Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express Platinum: $30 PayPal Credit Per Month Until June 30

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2021, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TEDisgone
Merchant Description
While a PayPal charge is pending, "PayPal" may not appear in the merchant description but will once the charge posts (e.g., a pending charge listed as "BESTBUY.COM" will become "PAYPAL BESTBUY.COM"). The reimbursement appears as "AMEX PAYPAL CREDIT", typically around 3 days later.

Google Pay
PayPal can be added to Google Pay via payments.google.com > Payment Methods > Add a payment method (note that not all Google Pay is created equal; e.g. this doesn't seem to work for Fi payments)

Known Working Examples
List of some vendors that accept PayPal, from the official PayPal website: https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mp...l-credit-promo

Travel
  • Airfare purchased from some airline websites (does not work with DL, UA, WN as they do not accept AMEX via PayPal)
  • Flightradar 24
  • Uber Cash reloads
  • Lyft cash reload
  • US passport renewal application fee may accept PayPal
Donations and content creator payment platforms
  • Nonprofits: Doctors Without Borders, Feeding America, Pro Publica, WBEZ, KUOW
  • Bandcamp
  • Patreon
Shopping
  • Ace Hardware (online only?)
  • AARP Gift Cards (note discounted every Monday through rewards portal) as well as your membership dues
  • Banza Chickpea Pasta (eatbanza.com)
  • Bed Bath & Beyond (online orders)
  • Best Buy
  • Chewy
  • CVS Drugstore/Pharmacy (using “show to pay” QR code generated in Pay Pal app) Pay Pal must be “mapped” to qualifying Amex card with said benefit
  • eBay, including seller charges
  • Eddie Bauer (online only?)
  • Ex Officio
  • Express Scripts prescription fulfillment
  • Gap Factory Web
  • store.google.com
  • Home Depot (definitely online, possibly also in-store)
  • Keurig.com - it can be a set it and forget it if you use Green Mountain's subscription service
  • Macy's (online only?)
  • Nuts.com
  • PayPal eGift cards (merchant gift cards)
  • Poshmark
  • Starbucks card reloads
  • T2 Tea (online)
  • Target (not on iOS app)
  • USPS.com (stamps, shipping supplies, cards and envelopes, etc.)
  • Walmart
Streaming/Digital subscriptions
  • AT&T TV Now
  • CBS All Access
  • Disney+
  • Hulu
  • Netflix
  • NY Times
  • Spotify
Phone / Videoconference Services
  • VOIP.MS
  • Airalo.com
  • Zoom
Gas Stations
  • Shell (via Shell app) - however, note some FT'ers have reported needing to call in and manually credit
  • BP (via BPme app)
Gaming Digital Distribution Platforms
  • Steam (wallet reloads work)
  • PlayStation Network (wallet reloads work)
  • Battle.net (wallet reloads work)
Dining
  • Grubhub / Seamless / UberEats
Home utilities
  • Puget Sound Energy (PSE)
  • Possibly others that use "Paymentus" as a processor
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2021, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

New credit to replace the streaming / wireless credits.....

https://www.americanexpress.com/en-u...s/paypal-faqs/
Old Jan 1, 2021, 3:43 pm

I've never purchased anything using paypal. I assume it posts as "paypal" in some way so you cannot double dip (i.e. pay with PayPal from Saks and get the $50 refund as well)?

Anyone know if using Paypal to pay ebay fees (e.g. shipping, seller's fees) should count for this? I'm going to test it out either way but it wasn't clear to me whether this should work from the FAQ

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Literally just cold hard cash! Almost makes me want to upgrade a Gold... Wait, can you not just send this back to your linked bank account?
Duke787 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 4:18 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott LT Titanium, AA EXP, Avis Chairmans
Is there any US online source for buying Amazon gift cards at cost via Paypal?
Old Jan 1, 2021, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by msp3
Literally just cold hard cash! Almost makes me want to upgrade a Gold... Wait, can you not just send this back to your linked bank account?
I'm almost positive the terms would exclude that type of thing. No way Amex would let that slip by.

Even for organic use this is incredibly easy to use as the majority of websites take Paypal.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 4:48 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by Sloflyer032
I've never purchased anything using paypal. I assume it posts as "paypal" in some way so you cannot double dip (i.e. pay with PayPal from Saks and get the $50 refund as well)?
For the saks credit I assume it’s like Amex offers to where you need to purchase directly without 3rd party (PayPal) vendor.

for categories they stack (I’m not sure if any carriers accept PayPal)
Old Jan 1, 2021, 4:49 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by kdm31091
I'm almost positive the terms would exclude that type of thing. No way Amex would let that slip by.

Even for organic use this is incredibly easy to use as the majority of websites take Paypal.
excludes p2p transactions.

literally, if you’re spend 30$ a month online you could use this credit easy
Old Jan 1, 2021, 4:54 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Nice!
Old Jan 1, 2021, 5:01 pm

This is great, since applying and becoming a card member since August 2020 am almost receiving $1k in value!

$100 (5 months of streaming credits)
$100 (5 months of wireless credits)
$200 (southwest airline credit)
$100 (saks store)
$200 (uber credits)
$100 (amex offer that came up for Dell purchase 100 off 100)
$180 (this new paypal credit)
= $980, almost doubling the $550 annual fee that was paid!
Old Jan 1, 2021, 5:11 pm

I'm actually having a hard time coming up with ideas on how to use this credit. Are there any recurring services that accept PayPal as a form of payment?

EDIT: I set my itunes account to PayPal (tied to me AMEX Platinum). Will see if that works.

Last edited by newsmanhoss; Jan 1, 2021 at 5:23 pm
Old Jan 1, 2021, 5:12 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA
What is an “eligible merchant”?

I read the FAQs, but didn’t see an explanation of it, or “eligible purchases”.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by Sloflyer032
You're correct. It posts as Paypal, so it wouldn't trigger any Saks credits or many Amex offers that require you to buy directly from the merchant and not through a 3rd Party.
I don't know how Amex handles Paypal transactions when resolving a dispute.

One time I made a large purchase through a merchant using Paypal as the payment method. When I had an issue with the quality of the merchandise, I contacted the merchant and then the credit card company. Since the transaction was coded as Paypal, the credit card company said I needed to deal with Paypal. Eventually, everything was resolved, but it's why I typically don't use Paypal for large transactions or cases where I may want purchase protection/extended warranty coverage etc, since Paypal adds an extra layer as the middle man.

As someone that that doesn't use Paypal regularly, I would recommend buying from Target or Walmart for groceries/incidental items and use Paypal as the checkout method.
Most grocery items are small enough in value that Walmart/Target will just let you exchange the item if you have an issue and you aren't going to need extended warranty protection on a jar of pickles or peanut butter or a bunch of bananas
Magna, volabam and akr1970akr like this.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 5:17 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by newsmanhoss
I'm actually having a hard time coming up with ideas on how to use this credit. Are there any recurring services that accept PayPal as a form of payment?
Yes! From what I’ve seen so far with my own accounts, Netflix and Disney+ do (I read Hulu might, but I no longer subscribe so I couldn’t confirm); the NYTimes’ digital subscription does as well.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by newsmanhoss
Do you shop online? Most major merchants take Paypal as payment

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.