Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Q4 2021 Chase Freedom Cards--5% bonus: Walmart & Paypal Purchases

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 15, 2021, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: txpenny
Here is the paypal list of vendors that should trigger the 5% category bonus for "paypal purchases". I've copied it over from the AMEX thread "https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...june-30-a.html". Please feel free update with your experiences.

Merchant Description
While a PayPal charge is pending, "PayPal" may not appear in the merchant description but will once the charge posts (e.g., a pending charge listed as "BESTBUY.COM" will become "PAYPAL BESTBUY.COM"). - need to see if this works the same on Chase as it does AMEX.

Google Pay
PayPal can be added to Google Pay via payments.google.com > Payment Methods > Add a payment method (note that not all Google Pay is created equal; e.g. this doesn't seem to work for Fi payments - at least on AMEX)

Known Working Examples
List of some vendors that accept PayPal, from the official PayPal website: https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mp...l-credit-promo

Travel
  • Airfare purchased from some airline websites. (does not work with DL, UA, WN as they do not accept AMEX via PayPal) (need to check how airfare works with Chase).
  • Flightradar 24
  • Uber Cash reloads
  • Lyft cash reload
  • US passport renewal application fee may accept PayPal
Donations and content creator payment platforms
  • Nonprofits: Doctors Without Borders, Feeding America, Pro Publica, WBEZ, KUOW
  • Bandcamp
  • Patreon
Shopping
  • Ace Hardware (online only?)
  • AARP Gift Cards (note discounted every Monday through rewards portal) as well as your membership dues
  • Banza Chickpea Pasta (eatbanza.com)
  • Bed Bath & Beyond (online orders)
  • Best Buy
  • Chewy
  • CVS Drugstore/Pharmacy (using “show to pay” QR code generated in Pay Pal app) Pay Pal must be “mapped” to qualifying Amex card with said benefit
  • eBay, including seller charges
  • Eddie Bauer (online only?)
  • Ex Officio
  • Express Scripts prescription fulfillment
  • Gap Factory Web
  • store.google.com
  • Home Depot (definitely online, possibly also in-store)
  • Hudson Valley Foie Gras
  • Keurig.com - it can be a set it and forget it if you use Green Mountain's subscription service
  • Macy's (online only?)
  • Nuts.com
  • PayPal eGift cards (merchant gift cards)
  • Poshmark
  • Starbucks card reloads
  • T2 Tea (online)
  • Target (not on iOS app)
  • USPS.com (stamps, shipping supplies, cards and envelopes, etc.)
  • Walmart
Streaming/Digital subscriptions
  • AT&T TV Now
  • CBS All Access
  • Disney+
  • Hulu
  • Netflix
  • NY Times
  • Spotify
Phone / Videoconference Services
  • VOIP.MS
  • Airalo.com
  • Zoom
Gas Stations
  • Shell (via Shell app) - however, note some FT'ers have reported needing to call in and manually credit
  • BP (via BPme app)
Gaming Digital Distribution Platforms
  • Steam (wallet reloads work)
  • PlayStation Network (wallet reloads work)
  • Battle.net (wallet reloads work)
Dining
  • Grubhub / Seamless / UberEats
Home utilities
  • Puget Sound Energy (PSE)
  • Possibly others that use "Paymentus" as a processor
Print Wikipost

Q4 2021 Chase Freedom Cards--5% bonus: Walmart & Paypal Purchases

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2021, 9:35 pm

I made two different purchases/transactions on the same self checkout machine, one right after the other, at a local Walmart. One coded as "wal-mart XXXX" where XXX is the store number and got 5x, but the other coded as "WM supercenter XXXX" where XXXX is the SAME store number and that only gave 1x credit! The receipts show only about 1.5 minutes apart. This is frustrating...
Old Oct 7, 2021, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by Burj
I made two different purchases/transactions on the same self checkout machine, one right after the other, at a local Walmart. One coded as "wal-mart XXXX" where XXX is the store number and got 5x, but the other coded as "WM supercenter XXXX" where XXXX is the SAME store number and that only gave 1x credit! The receipts show only about 1.5 minutes apart. This is frustrating...
Perhaps it depends on the product(s) being purchased.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 8:52 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I think it is a difference in the processor that Walmart uses for the specific transaction. Walmart typically uses ChaseNet to process payments made using a Chase card, but it uses another network for other cards, including other VISA issuers, and it has the option to route Chase transactions through the primary network.

In 2016, Walmart announced a pact with JPMorgan Chase ....

The processing deal, which expands on the companies' earlier relationship for handling Walmart’s e-commerce transactions, diverts Chase card payments at more than 5,000 Walmart and Sam’s Club stores through ChaseNet, a closed-loop system designed to slash costs for merchants.

Chase accomplishes this by acting as the acquirer, network and issuer for transactions where both the cardholder and the merchant are Chase clients. And from the perspective of Walmart, this deal hands it a long-desired holy grail: less expensive Visa transactions.

“We will still have a relationship with Visa for non-Chase transactions,” but the deal with Chase "will bring much-needed competition to the payments markets," said Randy Hargrove, a Walmart spokesman, at the time of the announcement....The deal with Chase gives Walmart significant new leverage in how it handles Visa transactions. “Walmart will have the ability to selectively route transactions based on the performance of the payment providers,” Hargrove said.
https://www.americanbanker.com/payme...u-need-to-know
Old Oct 7, 2021, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by pallhedge
Perhaps it depends on the product(s) being purchased.
That is the thing...TWO identical items! Was getting one for me and one for a relative. That is why I did separate transactions so I could give the receipt to the relative along with the item so they could zelle me the exact amount.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 5:06 pm

I cannot get PayPal key?

Originally Posted by richiezc
Actually this is the easiest qtr to max out, hookup your paypal key (virtual debit card) to your chase freedom card and you can spend anywhere online or over the phone that takes master card with a few exceptions now like not being able to pay your taxes.

What is PayPal Key and where can I use it?
I recently found out about PayPal Key. Longtime user (20 + years) frequent user, great credit. I have never been offered it. Contact through chat and phone call, was told “not available to me yet.” ! Per Reddit user advice, I added debit card. Have not received physical card yet and do not plan to ever use it. I am a little irritated, but mostly curious who gets Key?
Please advise if I should post on another forum.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 5:12 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriot LTG
Originally Posted by Susan4
I recently found out about PayPal Key. Longtime user (20 + years) frequent user, great credit. I have never been offered it. Contact through chat and phone call, was told “not available to me yet.” ! Per Reddit user advice, I added debit card. Have not received physical card yet and do not plan to ever use it. I am a little irritated, but mostly curious who gets Key?
Please advise if I should post on another forum.
No idea, try this link and see if you can set it up. I had a friend who couldn't see it from the frontend but this link worked:
https://www.paypal.com/myaccount/debitcards/search?product_name=CONSUMER_VIRTUAL_DEBIT_CARD&en trypoint=web_dt_mgt
Old Oct 7, 2021, 7:32 pm

Thanks, but no go.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 1:53 am

Originally Posted by mfFrom35K
We file married filing jointly. We do have two separate IRS online accounts to check the posting of payments. I have been doing this for multiple years; first with pay1040.com and the last two years with PayUSAtax (to get the Chase Bonus and also because it is now cheaper than Pay1040). Pay1040 actually asks for both tax IDs but PayUSAtax does not.

I just ignore the warning as the IRS has been able to properly apply the payments.

I am a bit surprised that my attempts have failed after two with different tax IDs this time as I don't see how PayUSAtax even has any data connecting our two tax IDs. I doubt they have some kind of API with the IRS to screen this out but who knows. In any case I will now be waiting until Dec 15 to try again but will also assume that only two more attempts will work.. Might have to do some shopping at Walmart.
Cheers my friend and thank you for this.

As this game goes things that work continue to work right up until they don't.

Like yourself I'll just wait until December to max-out the 2 F5's I can do with this play, (hope you can max-out all your F5's).
Old Oct 17, 2021, 12:52 pm

Weird DP over here. I used the PayPal Key saved to my United account to pay the taxes on an award redemption next year. It split the transaction in three(equal for each person which likely isn't that strange) but the charge showed up on my Freedom Flex as being directly with United. Not sure how that would happen..
Old Oct 17, 2021, 4:26 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by CaptJOB
....charge showed up on my Freedom Flex ....
Pending or final posted transaction?
Old Oct 17, 2021, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Pending or final posted transaction?
It's posted. I'm more than halfway maxing out my three Freedom/Flex cards so it's not a huge deal but it is strange. I even double-checked to make sure the card wasn't in my UA account saved. Nada.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 1:09 pm

I just tried to make an estimated tax payment on payusatax using the paypal button but I can't get it to work. When I click the button I get the spinning wheel for a second as though it is going to send me to paypal but then it doesn't. Anyone else having this issue or figured out a workaround?
Old Nov 1, 2021, 2:54 pm

Programs: HIlton Diamond, Delta , Southwest, Amex Corp Plat, AA
Can anyone tell me if there has been issues with American plane tickets via Paypal or Paypal key? I made a $400 ticket purchase a few weeks ago and used PP key and it coded as `1x on a flex card with zero indication that it was purchased via Paypal. I have another $1,500 of American tickets to purchase I want to figure it out before I buy. I don't know if using straight Paypal is a better option vs. the key. I feel like I read something about this being an issue at some point.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by shmom
Can anyone tell me if there has been issues with American plane tickets via Paypal or Paypal key? I made a $400 ticket purchase a few weeks ago and used PP key and it coded as `1x on a flex card with zero indication that it was purchased via Paypal. I have another $1,500 of American tickets to purchase I want to figure it out before I buy. I don't know if using straight Paypal is a better option vs. the key. I feel like I read something about this being an issue at some point.
Happened to me on United with PPK. Coded as United direct and received no bonus. Fortunately it was just taxes on an award. Have a Pay in 4 with PayPal set up on another United ticket and it's coding correctly for the 5x URs
Old Nov 2, 2021, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
No. Walmart and PayPal are not “eligible categories” for this promotion.
Eligible categories include: travel (including transit), dining, home improvement stores, select streaming services, select live entertainment, gas stations, drugstores, fitness clubs, grocery stores (not including Target and Walmart purchases).
I believe dining via PayPal should count. I have used Seamless via PayPal a few times for dining and received the 1% base + 2% additional for dining + 4% for paypal. My guess is this will count towards the dining category and thus could result in an additional 4% if dining is the highest spend category. Thus 1% + 2% + 4% + 4% = 11%. That said no guarantee I'll get the 4% until the additional bonus hits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.