Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase closed my CSR. Why?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2020, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Glad to hear they recognized the problem and reinstated your accounts.

Assuming your wife has other cards in her own name, I would consider closing her CSR account and making her an authorized user on your account instead. And if your son isn’t traveling much, there are probably better cards than the CSR for his spend.
+1.

I don’t know if Chase already fixed the root cause, but my CSR Balance is now negative due PYB, and it shows minimum payment of $0 dollars due (I did have charges during the just closed period, but less than the credits). It also shows that auto-pay will pay $0.
Personally I would disable AutoPay for now. But also add Alerts to the accounts - for each and every card, set the alerts on Balance / Payment Due / Payment or Credit Received - you can either use text or use email address. Email works better as it is just so much easier to set up folder in your in box to file emails by category.

I would set email alert on Payment Due in X days. I set the X to 10 days though some banks default that to 7 days. Forgot if Chase has a default value or an empty space for input.

I have not made any payments the past 3 months since the Pay Yourself Back feature came on in June as 99% of the spends were at Home Improvement / Grocery Store / Restaurant, so all were offset by the PYB redemption. The 1% spend at gas station is completely offset by the PYB before due date with New PYB redemption rolled in mid cycle. Do not have any issue so far but then the account has no AutoPay, hence no chance for the system glitch to show up.
kb1992 likes this.

Last edited by Happy; Sep 28, 2020 at 1:25 pm
Old Sep 28, 2020, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Arrow

Originally Posted by garykung
I thought you said you just applied for a new Chase card...am I misunderstood?
Originally Posted by philemer
The OP said he hasn't..
This is what happened: shortly after my CSR account was closed, I applied Chase Freedom card. Got a message from Chase Fraud Dept. asking me to call to verify my identity. I have been in China and Skype quality is very poor. So I didn't bother.

BTW, I only have 2 credit cards with me, no new cards for 4 years until the Freedom card application which caught the attention from Fraud Dept :-)

My credit score is still 831 as of today. My total credit for 2 cards is $70K and I am only using 1%. This pandemic messed up everything!

Glad to hear they recognized the problem and reinstated your accounts.

Assuming your wife has other cards in her own name, I would consider closing her CSR account and making her an authorized user on your account instead. And if your son isn’t traveling much, there are probably better cards than the CSR for his spend.

I don’t know if Chase already fixed the root cause, but my CSR Balance is now negative due PYB, and it shows minimum payment of $0 dollars due (I did have charges during the just closed period, but less than the credits). It also shows that auto-pay will pay $0.
Thank you so much for all your help. It's greatly appreciated. I can't say enough.

My wife also only has 2 cards despite of 6-figure annual income. Her credit score is even higher than me :-) I'll consult her to see if she can close her CSR and get another card with no annual fee. Same thing for my son.

If we close both of their accounts, then all UR points (I think the total is something like 1.5 million) has no place to go but to my account. :-)

Hopefully this is not a problem (we live in same household).

Originally Posted by Happy
+1.

Personally I would disable AutoPay for now. But also add Alerts to the accounts - for each and every card, set the alerts on Balance / Payment Due / Payment or Credit Received - you can either use text or use email address. Email works better as it is just so much easier to set up folder in your in box to file emails by category.

I would set email alert on Payment Due in X days. I set the X to 10 days though some banks default that to 7 days. Forgot if Chase has a default value or an empty space for input.

I have not made any payments the past 3 months since the Pay Yourself Back feature came on in June as 99% of the spends were at Home Improvement / Grocery Store / Restaurant, so all were offset by the PYB redemption. The 1% spend at gas station is completely offset by the PYB before due date with New PYB redemption rolled in mid cycle. Do not have any issue so far but then the account has no AutoPay, hence no chance for the system glitch to show up.
Excellent suggestion. Thank you so much.

I'll disable AutoPay. Who knows what crazy system bug from Chase would hit me again!
Old Sep 28, 2020, 11:03 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by kb1992
......My wife also only has 2 cards despite of 6-figure annual income. Her credit score is even higher than me :-) I'll consult her to see if she can close her CSR and get another card with no annual fee. Same thing for my son.

If we close both of their accounts, then all UR points (I think the total is something like 1.5 million) has no place to go but to my account. :-)......
You are probably aware of this. Your wife/son can get the no AF Freedom/Flex and maintain their respective balance of UR points. Obviously, they are more valuable when redeemed through CSR/CSP because of the multiplier or the ability to transfer into FFP/hotel programs. I am glad to hear that you are able to get everything straightened out.

LAX
Old Sep 29, 2020, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by kb1992
I am happy to report that Chase has reinstated my account quickly after I emailed Chase Consumer Banking CEO and secondary contact. Someone from Chase Executive Office left a message in my office voice mail within 24-48 hours after my email was sent. This is impressive speed of response. I happened to check my office voice mail or I didn't even know that my account is back.

I wrote that many people might also be negatively affected by Chase AutoPay due to much less spend during COVID-19. It's a serious system flaw that needs to be addressed. The message I got from Chase acknowledged this issue, promised quick reinstatement of my account, and left name and phone number I can call should I have any questions or concerns. It's done very professionally.

My next issues:

1) I have transferred 1 million UR points to my son. He doesn't travel much. Should I transfer all the points back to my account?

2) My wife and son both have CSR cards. With travel spending way down, it doesn't make too much sense to pay 3X hefty fees. Maybe we should close 1-2 cards?

Many thanks to all of you for offering valuable suggestions. In particular, I am grateful to Happy who sent me several PMs to assist and notquiteaff for helping with Chase Executive contacts.

I have been a FT member for 17 years, and this thread is what makes FT such a great community.
Chase acknowledging is nice but what will really be meaningful is if they fix the problem, for everyone. If they don't, just says they don't give a rats a**
strickerj likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 7:58 am

I recently had my CSR closed for the exact same reason as the OP. I had immediately called the CSR customer service and spoke to a supervisor who said there was nothing they could do. My local Chase branch manager had a rep from Chase Executive office reach out to me but they could not help either. So far all attempts to re-open have been met with failure. Any help I can get in matter would be much appreciated!
strickerj likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rvinsight
I recently had my CSR closed for the exact same reason as the OP. I had immediately called the CSR customer service and spoke to a supervisor who said there was nothing they could do. My local Chase branch manager had a rep from Chase Executive office reach out to me but they could not help either. So far all attempts to re-open have been met with failure. Any help I can get in matter would be much appreciated!
Since you have found this thread, wouldn't you have read what the OP has done? All the info and the details on action taken order to get a positive response from Exec Office are right in this thread. There is NOTHING MORE anyone could further suggest to you.
Petdog likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 1:27 pm

Since you have found this thread, wouldn't you have read what the OP has done? All the info and the details on action taken order to get a positive response from Exec Office are right in this thread. There is NOTHING MORE anyone could further suggest to you.
Sorry to have bothered you. My phone browser makes it difficult to follow this thread as it bounces me to random pages as I am trying to navigate and read posts. I saw the OP thanking people for helping him in his success post referring to PMs sent so I thought that was how he got the contact info.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Sorry to have bothered you. My phone browser makes it difficult to follow this thread as it bounces me to random pages as I am trying to navigate and read posts. I saw the OP thanking people for helping him in his success post referring to PMs sent so I thought that was how he got the contact info.
Welcome to FT. I didn't know the phone browser had that issue.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Since he is having trouble navigating this thread would you be kind enough to list the post #s that will help him?
Old Oct 2, 2020, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you not have a laptop or a desktop, with phone your only device to access internet? Hard to believe given there are so much limitation phone apps have in navigating many sites, but ...

The OP's action taken post is a very long post, you may want to view it with a device other than from the phone, just sayin.

Since he is having trouble navigating this thread would you be kind enough to list the post #s that will help him?
I am not sure the post numbers would work the same on the phone app access because the default setting may not be the same as from a desktop, but below are the links to the KEY POSTS.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32681062-post83.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32690570-post100.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32706469-post104.html
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 4:07 pm

Thank you very much for the links! I just sent emails to the executives. Hopefully I will have a similar result as the OP.
strickerj likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Welcome to FT. I didn't know the phone browser had that issue.
Advertisement. It is an IB issue. Of course you would not know.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 9:56 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Like many others, I was offered $150 on Sapphire Reserve about 90 seconds into the call. The agent said it would post after a while (I forget, maybe six to eight weeks), but it posted after four days. That's the real point to this post.

Pertinent to a different thread, the agent cautioned me that the retention offer would not satisfy a required minimum payment, and I should be sure to make such minimum payment. (Even after the retention offer, there was a balance due. I pay the balance in full each month by auto-pay, which did take the correct amount, which was more than the minimum payment and resulted in a balance of zero.) Since I had received a large credit on another card with a balance due, I asked about that other card, and was assured that no minimum payment would be due. Why? I don't know, and the agent did not give an explanation that I understood. Maybe it was because the credit more than offset all the charges, leaving a credit on the account, but that seems to contradict the issue in the other thread. (I did follow some of the advice in the other thread and set up an alert to notify me if a payment was missed, and received no alert.)
Old Dec 3, 2020, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by serpens
Like many others, I was offered $150 on Sapphire Reserve about 90 seconds into the call. The agent said it would post after a while (I forget, maybe six to eight weeks), but it posted after four days. That's the real point to this post.

Pertinent to a different thread, the agent cautioned me that the retention offer would not satisfy a required minimum payment, and I should be sure to make such minimum payment. (Even after the retention offer, there was a balance due. I pay the balance in full each month by auto-pay, which did take the correct amount, which was more than the minimum payment and resulted in a balance of zero.) Since I had received a large credit on another card with a balance due, I asked about that other card, and was assured that no minimum payment would be due. Why? I don't know, and the agent did not give an explanation that I understood. Maybe it was because the credit more than offset all the charges, leaving a credit on the account, but that seems to contradict the issue in the other thread. (I did follow some of the advice in the other thread and set up an alert to notify me if a payment was missed, and received no alert.)
The Alert would NOT protect you if you keep the AutoPay in place. On one hand of the AutoPay feature, it would not consider you owe any money when the balance is NEGATIVE. On the other hand of the AutoPay feature when it comes to detect if account goes in default by checking if Minimum Balance is paid - that part seems never taking into account of the FACT that when the balance is NEGATIVE, AutoPay would not initiate any payment - yet, the algo does not seem to have that in place, still only looking at the minimum payment taken by AutoPay.

I were you I would suspend the autopay function until the credit balance is depleted. Personally and many of my friends, do NOT use AutoPay for any of their credit cards. Utility bills, yes. Credit Cards, no.

Payment is due before X days alert is good enough for me to not miss any payment, particularly the X is set as 10 days. My friends set it as 7 days, which probably is enough for most situations.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 12:05 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

The Alert would NOT protect you if you keep the AutoPay in place.
But the missed payment and the auto-pay are two different things, aren't they? If Chase expects a payment and doesn't get it, that's a missed payment, whether the payment would have come by auto-pay, bill-pay, check, or other means. It is true that I wouldn't find out about it until the payment had been missed, but to my mind that's a lot better than finding out about it a month later or when Chase closes the account.

I were you I would suspend the autopay function until the credit balance is depleted.
First, I'm glad you said that, because I had not considered future months, when there might be charges but still a net credit, like the discussion in the other thread. I was only looking at the current month.

But would I need to suspend auto-pay? If I simply pay in full manually before the due date, then auto-pay should draw nothing even if there really had been a balance due. In other words, why wouldn't I want belt and suspenders?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.