Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Q4 2021 Chase Freedom Cards--5% bonus: Walmart & Paypal Purchases

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 15, 2021, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: txpenny
Here is the paypal list of vendors that should trigger the 5% category bonus for "paypal purchases". I've copied it over from the AMEX thread "https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...june-30-a.html". Please feel free update with your experiences.

Merchant Description
While a PayPal charge is pending, "PayPal" may not appear in the merchant description but will once the charge posts (e.g., a pending charge listed as "BESTBUY.COM" will become "PAYPAL BESTBUY.COM"). - need to see if this works the same on Chase as it does AMEX.

Google Pay
PayPal can be added to Google Pay via payments.google.com > Payment Methods > Add a payment method (note that not all Google Pay is created equal; e.g. this doesn't seem to work for Fi payments - at least on AMEX)

Known Working Examples
List of some vendors that accept PayPal, from the official PayPal website: https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mp...l-credit-promo

Travel
  • Airfare purchased from some airline websites. (does not work with DL, UA, WN as they do not accept AMEX via PayPal) (need to check how airfare works with Chase).
  • Flightradar 24
  • Uber Cash reloads
  • Lyft cash reload
  • US passport renewal application fee may accept PayPal
Donations and content creator payment platforms
  • Nonprofits: Doctors Without Borders, Feeding America, Pro Publica, WBEZ, KUOW
  • Bandcamp
  • Patreon
Shopping
  • Ace Hardware (online only?)
  • AARP Gift Cards (note discounted every Monday through rewards portal) as well as your membership dues
  • Banza Chickpea Pasta (eatbanza.com)
  • Bed Bath & Beyond (online orders)
  • Best Buy
  • Chewy
  • CVS Drugstore/Pharmacy (using “show to pay” QR code generated in Pay Pal app) Pay Pal must be “mapped” to qualifying Amex card with said benefit
  • eBay, including seller charges
  • Eddie Bauer (online only?)
  • Ex Officio
  • Express Scripts prescription fulfillment
  • Gap Factory Web
  • store.google.com
  • Home Depot (definitely online, possibly also in-store)
  • Hudson Valley Foie Gras
  • Keurig.com - it can be a set it and forget it if you use Green Mountain's subscription service
  • Macy's (online only?)
  • Nuts.com
  • PayPal eGift cards (merchant gift cards)
  • Poshmark
  • Starbucks card reloads
  • T2 Tea (online)
  • Target (not on iOS app)
  • USPS.com (stamps, shipping supplies, cards and envelopes, etc.)
  • Walmart
Streaming/Digital subscriptions
  • AT&T TV Now
  • CBS All Access
  • Disney+
  • Hulu
  • Netflix
  • NY Times
  • Spotify
Phone / Videoconference Services
  • VOIP.MS
  • Airalo.com
  • Zoom
Gas Stations
  • Shell (via Shell app) - however, note some FT'ers have reported needing to call in and manually credit
  • BP (via BPme app)
Gaming Digital Distribution Platforms
  • Steam (wallet reloads work)
  • PlayStation Network (wallet reloads work)
  • Battle.net (wallet reloads work)
Dining
  • Grubhub / Seamless / UberEats
Home utilities
  • Puget Sound Energy (PSE)
  • Possibly others that use "Paymentus" as a processor
Print Wikipost

Q4 2021 Chase Freedom Cards--5% bonus: Walmart & Paypal Purchases

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2021, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by dave456
I believe dining via PayPal should count. I have used Seamless via PayPal a few times for dining and received the 1% base + 2% additional for dining + 4% for paypal. My guess is this will count towards the dining category and thus could result in an additional 4% if dining is the highest spend category. Thus 1% + 2% + 4% + 4% = 11%. That said no guarantee I'll get the 4% until the additional bonus hits.
For the purposes of this additional promotion, the bonus category is dining, not PayPal.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
FYI, it looks like for me at least, the PayPal card in Google Pay seems to only use your current PayPal balance. If your balance is less than the purchase, it will only reload from a bank account or debit card. Thus, unless I'm missing something, I'm not sure this is a viable option for people to take advantage of the 5x.

Also, the Home Depot self-checkout this morning didn't seem to have PayPal as an option. It's possible that you can use it at a manned register but I'm not sure how likely that is.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 10:57 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Dug this out of the previous AMEX thread in case it helps (I have not tried personally)

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...r#post32962648

Originally Posted by berombeu
Using Paypal at CVS was a bit tricky. Some cashiers there had no clue what it was when I showed them the Paypal QR code to pay. The cashier was even said, "we don't take Paypal". You have to instruct them to "hit other payment, then digital"
Old Nov 5, 2021, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by Zorak
Dug this out of the previous AMEX thread in case it helps (I have not tried personally)

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...r#post32962648
I can confirm that Paypal at CVS does work for 7%: (on flex):

TransactionDateAmount Earn RatePoints
PAYPAL * CVS PHA 00506 10/24 $8.53 7% 59.71 pts
Old Nov 8, 2021, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
For those who don't have a paypal key (like me, anymore), Hudson Valley Foie Gras is another paypal vendor.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by txpenny
For those who don't have a paypal key (like me, anymore), Hudson Valley Foie Gras is another paypal vendor.
Maybe I misunderstood you, but you implied that you had a Paypal key and don't anymore. Did something happen that caused Paypal to revoke it?

I'm not judging, I just want to avoid any potential problems.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by lkar
I just tried to make an estimated tax payment on payusatax using the paypal button but I can't get it to work. When I click the button I get the spinning wheel for a second as though it is going to send me to paypal but then it doesn't. Anyone else having this issue or figured out a workaround?
I have the same problem. I suspect it might have something to do with the fact that I already made a 1040 ES payment through PayUSATax for Q4. When I attempt to make the 1040 ES payment using a credit card, a warning window pops up alerting me to the fact that I already made a payment of this type for the quarter, but I am able to proceed with the payment. I suspect that the PayPal window gets hung up by the payment warning window. If I change my SSN by a digit, then the PayPal window opens without issue. This is just my guess - I emailed them and they do not respond.
lkar likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by diesteldorf
Maybe I misunderstood you, but you implied that you had a Paypal key and don't anymore. Did something happen that caused Paypal to revoke it?

I'm not judging, I just want to avoid any potential problems.
You read correctly.

I made the mistake of canceling my Paypal key as I thought it had been compromised. Turns out, that was my mistake.

Before canceling the key, however, I did read the Paypal FAQ which indicated that I could cancel, and then get a new paypal key. I've been waiting a couple of months now to get a link to the new key. Still nada.
diesteldorf likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 7:11 am

Has anyone made a single Freedom purchase of greater than $1500 in one of the rotating categories? I’m wondering if you will get 5X points on the first $1500 and 1X on and any remaining about (like you would expect), OR if for any reason the transaction only awarded 1X.

I have a large purchase that I can make through PayPal very soon and am debating using my freedom or my CFU.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Brentb05
Has anyone made a single Freedom purchase of greater than $1500 in one of the rotating categories? I’m wondering if you will get 5X points on the first $1500 and 1X on and any remaining about (like you would expect), OR if for any reason the transaction only awarded 1X.

I have a large purchase that I can make through PayPal very soon and am debating using my freedom or my CFU.
yes. I did this and the system will credit you appropriately. The first $1500 will get you 5x and anything above that will be 1x even if done in one transaction that exceeds $1500
DoB840 likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by mfFrom35K
I will now be waiting until Dec 15 to try again but will also assume that only two more attempts will work.. Might have to do some shopping at Walmart.
Originally Posted by lkar
Last time they had a paypal 5x I made 4 payments with payusa tax with myself as the primary and my P2 as the primary on the other 2. We file jointly but it was a big hassle to get them to apply the payments posted to her account to my account and I don't think I'm going to do it again.
Hi guys, just thought I'd leave a DP if you're following.

I decided to try a few minutes ago rather than waiting until Dec 15, and the $1,472 on my old Freedom5 went through no problem, (pending charge to Pay Pal shows on Chase website). So obviously Dec 1 is the date it can be done again after making 2 Q3 1040ES payments.

I'll try my other Freedom5 later.

Update: Just tried to do my 2nd Freedom5 and got the same "Circle for a minute and disappear" of the PayPal box.

Maybe you can't do two the same day? or maybe the timing of my 2 Q3 payments, (7/10 & 8/10?

Last edited by Chris58; Dec 2, 2021 at 5:04 pm Reason: additional point added
Old Dec 5, 2021, 5:39 pm

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
Traded some fungibility for some category conversion for next year- I bought Target Gift cards during the 10% sale and paid with PayPal to finish off the $1500.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 11:11 pm
ned

Programs: MTD pass holder
Originally Posted by biffer
I have the same problem. I suspect it might have something to do with the fact that I already made a 1040 ES payment through PayUSATax for Q4. When I attempt to make the 1040 ES payment using a credit card, a warning window pops up alerting me to the fact that I already made a payment of this type for the quarter, but I am able to proceed with the payment. I suspect that the PayPal window gets hung up by the payment warning window. If I change my SSN by a digit, then the PayPal window opens without issue. This is just my guess - I emailed them and they do not respond.
I am also having this experience when trying to make a second 4th quarter estimate payment using PayPal. I waited 3 days and used a different Freedom card. Anybody found a way around this problem?
Old Dec 14, 2021, 3:32 pm

Did you pay by Paypal key or Paypal? for Paypal key it was only 3 dollars fee but it says that my bank did not allow it. for Paypal it is 2% of the total amount

Last edited by ou5603; Dec 15, 2021 at 7:05 am
Old Dec 16, 2021, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by ned
I am also having this experience when trying to make a second 4th quarter estimate payment using PayPal. I waited 3 days and used a different Freedom card. Anybody found a way around this problem?
Hi,
Were you able to eventually make the 2nd Payment via Paypal after several days?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.