Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Q4 2021 Chase Freedom Cards--5% bonus: Walmart & Paypal Purchases

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 15, 2021, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: txpenny
Here is the paypal list of vendors that should trigger the 5% category bonus for "paypal purchases". I've copied it over from the AMEX thread "https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...june-30-a.html". Please feel free update with your experiences.

Merchant Description
While a PayPal charge is pending, "PayPal" may not appear in the merchant description but will once the charge posts (e.g., a pending charge listed as "BESTBUY.COM" will become "PAYPAL BESTBUY.COM"). - need to see if this works the same on Chase as it does AMEX.

Google Pay
PayPal can be added to Google Pay via payments.google.com > Payment Methods > Add a payment method (note that not all Google Pay is created equal; e.g. this doesn't seem to work for Fi payments - at least on AMEX)

Known Working Examples
List of some vendors that accept PayPal, from the official PayPal website: https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mp...l-credit-promo

Travel
  • Airfare purchased from some airline websites. (does not work with DL, UA, WN as they do not accept AMEX via PayPal) (need to check how airfare works with Chase).
  • Flightradar 24
  • Uber Cash reloads
  • Lyft cash reload
  • US passport renewal application fee may accept PayPal
Donations and content creator payment platforms
  • Nonprofits: Doctors Without Borders, Feeding America, Pro Publica, WBEZ, KUOW
  • Bandcamp
  • Patreon
Shopping
  • Ace Hardware (online only?)
  • AARP Gift Cards (note discounted every Monday through rewards portal) as well as your membership dues
  • Banza Chickpea Pasta (eatbanza.com)
  • Bed Bath & Beyond (online orders)
  • Best Buy
  • Chewy
  • CVS Drugstore/Pharmacy (using “show to pay” QR code generated in Pay Pal app) Pay Pal must be “mapped” to qualifying Amex card with said benefit
  • eBay, including seller charges
  • Eddie Bauer (online only?)
  • Ex Officio
  • Express Scripts prescription fulfillment
  • Gap Factory Web
  • store.google.com
  • Home Depot (definitely online, possibly also in-store)
  • Hudson Valley Foie Gras
  • Keurig.com - it can be a set it and forget it if you use Green Mountain's subscription service
  • Macy's (online only?)
  • Nuts.com
  • PayPal eGift cards (merchant gift cards)
  • Poshmark
  • Starbucks card reloads
  • T2 Tea (online)
  • Target (not on iOS app)
  • USPS.com (stamps, shipping supplies, cards and envelopes, etc.)
  • Walmart
Streaming/Digital subscriptions
  • AT&T TV Now
  • CBS All Access
  • Disney+
  • Hulu
  • Netflix
  • NY Times
  • Spotify
Phone / Videoconference Services
  • VOIP.MS
  • Airalo.com
  • Zoom
Gas Stations
  • Shell (via Shell app) - however, note some FT'ers have reported needing to call in and manually credit
  • BP (via BPme app)
Gaming Digital Distribution Platforms
  • Steam (wallet reloads work)
  • PlayStation Network (wallet reloads work)
  • Battle.net (wallet reloads work)
Dining
  • Grubhub / Seamless / UberEats
Home utilities
  • Puget Sound Energy (PSE)
  • Possibly others that use "Paymentus" as a processor
Print Wikipost

Q4 2021 Chase Freedom Cards--5% bonus: Walmart & Paypal Purchases

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2021, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by Chris58
Hi guys, just thought I'd leave a DP if you're following.

I decided to try a few minutes ago rather than waiting until Dec 15, and the $1,472 on my old Freedom5 went through no problem, (pending charge to Pay Pal shows on Chase website). So obviously Dec 1 is the date it can be done again after making 2 Q3 1040ES payments.

I'll try my other Freedom5 later.

Update: Just tried to do my 2nd Freedom5 and got the same "Circle for a minute and disappear" of the PayPal box.

Maybe you can't do two the same day? or maybe the timing of my 2 Q3 payments, (7/10 & 8/10?
Hi, were you able to eventually to make the 2nd PPL payment? If so, what's the workaround?
Old Dec 16, 2021, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by rapatelrocky
I can confirm that Paypal at CVS does work for 7%: (on flex):

TransactionDateAmount Earn RatePoints
PAYPAL * CVS PHA 00506 10/24 $8.53 7% 59.71 pts
I thought it was supposed to be 9% on Flex
Old Dec 17, 2021, 5:17 am

Programs: Delta Platinum & MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, National Car Executive
Originally Posted by mfFrom35K
I made one in September using my TaxID which has this problem; the September payment was using a credit card rather than Paypal. I also made one for $1,471.17 over the weekend using Paypal which worked using my wife's TaxID. After the transaction that worked all other attempts failed with the Paypal popup showing and then quickly disappearing with no message. This has occurred in multiple browsers on multiple machines and after deleting the browsing history on Chrome. By my count I have made one payment with two separate TaxIDs for the 3rd quarter meaning I should still be able to do one more each now (which is how it worked last year) and two more each in mid December for the 4th quarter.

We have five Freedom cards between the two of us. So it would be great to get this working.
I am now back to post my experience making Q4 payments after getting stuck in Q3 with fewer than I wanted.

Last night I made a payment using my TaxID and one of our remaining Chase Freedom cards. It went thru as expected.
This morning I tried again with my TaxId and it failed with the same problem experienced in early October. I then tried again using my wife's TaxId and it worked.

I am out of Freedom cards to keep trying as I managed to maximize the paypal bonus with regular spending on my other two Freedom cards. So I am not going to try again. I don't know if the failure this morning using my TaxId was because it was too soon as last night's payment hasn't fully processed or if they are somehow limiting use of Chase Freedom with Paypal to once per TaxID per quarter.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 8:24 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Question: If I have not been paying quarterly 1040ES payments, can I simply prepay some taxes that I know will be due in April? If so, what do I label the payment as?

I actually did do this last year but I think it caused some issues (resolved) and I can’t remember what exactly I did. Hoping to make two payments with two Freedom cards.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 9:18 am

I am now back to post my experience making Q4 payments after getting stuck in Q3 with fewer than I wanted.

Last night I made a payment using my TaxID and one of our remaining Chase Freedom cards. It went thru as expected.
This morning I tried again with my TaxId and it failed with the same problem experienced in early October. I then tried again using my wife's TaxId and it worked.

I am out of Freedom cards to keep trying as I managed to maximize the paypal bonus with regular spending on my other two Freedom cards. So I am not going to try again. I don't know if the failure this morning using my TaxId was because it was too soon as last night's payment hasn't fully processed or if they are somehow limiting use of Chase Freedom with Paypal to once per TaxID per quarter.
So do you mean you now used two different primary SSNs to pay on PayUSATax via Paypal for this quarter, right? My concern is if IRS will correctly recognize both are for the same joint return you are going to do in a few months though someone mentioned above it should.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 10:51 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Question: If I have not been paying quarterly 1040ES payments, can I simply prepay some taxes that I know will be due in April? If so, what do I label the payment as?
You can still call it 1040ES. There is no particular requirement that estimated payments actually occur quarterly (you can make only one, or more than 4) or in any specific amount.

(I mean, other than the general overarching rule of, if your withholding + estimated payments doesn't meet certain thresholds then penalties could apply, or if you overpay you may have to wait for a refund etc.)
Stgermainparis likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 11:13 am

Programs: Delta Platinum & MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, National Car Executive
Originally Posted by popomama
So do you mean you now used two different primary SSNs to pay on PayUSATax via Paypal for this quarter, right? My concern is if IRS will correctly recognize both are for the same joint return you are going to do in a few months though someone mentioned above it should.
I have done this several times over the last few years and never had a problem. Someone did mention having problems above. Hopefully, that won't happen this time.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 11:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Zorak
You can still call it 1040ES. There is no particular requirement that estimated payments actually occur quarterly (you can make only one, or more than 4) or in any specific amount.

(I mean, other than the general overarching rule of, if your withholding + estimated payments doesn't meet certain thresholds then penalties could apply, or if you overpay you may have to wait for a refund etc.)
Okay, that’s perfect. I’ll do two for myself at $1500 each. I am primary filer on 1040.

I Read somewhere else that there is a two limit payment but can’t remember if that was due to the payment processor or the IRS. Anyone know? Realized we have two more Freedoms with P2 and P3.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 11:59 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Okay, that’s perfect. I’ll do two for myself at $1500 each. I am primary filer on 1040.

I Read somewhere else that there is a two limit payment but can’t remember if that was due to the payment processor or the IRS. Anyone know? Realized we have two more Freedoms with P2 and P3.
Wiki in the master thread says 2 payments per processor per type of tax (with annual and quarterly being different types): Paying USA income, property or other taxes with a credit card

(and implicitly per tax ID I would assume)
Old Dec 18, 2021, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by popomama
I have done this several times over the last few years and never had a problem. Someone did mention having problems above. Hopefully, that won't happen this time.
I mentioned in another thread that last year I made a payment as primary (via pay1040 or something, not PayPal portal) with my SSN. It showed up in spouse’s online IRS account so it definitely was cross referenced somehow. For some reason I cannot get access to an online irs account. Tried many times but no go.

Update: just was able to sign up for irs account access via ID.me. I see all the payments on both my and spouse’s payment activity.

Do you think the hangup with second payment via PayPal could be circumvented by using a different PayPal account or is it the SSN. I’m nervous about paying with secondary SSN.

Last edited by Stgermainparis; Dec 18, 2021 at 12:12 pm
Old Dec 18, 2021, 12:41 pm

Well, darn. Forgot to activate on my second Freedom. 😫
Old Dec 18, 2021, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
Wiki in the master thread says 2 payments per processor per type of tax (with annual and quarterly being different types): Paying USA income, property or other taxes with a credit card

(and implicitly per tax ID I would assume)
Except I was only able to do one per tax ID. Maybe Paypal is stopping more than one when the first one uses a Chase card that gives 5X; Paypal show the cards giving 5x. So they may know and want to stop more than one per tax ID. Or maybe I didn't wait long enough.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 4:15 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
. Maybe Paypal is stopping more than one ...
I think the explanation in post 85 is far more likely. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33724213-post85.html
Old Dec 19, 2021, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vm81
Originally Posted by rapatelrocky
I can confirm that Paypal at CVS does work for 7%: (on flex):

TransactionDateAmount Earn RatePoints
PAYPAL * CVS PHA 00506 10/24 $8.53 7% 59.71 pts
I thought it was supposed to be 9% on Flex
Why??? CVS is a drug store. Flex gives 3% not 5%, for drug stores. When you stack, you subract the original 1% (which does not count twice), so for drug stores it's 3% + 5% - 1% = 7%.

It's only when PayPal and what you used PayPal for are both 5% that it would be 9%.
DoB840 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 12:25 pm

I used PayPal app QR code to pay at CVS, I see it shows as 7%, I thought it should be 1% + 4% + 5%

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.