Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Q4 2021 Chase Freedom Cards--5% bonus: Walmart & Paypal Purchases

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 15, 2021, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: txpenny
Here is the paypal list of vendors that should trigger the 5% category bonus for "paypal purchases". I've copied it over from the AMEX thread "https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...june-30-a.html". Please feel free update with your experiences.

Merchant Description
While a PayPal charge is pending, "PayPal" may not appear in the merchant description but will once the charge posts (e.g., a pending charge listed as "BESTBUY.COM" will become "PAYPAL BESTBUY.COM"). - need to see if this works the same on Chase as it does AMEX.

Google Pay
PayPal can be added to Google Pay via payments.google.com > Payment Methods > Add a payment method (note that not all Google Pay is created equal; e.g. this doesn't seem to work for Fi payments - at least on AMEX)

Known Working Examples
List of some vendors that accept PayPal, from the official PayPal website: https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mp...l-credit-promo

Travel
  • Airfare purchased from some airline websites. (does not work with DL, UA, WN as they do not accept AMEX via PayPal) (need to check how airfare works with Chase).
  • Flightradar 24
  • Uber Cash reloads
  • Lyft cash reload
  • US passport renewal application fee may accept PayPal
Donations and content creator payment platforms
  • Nonprofits: Doctors Without Borders, Feeding America, Pro Publica, WBEZ, KUOW
  • Bandcamp
  • Patreon
Shopping
  • Ace Hardware (online only?)
  • AARP Gift Cards (note discounted every Monday through rewards portal) as well as your membership dues
  • Banza Chickpea Pasta (eatbanza.com)
  • Bed Bath & Beyond (online orders)
  • Best Buy
  • Chewy
  • CVS Drugstore/Pharmacy (using “show to pay” QR code generated in Pay Pal app) Pay Pal must be “mapped” to qualifying Amex card with said benefit
  • eBay, including seller charges
  • Eddie Bauer (online only?)
  • Ex Officio
  • Express Scripts prescription fulfillment
  • Gap Factory Web
  • store.google.com
  • Home Depot (definitely online, possibly also in-store)
  • Hudson Valley Foie Gras
  • Keurig.com - it can be a set it and forget it if you use Green Mountain's subscription service
  • Macy's (online only?)
  • Nuts.com
  • PayPal eGift cards (merchant gift cards)
  • Poshmark
  • Starbucks card reloads
  • T2 Tea (online)
  • Target (not on iOS app)
  • USPS.com (stamps, shipping supplies, cards and envelopes, etc.)
  • Walmart
Streaming/Digital subscriptions
  • AT&T TV Now
  • CBS All Access
  • Disney+
  • Hulu
  • Netflix
  • NY Times
  • Spotify
Phone / Videoconference Services
  • VOIP.MS
  • Airalo.com
  • Zoom
Gas Stations
  • Shell (via Shell app) - however, note some FT'ers have reported needing to call in and manually credit
  • BP (via BPme app)
Gaming Digital Distribution Platforms
  • Steam (wallet reloads work)
  • PlayStation Network (wallet reloads work)
  • Battle.net (wallet reloads work)
Dining
  • Grubhub / Seamless / UberEats
Home utilities
  • Puget Sound Energy (PSE)
  • Possibly others that use "Paymentus" as a processor
Print Wikipost

Q4 2021 Chase Freedom Cards--5% bonus: Walmart & Paypal Purchases

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2021, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Mine was "tax due" so I believe it was annual.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 5:10 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by lkar
Per quarter. But I believe all of them do not open up estimated tax payments for the quarter until about 30-45 days before the due date. So for purposes of the freedom 5x you probably have to wait until December to make estimated tax payments.
Last year I made $1471.17 tax payments ($1500 charge after fees) on 10/2 and 10/5 last year to max out the PayPal categories.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 2:13 am

Per quarter. But I believe all of them do not open up estimated tax payments for the quarter until about 30-45 days before the due date. So for purposes of the freedom 5x you probably have to wait until December to make estimated tax payments.
Ahhh,,, I think we are talking about two different definitions of "Quarter".

I believe you're referencing IRS required 1040 ES quarterly payments to avoid penalty, and I'm thinking "Calendar Year Quarter 1040ES payments per processor".

I've made 2 1040ES payments this "Calendar Quarter" via PayUSA tax/Paypal/Discover, (and they both tracked as payments received by IRS and 5x earned Discover).

I'll attempt to make a $1472.00 1040ES payment early October on one of my 3 Freedom 5x cards and report back here if the transaction is both received by IRS, and nets 7,500 UR from Chase.

For me this is strictly a straight MS* play, (and nothing to do with IRS requirements).

Cheers
Old Sep 20, 2021, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by Biscoff27
Last year I made $1471.17 tax payments ($1500 charge after fees) on 10/2 and 10/5 last year to max out the PayPal categories.
Originally Posted by Chris58
Ahhh,,, I think we are talking about two different definitions of "Quarter".

I believe you're referencing IRS required 1040 ES quarterly payments to avoid penalty, and I'm thinking "Calendar Year Quarter 1040ES payments per processor".

I've made 2 1040ES payments this "Calendar Quarter" via PayUSA tax/Paypal/Discover, (and they both tracked as payments received by IRS and 5x earned Discover).

I'll attempt to make a $1472.00 1040ES payment early October on one of my 3 Freedom 5x cards and report back here if the transaction is both received by IRS, and nets 7,500 UR from Chase.

For me this is strictly a straight MS* play, (and nothing to do with IRS requirements).

Cheers
So, here's the issue and hopefully I can explain it ok. It is a little bit complicated. In the last year or so payusatax has not allowed some people to make estimated taxes until 30-45 days before the estimated taxes due date. So, for the last two of the year, September 15 and January 15. You go through the entire process and at the end it tells you that you cannot make the payment because it is too early.

There was a discussion of this on one of the blogs that I like to follow. Some speculate that it may have to do with whether you already have made two payments with payusatax for the prior quarter. I make multiple payments every quarter so I cannot be a good source of data on this. But essentially the thinking goes like this:

October 2 someone goes to make a $1500 1040ES payment. If the person did not make two payments for the previous tax quarter using payusatax, then for a certain period of time after September 15 payusatax will recognize it as a late Q3 payment and accept the payment. However, if the person did make two payment using payusatax in the prior tax quarter then the system tells you that you're too early for Q4, so you may have to wait until December 1 or 15.

Unfortunately, there seem to be conflicting data and part of the problem is that those reporting don't really understand the issue well enough to reliably report. I'm going to try on October 2. So I will be able to be an example of someone who used payusatax for two payment in the prior quarter and we'll see if it takes my payments. Hopefully if others are successful in early October they can also say whether or not they had made two estimated payments using payusatax in Q3.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Does anyone know if there is a lag time between canceling your paypal key, and getting a new one?

Help, in on the paypal site shows how to delete a key, and suggests that you may follow that action with getting a new key. When I try to get a new key through the new key link, clicking "let's go" follows with a "coming soon".

I deleted my key yesterday, so I guess maybe the old key needed to update overnight. But this morning, same thing. Can't get a new key.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 11:13 am

Programs: Delta, IHG
Does anyone know if third party sellers on Walmart.com trigger the 5% or is it only items shipped and sold by Walmart?
Old Sep 23, 2021, 11:27 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
These are the same categories as 4th quarter 2020, and some questions about "what works" may be answered in last year's thread:

Freedom/Freedom Flex Q4 2020 bonus categories: PayPal & Walmart
sdsearch likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 2:53 pm

Is there a way to link your Paypal Key to make it usable for contactless payments? I tried linking it to Apple Pay but it didn't work
or does Paypal allow contactless payments itself and if so, what stores accept it?
Old Sep 30, 2021, 4:15 pm

Damn, I don't have PayPay key. I tried to sign up but it would appear that it is targeted to can get it.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by robchow
Damn, I don't have PayPay key. I tried to sign up but it would appear that it is targeted to can get it.
Yep when will it available to the masses ?
Old Oct 1, 2021, 11:18 am

Not sure about this. My paypal key payment of property tax was declined for all three freedom cards. one post from reddit back to April, paypal has blocked the payment for tax, including income tax. Not sure whether this is true, I was able to use the freedom card to pay tax last year while still hope to use it for this year's tax.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by txpenny
Does anyone know if there is a lag time between canceling your paypal key, and getting a new one?

Help, in on the paypal site shows how to delete a key, and suggests that you may follow that action with getting a new key. When I try to get a new key through the new key link, clicking "let's go" follows with a "coming soon".

I deleted my key yesterday, so I guess maybe the old key needed to update overnight. But this morning, same thing. Can't get a new key.
So I deleted my old key on 9/20/21 and still have not received the re-invite despite paypal customer service telling me my account is approved for a paypal key. I just need to be patient according to the rep. She said it normally takes a few days. I'm now at 11.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 6:52 pm

This isn't listed in the Wiki: one can pay IRS via payUSAtax (https://payusatax.com/) using PayPal (https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/taxes).

I haven't read all the terms but did see this from payUSAtax.
"Your Convenience Fee will be based on the payment method you select and displayed on the next page. The fee amount will be a flat rate of $2.55 for debit or ATM/Debit transactions and 1.96% (minimum of $2.69) of the tax liability payment amount for PayPal, Android Pay, Samsung Pay or Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express personal and business cards."
Old Oct 2, 2021, 9:30 pm

Programs: DL DM
So, here's the issue and hopefully I can explain it ok. It is a little bit complicated. In the last year or so payusatax has not allowed some people to make estimated taxes until 30-45 days before the estimated taxes due date. So, for the last two of the year, September 15 and January 15. You go through the entire process and at the end it tells you that you cannot make the payment because it is too early.

There was a discussion of this on one of the blogs that I like to follow. Some speculate that it may have to do with whether you already have made two payments with payusatax for the prior quarter. I make multiple payments every quarter so I cannot be a good source of data on this. But essentially the thinking goes like this:

October 2 someone goes to make a $1500 1040ES payment. If the person did not make two payments for the previous tax quarter using payusatax, then for a certain period of time after September 15 payusatax will recognize it as a late Q3 payment and accept the payment. However, if the person did make two payment using payusatax in the prior tax quarter then the system tells you that you're too early for Q4, so you may have to wait until December 1 or 15.

Unfortunately, there seem to be conflicting data and part of the problem is that those reporting don't really understand the issue well enough to reliably report. I'm going to try on October 2. So I will be able to be an example of someone who used payusatax for two payment in the prior quarter and we'll see if it takes my payments. Hopefully if others are successful in early October they can also say whether or not they had made two estimated payments using payusatax in Q3.
Adding my data point. Tried to make a Q4 payment today (10/2), was denied. Had previously made Q3 payments with them last month. So this supports everything you said above. Thanks for explaining!
lkar and Chris58 like this.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 11:04 am

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Other people probably knew this already, but I didn't--

You can use Paypal on Doordash and Grubhub. I use them a lot, so that should really help in getting me to the quarterly $1500 limit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.