Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase closed my CSR. Why?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2020, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You need to call and ask to speak to a manager Just tell the front line rep the situation is complicated and probably only a manager can see the full details on the account that seemingly being closed in error.

This is not the first time Chase system algorithm went nuts. It has happened before, the last large scale of shutting accounts for no reason happened about 2 to 3 years ago when it went over zealous in flagging accounts. Many cardholders were successfully get their accounts reinstated, some even received formal apologies via a letter. Read many such cases in Chinese websites at that time.

Sending an SM is useless because you need a human who has much higher authority to intervene.
SPN Lifer, lsquare and prech like this.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
The advice is to call, not message. You need to interact with a live human being and, if the issue really is that you did not make a payment which was not due, that is fixable.

Just by way of example, is it possible that Chase transferred your credit balance to another deposit (checking) account or sent you a check for the credit balance, leaving you with a $0 balance followed by small charges which you then did not pay? It would be odd for Chase not to refund a credit balance after a billing cycle.
They would simply reduce the CL to match your spend pattern of last 6 to 12 months, but would not close the account because of no spend, unless it is due to inactivity for 12 or more months.

OP has a lot of canceled travel refunds going back to the account - it depends on how big the credit balance is - that could be an area the Algorithm went wrong - i.e. too frequent too large refunds from the vendors can be perceived being something fishy going on - but then this is the Pandemic and all people's travel plans were up in smoke. We have over $8K worth of travel of one single trip (cruise + post cruise land trip) booked with UR pts all being canceled by providers and all eventually refunded - had these were booked with the credit card, the card would see multiple vendors refunding the canceled services and the credit balance can go high.
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 10:38 am

That's kinda scary to get shut down even with Auto pay setup. I'm sure the majority of us have Auto pay. Doesn't make sense to pay when you have a negative balance. There's really nothing to pay when it's a negative balance. If it's a system glitch, Chase needs to fix it. Sucks for OP.
strickerj likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 11:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
This actually happened to me for another Chase card (Hyatt). Similar to OP, had >$5K spend / month on the card historically ... but that was reduced significantly due to the pandemic (<$1K / month).

Due to refunds from COVID-related cancellations, autopay ended up not being needed as credits satisfied my total charges. Unfortunately for me, this was something I didn't realize was a Chase issue and I wasn't keeping too close of a track of my balance / Chase notices as everything was automated - had no additional pulls/pushes from my bank account so assumed credits were OK.

Then in August my card started to get declined, checked my Chase app, and saw account closed.

After my account was closed, I dug into my Chase notices and saw the below note. Note: it wasn't true that only merchant credits were posted to this account (still had daily spend), but the large travel refunds more than accounted for food/coffees/etc. I tried reaching out to on the phone several times (managers, etc.) and via SM, but no avail - while some of the reps could empathise with the situation, it was an automated bank action and there was no way to undo the closure. Explained how it was due to COVID-19 and I still wanted to use card for daily purchases, longstanding history with good behavior w/ Chase, etc. ..... nada. Couldn't be undone.

Additionally, my annual fee was charged during this time frame and had to pay for the whole year, even though the account was closed 1-2 months afterwards. Reps couldn't help with this either. That was the most frustrating part to me.

SPN Lifer, mia, lsquare and 3 others like this.

Last edited by ComplexAnalysis; Sep 12, 2020 at 11:18 am
Old Sep 12, 2020, 11:32 am

It would be odd for Chase not to refund a credit balance after a billing cycle.
From my experience if you don't call or message, it's 6 months.
Dream of Flying likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 11:54 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by kb1992
Can CHASE close account if you don't make lot of charges during a pandemic????
Any issuer can close anyone's account for no reason, but this is about payments, not lack of spending. Credits (refunds) reduce your balance, but do not satisfy the minimum payment requirement. At this stage it doesn't matter if this makes sense to us, it is common practice, and it's not personal. This decision was made by an algorithm. See Chase's explanation in ComplexAnalysis's post.

The fact that you had autopay enabled should make it straightforward to have your account reinstated, but you need to get past the frontline agents because they lack the authority to reopen the account.

If a manager will not act, file a formal complaint here:
https://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/
Old Sep 12, 2020, 12:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by bbbb
How many months into this economic crisis is your "experience?"

Credit issuers are revoking and reducing CL's right and left when anything is out of kilter because it is hard to predict what is wrong. If anything is wrong.
lsquare likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by kb1992
I am totally lost here. I would like to move my $100K annual spent elsewhere and stay away from Chase. Any suggestions?
One thing I forget to mention - I applaud OP's attitude on this. I also criticize others at the same time.

FWIW - I incline to believe OP is not at fault here. But whatever done is done. Even OP is able to prove Chase was wrong closing the account, yet Chase will not re-open without a hard pull. So to me, the best remedy now is to try to get Chase prorate its AF and get refunded.

It is absolutely clear that OP has moved beyond the closure and is looking for somewhere else. It also sounds like that OP has done enough before coming here. So I applaud OP keeping his cool on this.

Right or wrong - Chase has absolute power on this. So there is no point "analyzing" OP's Chase activities.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 1:58 pm

Just by way of example, is it possible that Chase transferred your credit balance to another deposit (checking) account or sent you a check for the credit balance, leaving you with a $0 balance followed by small charges which you then did not pay? It would be odd for Chase not to refund a credit balance after a billing cycle.
hmm, did I mess up too?

i had a large statement credit during my March billing cycle.

March statement was
$300 in previous payment (ignore this)
$1k in purchases
$2k in credit
= -$1k in balance

I didn't use card until Late June (which shows up in my July statement).

so April/May/June statement was
prev statement balacne was -$1k
no purchases, no interest, no charges
new statement balance was -$1k

July, had $200 purchases, so statement balance was down to -$800

Finally Chase auto-refunded me that $800 in August statement (I didn't request,was automated)

I downloaded my physical March/April/May/June/July statements ( I do paperless & manual payment, not autopay. remember checking each month that min payment due = $0), downloaded statement says Minimum Payment due = $0
In August statement, the refund is listed under purchases...... cancels out the -$800, and shows new balance = $0

Last edited by paperwastage; Sep 12, 2020 at 2:04 pm
Old Sep 12, 2020, 2:24 pm

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
Call them, sending SM's which are getting answered with an algorithm isn't helping anything. You need to get actual eyeballs on the account in order to have any chance to keep it, even if only to liquidate the URs.

As far as wehre to move to, I would recommend AMEX, which specific card is dependent on where you spend generally is. I'm partial to the Gold Card, but that is just my opinion. I won't get another card with Citi after fighting for three months to keep my DoubleCash after I moved.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bbbb
No. It is not the case at present. Definitely not in our case of CSR that rec'd the travel refund.

In the past if you do not have any activity at all, the credit balance would be refunded after 2 billing cycles, Automatically. However if you have any charging activity / used up the credit balance even not all, the credit balance would stay in the account.

Now it is the 2nd billing cycle if there is still a credit balance even the first billing cycle after the credit you have some charges but not enough to use up the credit.

We got a check automatically generated and sent to us on the 2nd billing cycle after the credit was issued, totally out of the blue.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 9:29 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
I wish AMEX would cancel the corporate card my employer forces me to use. I haven't made a charge on it since late February and have a credit balance due to a canceled flight.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Arrow

Just got the 3rd response from Chase via SM:

Thank you for contacting Chase. We'll be glad to review your account for reinstatement. We regret to inform you that we are unable to reopen your account ending in XXXX. If you would like to submit a new credit application, please visit creditcards.chase.com.

So I am pretty much done with Chase. I could make a last effort by calling, but I am not losing sleep over this.

My immediate concern is over 1 million UR points accumulated over a decade. I am mainly United flyer and can transfer UR points to my United account. But I already have over 2 million United miles. Marriott points don't seem that valuable to me. I am tempted to transfer some to SQ KrisFlyer account, but who knows when I can use it as the whole world is shut down. Besides, KF account miles expire in 3 years after UR transfer.

Wise folks here: any suggestions? I need to do this soon before Chase wipes them out!

Or, I could apply for another Chase card to keep my UR points? I had CSP 4 years so that's off the table. Maybe Chase Freedom? Would a new Freedom card, if approved immediately, keep my UR points?

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Given current circumstances, I don’t see this as strange. I have a large credit balance on both my Amex Plat and Hilton Aspire due to things that never happened.
Exactly.

Originally Posted by Need

And OP, since you have only 1 Chase card with such big annual spent, what happened to all your UR points? You are not mad that you lost all those points?
I still have 1 million UR points and want to do something soon.

The advice is to call, not message. You need to interact with a live human being and, if the issue really is that you did not make a payment which was not due, that is fixable.

No. My account still shows negative balance (credit). Chase never sent me a check or transferred to another deposit account.

Originally Posted by Happy
You need to call and ask to speak to a manager Just tell the front line rep the situation is complicated and probably only a manager can see the full details on the account that seemingly being closed in error.

This is not the first time Chase system algorithm went nuts. It has happened before, the last large scale of shutting accounts for no reason happened about 2 to 3 years ago when it went over zealous in flagging accounts. Many cardholders were successfully get their accounts reinstated, some even received formal apologies via a letter. Read many such cases in Chinese websites at that time.

Sending an SM is useless because you need a human who has much higher authority to intervene.
I guess so. 3 messages went nowhere.

Originally Posted by Happy
OP has a lot of canceled travel refunds going back to the account - it depends on how big the credit balance is - that could be an area the Algorithm went wrong - i.e. too frequent too large refunds from the vendors can be perceived being something fishy going on - but then this is the Pandemic and all people's travel plans were up in smoke. We have over $8K worth of travel of one single trip (cruise + post cruise land trip) booked with UR pts all being canceled by providers and all eventually refunded - had these were booked with the credit card, the card would see multiple vendors refunding the canceled services and the credit balance can go high.
Actually all cancelled tickets are mileage ticket taxes. So the total amount is small, about $500.

The problem is, I have not charged card much. So $500 credit is enough to stop auto payments two billing circles.

Originally Posted by trikotret
That's kinda scary to get shut down even with Auto pay setup. I'm sure the majority of us have Auto pay. Doesn't make sense to pay when you have a negative balance. There's really nothing to pay when it's a negative balance. If it's a system glitch, Chase needs to fix it. Sucks for OP.
Is this a glitch? 3 Chase agents sent me PMs, but they still insisted closing my account.

Originally Posted by ComplexAnalysis
This actually happened to me for another Chase card (Hyatt). Similar to OP, had >$5K spend / month on the card historically ... but that was reduced significantly due to the pandemic (<$1K / month).

Due to refunds from COVID-related cancellations, autopay ended up not being needed as credits satisfied my total charges. Unfortunately for me, this was something I didn't realize was a Chase issue and I wasn't keeping too close of a track of my balance / Chase notices as everything was automated - had no additional pulls/pushes from my bank account so assumed credits were OK.

Then in August my card started to get declined, checked my Chase app, and saw account closed.

After my account was closed, I dug into my Chase notices and saw the below note. Note: it wasn't true that only merchant credits were posted to this account (still had daily spend), but the large travel refunds more than accounted for food/coffees/etc. I tried reaching out to on the phone several times (managers, etc.) and via SM, but no avail - while some of the reps could empathise with the situation, it was an automated bank action and there was no way to undo the closure. Explained how it was due to COVID-19 and I still wanted to use card for daily purchases, longstanding history with good behavior w/ Chase, etc. ..... nada. Couldn't be undone.

Additionally, my annual fee was charged during this time frame and had to pay for the whole year, even though the account was closed 1-2 months afterwards. Reps couldn't help with this either. That was the most frustrating part to me .
Hmm this happened to you too? How did you handle the UR points? Hope you don't lose them.

Originally Posted by mia
Any issuer can close anyone's account for no reason, but this is about payments, not lack of spending. Credits (refunds) reduce your balance, but do not satisfy the minimum payment requirement. At this stage it doesn't matter if this makes sense to us, it is common practice, and it's not personal. This decision was made by an algorithm. See Chase's explanation in ComplexAnalysis's post.

The fact that you had autopay enabled should make it straightforward to have your account reinstated, but you need to get past the frontline agents because they lack the authority to reopen the account.

If a manager will not act, file a formal complaint here:
https://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/
One poster above said he tried to call but the agent still refused to reopen his card.

Originally Posted by garykung
One thing I forget to mention - I applaud OP's attitude on this. I also criticize others at the same time.

FWIW - I incline to believe OP is not at fault here. But whatever done is done. Even OP is able to prove Chase was wrong closing the account, yet Chase will not re-open without a hard pull. So to me, the best remedy now is to try to get Chase prorate its AF and get refunded.

It is absolutely clear that OP has moved beyond the closure and is looking for somewhere else. It also sounds like that OP has done enough before coming here. So I applaud OP keeping his cool on this.

Right or wrong - Chase has absolute power on this. So there is no point "analyzing" OP's Chase activities.
Thank you. Thank you.

I am already looking to move forward. There are more important things in life than a credit card. As long as I find a way to transfer 1 million UR points, I'll be OK.

I could apply for another Chase card, but this puts very bad taste in my mouth. I am pretty sure that there are similar or better cards somewhere. In fact, Chase might opens up better opportunities for me by forcing me to look elsewhere.

Originally Posted by EAJuggalo
Call them, sending SM's which are getting answered with an algorithm isn't helping anything. You need to get actual eyeballs on the account in order to have any chance to keep it, even if only to liquidate the URs.

As far as where to move to, I would recommend AMEX, which specific card is dependent on where you spend generally is. I'm partial to the Gold Card, but that is just my opinion. I won't get another card with Citi after fighting for three months to keep my DoubleCash after I moved.
Thank you for the suggestion. AMEX Platinum sounds good but my spending is down 95%. Who knows when it will recover.

Now I am looking for some basic cards with no annual fee.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 9:44 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by garykung

That's for sure after losing 1 million UR points!

LAX
Old Sep 12, 2020, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by LAX
That's for sure after losing 1 million UR points!

LAX
How long can you still have access to UR points after Chase closes the account?

They closed my account few days ago.

UR points were still there yesterday.

If they took away 1 million UR points without warning, when I am not at fault, I'll consider all options to fight to get points back.

Last edited by kb1992; Sep 12, 2020 at 10:37 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.