Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2011, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by zlc
I am wondering the same question, why can't the defense wait until the witnesses testified? Will that get the lawyers into trouble? What if Phil "unable" to recover the video until the last minute? Will the judge disallow it?
The tricky area here is "chain of custody". In most cases, for evidence to be admissible, you need to be able to show that it really was the piece of evidence. If you recover a bullet from somebody's yard, you have to be able to prove that this is the bullet that you bring into court. You do this by having the person who found it testify what they did with it and showing an unbroken chain leading to it being brought into court.

Here, we have a video that "suddenly" showed up a year after the event. That would be plenty long enough for somebody to do extensive CGI work and completely fabricate the video. Because the only person who "found" the video was the defendant, there'd be little way to refute that claim. It sounds like there was a quid pro quo here: the prosection agreed not to challenge the authenticity of the video and the defense agreed not to get into the issue of it being originally deleted.

Originally Posted by peachfront
Really? Phil was wrongfully arrested and put in a jail. It seems to me that in many cases such an assault would be worth a lot of money. But it must go state by state and case by case.
The problem is that merely being acquitted at the end doesn't come close to a "wrongful arrest". The classic wrongful arrest has occured in NYC in years back. It's legal for a woman to be topless in NY state, but many police don't know that. Several women were arrested for it and sued the city for wrongful arrest and settled for six-figure awards. But in that case, there was no question of exactly what they did and the legal situation.

Here, there were so many people involved that getting a solid understanding at the scene of exactly what had happened and what, if any, laws were broken, was hard. Yes, the police shouldn't have arrested him, but the standard for "wrongful arrest" is higher than that.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jan 31, 2011 at 1:18 am Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Jan 30, 2011, 9:34 pm

New Mexico v. Phillip Mocek: defense somewhat unfortunately focused on defending

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
It's a real shame that your video could not have been held back from the prosecution allowing their witnesses to perjure themselves and then having the recording entered as evidence.
Imagine being a defense attorney trying to convince your client that having the prosecution drop the case prior to trial would be just dandy when your client really wants to go to trial and get some vindication. Let's say he had a video that contradicts what's in the criminal complaint -- signed under penalty of perjury -- as well as what was said in non-sworn witness interviews, and would presumably be said repeatedly on the witness stand. "If you go to trial, your odds of conviction will rise infinitely, and our focus is on you avoiding conviction," you might say. You'd probably wonder how the prosecution could possibly change their story to stitch together their witnesses' statements, the charges, and what is shown on video, and think they'll likely drop the case. Hopefully, your client would consider the potential effect of his going to trial on people he cares about and agree to provide the video to the prosecution.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Ari
...how come you didn't bring up anywhere that the video was deleted while the camera was in police custody? It was clearly tampered with . . . this seems like very serious conduct and I'm surprised it hasn't been brought to light.
I suspected as much, but nobody would confirm what happened during the trial. This does seem like truly egregious conduct by the police department, even if it's impossible to learn which individuals are responsible. I was paying close attention when both sides stipulated as to the validity of the evidence to be presented, so the prosecutor didn't dispute that the tape is the one that Phil took at the airport. If he had not stipulated that, then we would have had some interesting testimony regarding how Phil came to have it.

Bruce

Originally Posted by zlc
I am wondering the same question, why can't the defense wait until the witnesses testified? Will that get the lawyers into trouble? What if Phil "unable" to recover the video until the last minute? Will the judge disallow it?
This is a bit of a simplification, but rules of "discovery" generally require evidence to be shared by both sides before the trial, to avoid surprises. There is an exception for rebuttal evidence, but the need to present it could not have been known in advance. The existence of the videotape is what caused the postponement in December 2010; the prosecutor needed time to study it.

Bruce

Originally Posted by RichardKenner
...It sounds like there was a quid pro quo here: the prosection agreed not to challenge the authenticity of the video and the defense agreed not to get into the issue of it being originally deleted.
I share your theory.

Bruce

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jan 31, 2011 at 1:20 am Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Jan 30, 2011, 11:56 pm

link: secret TSA passenger ID form on TSA Web site

Originally Posted by pmocek
But wasn't the form downloaded from the Identity Project's site, not a TSA site?
My mistake. I don't remember which site they got it from. I changed what I wrote above from "TSA Web site" to "the Web"
It's on TSA's Web site: http://www.tsa.gov/assets/pdf/TSA_TIVF_Form_2301.pdf [EDIT: That's a mistake. We showed him the form from http://papersplease.org/wp/wp-conten...checkpoint.pdf.]

Last edited by pmocek; Jan 31, 2011 at 9:55 am Reason: correct link to TSA form
Old Jan 31, 2011, 1:07 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Whoever deleted it probably did. It must have been quite a surprise to the prosecutor to find that we had video evidence that contradicted almost everything his witnesses planned to testify to.
I'm sure it was quite a surprise . . .

There wasn't any need to do so in defense of the criminal charges, and we agreed not to do so. During preliminary motions (beginning at 17:04 in the audio file), both sides agreed that there was to be no discussion of any tampering with the video the state planned to enter as evidence. This was suggested by the prosecution.
I heard that part (that is the only part of the trial I listened to since I can pretty much picture how the rest of the trial went).

We were concerned that they might claim that the video had been tampered with, and they were presumably concerned that we'd let the jury know that it seemed that someone with access to the "safe storage" area at the airport police station tried to destroy evidence.
I gathered that previously from listening to that audio. My question is if it came up in December when the prosecution asked for more time-- was the fact that the video had been deleted brought to attention of the the court or DA at that time?

Bottom line: Someone tried to destroy the recording, but I was able to recover it in its entirety, and it was the best evidence available of what happened that day.
And that "someone" essentially will do it again if s/he gets the chance.

Imagine being a defense attorney trying to convince your client that having the prosecution drop the case prior to trial would be just dandy when your client really wants to go to trial and get some vindication. Let's say he had a video that contradicts what's in the criminal complaint -- signed under penalty of perjury -- as well as what was said in non-sworn witness interviews, and would presumably be said repeatedly on the witness stand. "If you go to trial, your odds of conviction will rise infinitely, and our focus is on you avoiding conviction," you might say. You'd probably wonder how the prosecution could possibly change their story to stitch together their witnesses' statements, the charges, and what is shown on video, and think they'll likely drop the case. Hopefully, your client would consider the potential effect of his going to trial on people he cares about and agree to provide the video to the prosecution.
In other words, it never really occourred to anyone that they'd actually go forward with the case upon finding out the video was recovered?
Old Jan 31, 2011, 1:19 am

New Mexico v. Phillip Mocek: Oh, *you* want to introduce the video? Well, okay.

Originally Posted by Ari
My question is if it came up in December when the prosecution asked for more time-- was the fact that the video had been deleted brought to attention of the the court or DA at that time?
I assume that it was brought to his attention when he read the police file, which includes:

Code:
Orig offense date: 2009-11-15
Supp date: 2009-11-16

ALBUQUERQUE AVIATION POLICE DEPARTMENT

On 11/16/09 at approximately 1230 hrs. I was contacted at the police station
by Mr. Phillip Mocek who advised me that he had been arrested on Sunday
evening on several different charges and his belongings were left here in
the office. I located the three items in Sgt. Rojas office which were a black
in color backpack, a black in color s computer type bag and a rolled up
banner. I turned over the items to Mr. Mocek and he did state that
everything s was in order and he left the area. Mr. Mocek returned to
the police station a few minutes later and stated in front of Deputy Chief
R. Szmania who was also present that his digital camera had been messed with
and all the photos were erased but the memory card was still in the camera.
I advised Mr. Mocek that I had no knowledge of the incident other then
returning his items to him. Mr. Mocek advised me that he would be filing
a complaint against the officers that had arrested him and then he left the
area.

Reporting officer: Vigil, Raymond F
    Assisting officer: (blank)
    Approving officer: Szmania, Robert J
Originally Posted by Ari
it never really occourred to anyone that they'd actually go forward with the case upon finding out the video was recovered?
When we voluntarily notified them of the existence of the video and provided a copy, we knew they would be likely to press on, but would be much less likely to do so than before they saw what really happened.

Originally Posted by bdschobel
It sounds like there was a quid pro quo here: the prosection agreed not to challenge the authenticity of the video and the defense agreed not to get into the issue of it being originally deleted.
I share your theory.
There were no related back-room deals. The agreement made was made in open court.

The prosecution deciding to introduce the video was a welcome surprise. It seemed likely that we'd use it as rebuttal evidence but because the state was going to introduce it, we got to discuss it in opening arguments.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jan 31, 2011 at 1:33 am Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Jan 31, 2011, 6:00 am
Suspended

This is the form that Breedon was claiming is SSI? Or is it just similar to said form?
Old Jan 31, 2011, 6:07 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, FB Plat, AS Gold, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Plat, BA wannabe
Originally Posted by zlc
A quick question for the computer geeks out there, and you know who we are

Is it possible to determine the time/date when a "file delete" operation occurs on a device? Does it depend on the device?

If it ever became an issue, it would seem it would be critical to determine when the event occured in the chain of custody. This might be repeated in future events, so there's some relevence to this question.

Last edited by fishferbrains; Jan 31, 2011 at 6:16 am
Old Jan 31, 2011, 6:10 am

I am wondering if there will be an Internal Affairs investigation into the tampering of Phil's video. The possibility of tampering could color any similar court cases that hinge on video evidence, and cause other cases to be retried. The Prosecutor is probably furious about this issue. If this turns out to be a systemic problem in the Police Department or just the airport unit, I'm sure there will be a massive shake up.

Last edited by IslandBased; Jan 31, 2011 at 6:17 am
Old Jan 31, 2011, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by doober
This is the form that Breedon was claiming is SSI? Or is it just similar to said form?
I don't think this is the form as it appears to be the one that is sent in for redress when your name is on the watch list. I don't believe it is the one used at a checkpoint for verification of identity.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 8:08 am

That's the form you are asked to submit with a TRIPS "redress" request. The form used for "ID verification" at the checkpoint is different and simpler. The version Breedon was questioned about at trial was the one from:

http://papersplease.org/wp/wp-conten...checkpoint.pdf

He said it didn't exactly match the *current* form (although in fact that version originally came from the TSA in 2008).

If anyone has the current form (for example, if you were given it to sign, but didn't sign it on the spot and and took it to consult your lawyer before signing under penalty of perjury), please share.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 8:23 am

Programs: DL, WN, US, Avis, AA
a question for the lawyers

I have a question for the lawyers on this board.

Assume for the sake of argument that Mr. Mocek plans repeated trips to ABQ and that he has concerns about retaliatory action by Mr. Breedon or Officer Dilley. What would be the likelihood of a successful petition for a restraining order requiring those individuals to maintain a distance of, say 25 feet, from Mr. Mocek and to refrain from any participation in his future screening? Will a court issue a restraining order against an individual that would restrict the exercise of his occupational duties?
Old Jan 31, 2011, 9:38 am

Nope: that's an unrelated form, used for applying for a Redress.

There were no related back-room deals. The agreement made was made in open court.
For the record, I didn't mean to imply that there was: I was referring to the statements in open court.

The prosecution deciding to introduce the video was a welcome surprise. It seemed likely that we'd use it as rebuttal evidence but because the state was going to introduce it, we got to discuss it in opening arguments.
I've heard it said that if you have something that you will go against you, it's best for you to introduce it. Perhaps that's why they did it.

Originally Posted by T-the-B
Assume for the sake of argument that Mr. Mocek plans repeated trips to ABQ and that he has concerns about retaliatory action by Mr. Breedon or Officer Dilley. What would be the likelihood of a successful petition for a restraining order requiring those individuals to maintain a distance of, say 25 feet, from Mr. Mocek and to refrain from any participation in his future screening? Will a court issue a restraining order against an individual that would restrict the exercise of his occupational duties?
IANAL, but I'm pretty sure that the chances of that are precisely zero. The government would easily argue that these people were misinformed as to the law and rules, are now properly informed, and there's absolutely no reason to think that doing the same thing would produce the same result.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Feb 3, 2011 at 10:19 am Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Jan 31, 2011, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by ehasbrouck
That's the form you are asked to submit with a TRIPS "redress" request. The form used for "ID verification" at the checkpoint is different and simpler. The version Breedon was questioned about at trial was the one from:

http://papersplease.org/wp/wp-conten...checkpoint.pdf
Gah! Richard was correct. Thanks for correcting me, Edward.

Originally Posted by doober
This [which Phil referenced] is the form that Breedon was claiming is SSI? Or is it just similar to said form?
The one I referenced is neither.

[TSA TSO Jonathon Breedon] said it didn't exactly match the *current* form (although in fact that version originally came from the TSA in 2008).
Right. He testified that his form (the one he was concerned about me photographing) uses a different typeface and has some additional check boxes than the one we showed him in court.

If anyone has the current form (for example, if you were given it to sign, but didn't sign it on the spot and and took it to consult your lawyer before signing under penalty of perjury), please share.
I second that, though I recommend not sharing it through me.

The government would easily argue that these people were misinformed as to the law and rules, are now properly informed, and there's absolutely no reason to think that doing the same thing would produce the same result.
I wish someone would help us test whether or not that's the case by traversing the security checkpoint at ABQ with a video camera rolling. I don't know what the odds of coming across Mr. Breedon or Officer Dilley while doing so are, but it would be interesting to discover how others there react, as well.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Feb 3, 2011 at 10:20 am Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Jan 31, 2011, 10:49 am

Right. He testified that his form (the one he was concerned about me photographing) uses a different typeface and has some additional check boxes than the one we showed him in court.
Were they really trying to say that since the typeface was different it made the form SSI? How would the typeface impact someone being able to attack an airplane or not?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.