information about what was happening and why. There were no clocks visible, and the jailers were not at all helpful.

if the price of civil disobedience or standing up for your rights is a night sharing a cell with suspected murderers, robbers, gang bangers, rapists etc, in addition to missing your flight and the other logistical hassles, then I'm obeying everyone at the airport LOL.
Additionally, I owe thousands of dollars (no final bill yet, but I estimate it will be another $10,000 more than the retainer I paid), and my partner and family were worried for 14 months about the possibility of me going to jail. My partner and I travelled to and from Albuquerque twice via train (there's an outstanding request here for me to report on the train ride; very briefly, I like it - there are A/C outlets at each seat and I was able to tether my laptop to my mobile phone for Internet access; I'm writing this from the train somewhere in Oregon), stayed in hotel rooms for two weeks, and my parents rode the train and drove from/to Kansas City twice.

Presumably, the price of asserting our rights will decrease as others assert their rights. I would be honored if other people were inspired or emboldened by my actions. I go about my business in a lawful manner without surrendering my rights unless there is good reason to do so. It's arguable whether avoiding all the hardship described above is good reason to surrender one's rights, but when I was being walked from the checkpoint to the airport holding cell, I fully expected to be released after some paperwork in time to catch my flight home.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 4:07 pm

FOX Business "Freedom Watch" interview January 28, 2011

Originally Posted by bdschobel
I just finished watching Phil's segment on Fox's Freedom Watch. [...] Phil looked great.
Thanks. I was sitting in an empty room at a studio in San Francisco, looking at a robotic camera, with bright lights shining in my eyes, listening by earphone to the host and producers on the East Coast. It was a very unfamiliar situation, but I'm glad we postponed from earlier plans to have me call in and do the interview telephonically.

It was shorter than I expected. I'm disappointed that I didn't get to 1) suggest viewers go to papersplease.org for details, 2) solicit donations to my defense fund, 3) thank those who showed up in court to lend moral support and bear witness, 4) thank my friend Jesse, who made first contact with our colleagues at CDC upon my arrest and was dropped off at the edge of airport property, then had a very rough night, 5) commend my attorneys, Molly Schmidt-Nowara and Nancy Hollander, and 6) mention what I'd like to see out of TSA (I like this list a lot: http://papersplease.org/wp/2010/11/1...one-about-tsa/).
Old Jan 29, 2011, 4:55 pm

New Mexico v. Phillip Mocek: lawyers, video tape, and I, were all kind of important

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
What's with the nastiness towards lawyers? Let it be remembered that it was two lawyers who won this case for Phil.
They played a large part. I was very happy with them.

I was somewhat involved as well, taking my attorney a bit by surprise early on. I'm no legal expert, but I know the evidence extremely well, and became familiar with transcripts of witness interviews (which I'd happily publish someday, along with audio, but only after I get some legal advice on whether that's advisable), so if nothing else, I was a very good index of material that they just weren't likely to learn as well as I did (and Molly may have done so by the time we were finished). I put an enormous amount of effort into transcribing all the audio. It was very useful to me, and all of us used my transcripts for quite some time before we had any of it transcribed by a court reporter (which was terrible before we sent it back with notice of such, and still far less accurate than mine, though not in ways that were of significant concern). The subtitles are helpful with hearing and comprehending what is said in my video, and I did all that myself. And apparently it's not just a given that the client go with his attorney(s) at lunch to talk about the trial. I don't know what else someone who's on trial would want to do. I was welcomed openly to go with them instead of with my family, and am glad that I did (helped a bit, didn't get in the way, was extremely fascinated), but I don't think it was expected until I asked.

Having a videorecording of what happened was also very significant. I would almost certainly have been convicted were it not for my video. Juries tend to give police the benefit of the doubt. Police don't always have an accurate memory of what happened, and I have a theory that when you annoy them or in any way question their authority, their memory gets worse. I suspect that if they arrest you first, then figure out what to charge you with afterward, their memories are pretty rotten.

I've nothing but good things to say about Molly and Nancy. However, I think videotape and no lawyers might have been better than lawyers and no videotape. I'm fortunate to have had both. That absolutely unbiased third party is hard to beat when there's a conflict between two people who were there. I wish I could wear one any time there's someone around who has the ability and authority to hold me at gunpoint and/or to lock me in a cage, based solely on his word.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by ehasbrouck
Proceedings of this sort at this level in New Mexico are not recorded by the court. There was no official audio recording and no court stenographer. There is no transcript of the trial
How can anybody ever appeal a verdict if there's no recording or transcript? Are you sure that's correct?

Originally Posted by pmocek
The jury found that I did not refuse any lawful order from the police.
The question is what was the prosection's theory about what the "lawful order" was supposed to be. I think that varied from time to time, but it was clear that by the end of the trial, the "lawful order" was the order to leave the airport. Whether it was lawful or not was immaterial (the issue is what justification an LEO must have to revoke somebody's permission to be there) because it appears that the jury accepted the defense theory that you couldn't have "refused" the order since you weren't given any time to do so.

Mr. Breedon, the TSA security guard who began to perform the alternative identification process after being informed by Mr. Martinez (TSA document checker) that I did not have identity documents, testified that he was concerned about me filming the form he was completing.
He also testifed (just as bogusly) that he was concerned that some of the x-ray monitors might have been visible.

It's doubtful. Mr. Breedon also testified that TSA procedure is to have the passenger sign that form after it is completed by TSA staff.
That's not the only example of similar "SSI". The order in which body parts are patted down is also SSI, but anybody being patted down (or watching a pat-down) can see it. I do believe that the form is SSI, but I certainly see no justification for it being so.

It's also interesting that my attorneys downloaded a copy of the form from the TSA Web site and showed it to Mr. Breedon in court. He said that his form had a different typeface and a few more check-boxes at the end.
As I said in a previous post, I have independent evidence suggesting that that's correct. But wasn't the form downloaded from the Identity Project's site, not a TSA site?

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jan 30, 2011 at 12:16 am Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Jan 29, 2011, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by RichardKenner
How can anybody ever appeal a verdict if there's no recording or transcript? Are you sure that's correct?
It's not as exceptional as you might think. In some jurisdictions courts of the first instance aren't courts of record. If you lose at trial at that level and appeal, you get an automatic de novo trial in a court of record.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 5:34 pm

This is a tough question to answer when you are not in the same courtroom and especially when you see counsel who appear to be doing a good job.
I know some people who were there. If the opportunity arises, I'll ask about Polonius' question and assuming it's not taboo to discuss trial strategy after the trial is over, report back.

On the converse, for the life of me, I could not understand the direct examination of Officer Dilley. It was less than amateurish.
Officer Dilley was great during his examination, though. I suspect that without video evidence contrary to his testimony, the jury would have believed him.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 5:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by moondog
Hopefully, some of you captured screen shots (for Phil's sake). I really wish I could read the comments (as previously mentioned, the PRC government thinks it's best if I don't have access to that site).
The question is how many of us have printed out the screenshot and sent it, with a letter of complaint, to the TSA Inspector General?
Old Jan 29, 2011, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
...I would almost certainly have been convicted were it not for my video....
I have no doubt at all that you would have been convicted without the video proving your innocence. When it's your word against the police officer's word, you are at a definite disadvantage.
Officer Dilley was great during his examination, though. I suspect that without video evidence contrary to his testimony, the jury would have believed him.
I agree.

Bruce
Old Jan 29, 2011, 5:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bdschobel
I have no doubt at all that you would have been convicted without the video proving your innocence. When it's your word against the police officer's word, you are at a definite disadvantage.I agree.
Why do you think police in Illinois are trying to put people in jail for 15 years for recording them? It's a complete misuse of the wiretap law, and won't survive appellate review, but they're doing it on the "won't beat the ride" theory.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 6:25 pm

I know some people who were there. If the opportunity arises, I'll ask about Polonius' question and assuming it's not taboo to discuss trial strategy after the trial is over, report back.
Having listened to the whole trial, I think I can guess at the answer. Fundamentally, juries don't like objections. Like everybody else, they want to know as much as they can about a decision they're being asked to make. Even though they're advised otherwise, when the defense objects to a question, the jury can't help but wonder "what are they trying to hide?". If the defense were to object to "everything out of the prosection's mouth", it would sound like there was a lot to hide and that's exact opposite thing they need to convey on a case like this.

Besides, I don't see that they would have succeeded in most objections or even that what was said was harmful. To me, more of Breedon's testimony was exculpatory than harmful. It's far better to attack testimony in cross than to try to supress it in direct. In this particular case, he was asked why he did certain things. That's a legitimate question. His answer was that he believed that photography was prohibited. That's why the cross was aimed at bringing in the evidence that the TSA's own statements were that photography was allowed. So the argument they're making was "Breedon called the police for an incorrect reason".

If they suppressed him giving the reason, they couldn't make that argument. More fundamentally, the defense chose not to present a case. That means they're presenting their case via cross of the prosecution witnesses. But you can only ask on cross about things that were mentioned on direct. If everything got suppressed via objections, how would this get in?

I disagree that the defense erred here in not objecting: I think they did exactly the right thing.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 6:58 pm

But wasn't the form downloaded from the Identity Project's site, not a TSA site?
My mistake. I don't remember which site they got it from. I changed what I wrote above from "TSA Web site" to "the Web"
Old Jan 29, 2011, 9:39 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
In California "Agreed Statements of Appeals" or "Settled Statements of Appeals" are often used instead of transcripts when appealing misdemeanor convictions.
The Judicial Council of California - Designating the Record
What is an "agreed statement"?
It is a summary of the trial court proceedings that all the parties agreed to. It can be used for both the record of documents and the record of oral proceedings in the trial court.

What is a "statement on appeal" or "settled statement"?
It is a summary of the trial court proceedings that is approved by the trial court. You can use a statement on appeal (also called "settled statement") if you cannot get an agreed statement (because the other party will not agree to your statement).
Old Jan 30, 2011, 5:46 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA884
In California "Agreed Statements of Appeals" or "Settled Statements of Appeals" are often used instead of transcripts when appealing misdemeanor convictions.
Wow; that's really silly.

Here in Cook County they have microphones in the courtrooms you go to if you just have a speeding ticket. The City of Chicago uses microphones in the parking ticket hearing rooms-- parking tickets! How states continue to permit criminal trials without any record in this day and age is incredible-- it isn't like the olden days where you had to hire a stenographer.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 6:14 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Additionally, I owe thousands of dollars (no final bill yet, but I estimate it will be another $10,000 more than the retainer I paid), and my partner and family were worried for 14 months about the possibility of me going to jail. My partner and I travelled to and from Albuquerque twice via train (there's an outstanding request here for me to report on the train ride; very briefly, I like it - there are A/C outlets at each seat and I was able to tether my laptop to my mobile phone for Internet access; I'm writing this from the train somewhere in Oregon), stayed in hotel rooms for two weeks, and my parents rode the train and drove from/to Kansas City twice.

Presumably, the price of asserting our rights will decrease as others assert their rights. I would be honored if other people were inspired or emboldened by my actions. I go about my business in a lawful manner without surrendering my rights unless there is good reason to do so. It's arguable whether avoiding all the hardship described above is good reason to surrender one's rights, but when I was being walked from the checkpoint to the airport holding cell, I fully expected to be released after some paperwork in time to catch my flight home.
There's a tremendous imbalance of power between the state and the individual. Whether or not your case proves to be a tipping point or even significant in the long run, I admire your courage and your actions in asserting your rights. ^

For me, reading the recent outrageous post on the TSA blog about which many have also written elsewhere finally motivated me to send along a modest donation to your defense fund.

It's definitely not in honor of the TSA, but in recognition that you successfully challenged this powerful bureaucracy, ^ their current "we-weren't-involved" denials in that disgraceful blog post notwithstanding.

I encourage other FTers who feel the same way, but like me haven't made a donation up to now, to take a moment to click on the link in your signature and donate to your defense fund. @:-)
Old Jan 30, 2011, 6:22 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My mistake. I don't remember which site they got it from. I changed what I wrote above from "TSA Web site" to "the Web"
Phil,

Have you come out with any allegation that the police deleted the video? That seems to be the case from reading between the lines . . . am I mistaken?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.