Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Q4 2021 Chase Freedom Cards--5% bonus: Walmart & Paypal Purchases

Old Sep 15, 2021, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: txpenny
Here is the paypal list of vendors that should trigger the 5% category bonus for "paypal purchases". I've copied it over from the AMEX thread "https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...june-30-a.html". Please feel free update with your experiences.

Merchant Description
While a PayPal charge is pending, "PayPal" may not appear in the merchant description but will once the charge posts (e.g., a pending charge listed as "BESTBUY.COM" will become "PAYPAL BESTBUY.COM"). - need to see if this works the same on Chase as it does AMEX.

Google Pay
PayPal can be added to Google Pay via payments.google.com > Payment Methods > Add a payment method (note that not all Google Pay is created equal; e.g. this doesn't seem to work for Fi payments - at least on AMEX)

Known Working Examples
List of some vendors that accept PayPal, from the official PayPal website: https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mp...l-credit-promo

Travel
  • Airfare purchased from some airline websites. (does not work with DL, UA, WN as they do not accept AMEX via PayPal) (need to check how airfare works with Chase).
  • Flightradar 24
  • Uber Cash reloads
  • Lyft cash reload
  • US passport renewal application fee may accept PayPal
Donations and content creator payment platforms
  • Nonprofits: Doctors Without Borders, Feeding America, Pro Publica, WBEZ, KUOW
  • Bandcamp
  • Patreon
Shopping
  • Ace Hardware (online only?)
  • AARP Gift Cards (note discounted every Monday through rewards portal) as well as your membership dues
  • Banza Chickpea Pasta (eatbanza.com)
  • Bed Bath & Beyond (online orders)
  • Best Buy
  • Chewy
  • CVS Drugstore/Pharmacy (using show to pay QR code generated in Pay Pal app) Pay Pal must be mapped to qualifying Amex card with said benefit
  • eBay, including seller charges
  • Eddie Bauer (online only?)
  • Ex Officio
  • Express Scripts prescription fulfillment
  • Gap Factory Web
  • store.google.com
  • Home Depot (definitely online, possibly also in-store)
  • Hudson Valley Foie Gras
  • Keurig.com - it can be a set it and forget it if you use Green Mountain's subscription service
  • Macy's (online only?)
  • Nuts.com
  • PayPal eGift cards (merchant gift cards)
  • Poshmark
  • Starbucks card reloads
  • T2 Tea (online)
  • Target (not on iOS app)
  • USPS.com (stamps, shipping supplies, cards and envelopes, etc.)
  • Walmart
Streaming/Digital subscriptions
  • AT&T TV Now
  • CBS All Access
  • Disney+
  • Hulu
  • Netflix
  • NY Times
  • Spotify
Phone / Videoconference Services
  • VOIP.MS
  • Airalo.com
  • Skype
  • BlueJeans
  • Zoom
Gas Stations
  • Shell (via Shell app) - however, note some FT'ers have reported needing to call in and manually credit
  • BP (via BPme app)
Gaming Digital Distribution Platforms
  • Steam (wallet reloads work)
  • PlayStation Network (wallet reloads work)
  • Battle.net (wallet reloads work)
Dining
  • Grubhub / Seamless / UberEats
Home utilities
  • Puget Sound Energy (PSE)
  • Possibly others that use "Paymentus" as a processor
Print Wikipost

Q4 2021 Chase Freedom Cards--5% bonus: Walmart & Paypal Purchases

Old Sep 14, 2021, 9:43 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: TPA/DFW/K15
Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Posts: 1,643
Q4 2021 Chase Freedom Cards--5% bonus: Walmart & Paypal Purchases

Q4 2021 Chase Freedom / Flex 5% bonus: Walmart & Paypal Purchases

Apologies if this thread has already been started.

This seems like it might be tough to maximize the quarterly bonus. Has a wiki been set up somewhere that shows what online merchants accept paypal payments?

Last edited by txpenny; Sep 17, 2021 at 8:54 am Reason: Retracted the statement about difficulty in achieving the quarterly bonus.
txpenny is offline  
Old Sep 14, 2021, 10:34 am
  #2  
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami, Mpls & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Posts: 48,734
Paypal ran a promotion with American Express in the first half of 2021. The offer was structured differently, but you should be able to use the Wikipost as a starting point to see which merchants accept PayPal:

American Express Platinum: $30 PayPal Credit Per Month Until June 30
mia is offline  
Old Sep 14, 2021, 11:47 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SFO
Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriot LTG
Posts: 609
Originally Posted by txpenny
Q4 2021 Chase Freedom / Flex 5% bonus: Walmart & Paypal Purchases

Apologies if this thread has already been started.

This seems like it might be tough to maximize the quarterly bonus. Has a wiki been set up somewhere that shows what online merchants accept paypal payments?
Actually this is the easiest qtr to max out, hookup your paypal key (virtual debit card) to your chase freedom card and you can spend anywhere online or over the phone that takes master card with a few exceptions now like not being able to pay your taxes.

What is PayPal Key and where can I use it?
RedPanda5 is offline  
Old Sep 14, 2021, 3:41 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: PHX
Posts: 4,779
PayUSATax allows you to make estimated tax payments for a 2 percent fee using a paypal account and I believe that has qualified for 5x in the past. So, a fairly easy way to generate 5x points from your living room for about .40 cents per point assuming it still works. I believe you are limited only to two payments per processor and I don't think estimated taxes for Q4 can be paid online until later in the year so you may need to wait for December.
lkar is offline  
Old Sep 15, 2021, 7:25 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: TPA/DFW/K15
Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Posts: 1,643
Originally Posted by mia
Paypal ran a promotion with American Express in the first half of 2021. The offer was structured differently, but you should be able to use the Wikipost as a starting point to see which merchants accept PayPal:

American Express Platinum: $30 PayPal Credit Per Month Until June 30
Thanks, Mia. Any reason I shouldn't duplicate that list in the wiki for this thread?
txpenny is offline  
Old Sep 15, 2021, 7:30 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: TPA/DFW/K15
Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Posts: 1,643
Originally Posted by lkar
PayUSATax allows you to make estimated tax payments for a 2 percent fee using a paypal account and I believe that has qualified for 5x in the past. So, a fairly easy way to generate 5x points from your living room for about .40 cents per point assuming it still works. I believe you are limited only to two payments per processor and I don't think estimated taxes for Q4 can be paid online until later in the year so you may need to wait for December.
I have a few chase quarterly cards, otherwise I would use the pay tax service I'll be applying for the business card and using the tax payment to cover the SUB spend.
txpenny is offline  
Old Sep 15, 2021, 8:02 am
  #7  
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami, Mpls & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Posts: 48,734
Originally Posted by txpenny
Thanks, Mia. Any reason I shouldn't duplicate that list in the wiki for this thread?
That would be a good start.
mia is offline  
Old Sep 16, 2021, 1:39 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: CAN, LAX, TPE
Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Posts: 2,870
Originally Posted by lkar
PayUSATax allows you to make estimated tax payments for a 2 percent fee using a paypal account and I believe that has qualified for 5x in the past. So, a fairly easy way to generate 5x points from your living room for about .40 cents per point assuming it still works. I believe you are limited only to two payments per processor and I don't think estimated taxes for Q4 can be paid online until later in the year so you may need to wait for December.
Looks like a good use if you got 2 cards!
coolfish1103 is offline  
Old Sep 16, 2021, 7:26 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: TPA/DFW/K15
Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Posts: 1,643
The spouse and I have 3 cards. I believe I read somewhere that RNE has 6? It was written in first person speak, I believe.
txpenny is offline  
Old Sep 16, 2021, 9:02 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,270
Does Paypal have a timeline for everyone to have ability to get Paypal Key ?
DeltaNeutral28 is offline  
Old Sep 18, 2021, 2:13 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 126
Originally Posted by lkar
PayUSATax allows you to make estimated tax payments for a 2 percent fee using a paypal account and I believe that has qualified for 5x in the past. So, a fairly easy way to generate 5x points from your living room for about .40 cents per point assuming it still works. I believe you are limited only to two payments per processor and I don't think estimated taxes for Q4 can be paid online until later in the year so you may need to wait for December.
I believe the limit of two payments per processor you reference is actually an IRS "Velocity Limit" of two 1040ES online payments per taxpayer, (not processor). as per IRS online taxpayer account specific account info.

Personally, I have two old Freedoms and a flex. I'd love to use this play to max out 4Q 5x on all three with a few clicks, (but I assume I can only do two).

If anyone has any contrary information I'd appreciate hearing/reading it..
Chris58 is offline  
Old Sep 18, 2021, 2:44 pm
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: TPA/DFW/K15
Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Posts: 1,643
Originally Posted by Chris58
I believe the limit of two payments per processor you reference is actually an IRS "Velocity Limit" of two 1040ES online payments per taxpayer, (not processor). as per IRS online taxpayer account specific account info.

Personally, I have two old Freedoms and a flex. I'd love to use this play to max out 4Q 5x on all three with a few clicks, (but I assume I can only do two).

If anyone has any contrary information I'd appreciate hearing/reading it..
I believe you are correct, there are three services. I could go back and look them up from my 2019 tax year, but I made 6 payments using multiple services.
txpenny is offline  
Old Sep 18, 2021, 3:28 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: PHX
Posts: 4,779
Originally Posted by Chris58
I believe the limit of two payments per processor you reference is actually an IRS "Velocity Limit" of two 1040ES online payments per taxpayer, (not processor). as per IRS online taxpayer account specific account info.

Personally, I have two old Freedoms and a flex. I'd love to use this play to max out 4Q 5x on all three with a few clicks, (but I assume I can only do two).

If anyone has any contrary information I'd appreciate hearing/reading it..
Originally Posted by txpenny
I believe you are correct, there are three services. I could go back and look them up from my 2019 tax year, but I made 6 payments using multiple services.
Yes, two per processor per person. I have also done 6 by using all 3 processors. The problem is that only one processor takes PayPal I think.
lkar is offline  
Old Sep 19, 2021, 1:09 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 126
Originally Posted by txpenny
I believe you are correct, there are three services. I could go back and look them up from my 2019 tax year, but I made 6 payments using multiple services.
Originally Posted by lkar
Yes, two per processor per person. I have also done 6 by using all 3 processors. The problem is that only one processor takes PayPal I think.
I realize I left something out of my post about my understanding of IRS "Velocity Limits".

My Understanding is that this IRS velocity limit for 1040ES payments via one of the 3 processors they accept is two 1040 ES payments "Per Quarter" for any taxpayer.

Question for you guys, were the six 1040ES payments you made in a single tax year during a single quarter, (or spread across three quarters)??
Chris58 is offline  
Old Sep 19, 2021, 2:14 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: PHX
Posts: 4,779
Originally Posted by Chris58
I realize I left something out of my post about my understanding of IRS "Velocity Limits".

My Understanding is that this IRS velocity limit for 1040ES payments via one of the 3 processors they accept is two 1040 ES payments "Per Quarter" for any taxpayer.

Question for you guys, were the six 1040ES payments you made in a single tax year during a single quarter, (or spread across three quarters)??
Per quarter. But I believe all of them do not open up estimated tax payments for the quarter until about 30-45 days before the due date. So for purposes of the freedom 5x you probably have to wait until December to make estimated tax payments.
lkar is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.