Chase closed my CSR. Why?

Old Sep 15, 2020, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by physioprof
I've been following this thread & I'm still kind of confused about what exactly is the scenario.
OP's CSR was closed due to Chase's claim of non-payment. OP explicitly threw the towel and yet wanted the last shot.

OP's main question was not why Chase did this, but where else to go.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
The IRONY of this fiasco is, Had the poster not had AutoPay set up, he would NOT trigger the system flag of not paying his minimum balance because he has NO balance to pay due to the existing statement credit!
It is really really ironic as the whole purpose of someone setting up "AutoPay" is so that they don't have to worry about missing a payment! At least Chase finally figured out the reason.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 10:48 am

That is WHY I suggest setting up PAYMENT DUE ALERTS which would definitely NOT let you mess up even with a doz cards to tend to at any given month...

Besides, with MONEY software, you do NOT need that spreadsheet. It is a tremendous tool to help people manage their financial transactions of ANY KIND. The mere fact that Microsoft discontinued the product 10 years ago yet there is still a VERY ACTIVE USER FORUM on this product speaks for the product's functionality and usefulness. Personally the ONLY thing on my computer that I diligently back up every 7 to 10 days is MONEY. Everything else I can easily afford to lose should the computer crash, but I definitely would be in pain if I lost MONEY without a back up copy within current 30 days. It keeps track of every single financial transaction in our household - from banking to brokerage to lowly retailer gift card balances etc, at any given time, provided I keep my update entries on a timely basis. It works N times better than a spreadsheet, much better than its peer offerings (such as Quicken and Mint) at the time and still now.
Happy, though off topic, but I absolutely share your enthusiasm about Microsoft Money. I have been using it religiously since 1995 and tried a few times to move to Quicken or Mint but couldn't get same functionality and ease of use. Your post above and your previous post about MONEY shocked me as they were being written as if I am the person writing the posts. Thanks for the link for the MONEY forum. This makes me feel better about not being the only person using an obsolete software
Happy likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 11:11 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kb1992
But somehow we are still obligated to pay minimum balance? This is not what Chase has been advertising about AutoPay:

It’s easy to make sure your credit card is paid on time each month. Here’s how:

https://www.chase.com/digital/custom...set-up-autopay

With AutoPay, my card is paid every month. How can they still shut down my account when I did everything correctly according to Chase?

I rest my case.
How can they shut down your account? They're a private company, not a public service. As such, I fully support their ability to make decisions on what they deem to be best for their company.

Should they have shut down your account under these circumstances? IMO, most definitely not. This is exactly why a thinking human needs to be able to override computerized rulesets. It makes no sense whatsoever to shut down your account, either by the logic of having credits meeting or exceeding the debits or from a business standpoint of chasing away a long term high dollar customer. The fact they stand by this is a good reason to 1) call the number provided and speak to someone who can think and is empowered to do something or 2) just move the UR points to something you can use and tell Chase to shove it (and leave them a bad review everywhere you can).
Old Sep 16, 2020, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlexTheMan
Happy, though off topic, but I absolutely share your enthusiasm about Microsoft Money. I have been using it religiously since 1995 and tried a few times to move to Quicken or Mint but couldn't get same functionality and ease of use. Your post above and your previous post about MONEY shocked me as they were being written as if I am the person writing the posts. Thanks for the link for the MONEY forum. This makes me feel better about not being the only person using an obsolete software

A cyber handshake with fellow MONEY user!

Browse the MONEY forum in the Microsoft User Community, you will find there are many like-minded users literally all over the world, i.e. the smart people who care far more for functionality than if the product is still supported by the developer!
AlexTheMan likes this.

Last edited by Happy; Sep 16, 2020 at 12:01 pm
Old Sep 16, 2020, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by garykung
Citi is doing the same thing as Chase. So for now, AMEX is safer.
Citi closed three cards within past couple months - two personal and one business. I haven`t used them for a year, so, without a warning of closure (as Chase does by sending a letter if you want to keep this account open, use the card by such date, otherwise, it will be closed), Citi just closed them. Not what I am really upset, as those were cards with no so much value (but with high credit lines), so it sure did hurt my credit in terms of length of credit history and, possibly, debt ratio.

AmEx is the worst out of three nowadays IMO. Actually, until 2008, AmEx was the best, but then it went downhill with all bad practices and employees. Citi would be the best now, but I wish its network of partners was better. Chase was great maybe until 2016, but then no retention offers, no other offers made it less attractive. Although UR network is the best for me.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
I have successfully moved all UR points to my family member living in the same household. Now I have zero UR points in my account. This removes any urgency to reinstate my Sapphire card.

I'll write letters to every Chase VP after I get back from China at the end of October to tell them that

1) Chase advertises that customers never need to worry about missing a payment by setting up AutoPay, I presume this includes minimum payment.
2) I set up AutoPay so I don't need to worry missing payments. Chase's closing my account due to non-payment is contradicting from its advertising.
3) Chase customer service is crappy.

The IRONY of this fiasco is, Had the poster not had AutoPay set up, he would NOT trigger the system flag of not paying his minimum balance because he has NO balance to pay due to the existing statement credit!

How can a cardholder default the bank when the bank actually owes the cardholder money in the form of a credit balance on the account ?! Just by this reasoning, OP should have a very strong case to get his account reinstated.

The AutoPay failure is Chase own programming error. A case the Exec Office should be able to review and resolve. OP could call, and then follow up with a precise and concise, only fact listing, letter to the Exec Office to ask for a reinstation resolution.
This is exactly what happened.

Where can I find email addresses of Chase Executive Office or senior officials? I would be glad to send emails because postal letters will take forever from China.

Originally Posted by BelleCityFlyer
Your understanding of the situation is correct. When credits are added to your account after the monthly statement closes with a balance due, Chase still requires you to at least make the minimum payment shown in the most recently closed statement even when the credits are larger than the balance due shown on the monthly statement.

AutoPay is based on the running balance shown in your online account so it wouldn't deduct a payment if you have a negative running balance. However, the cardholder's obligation is to follow the monthly statement which would have shown that a payment was due. Now I'm sure that many people will argue that AutoPay should have been designed differently but that's the situation that has existed for some time. Consequently I always follow the monthly statement even though I only get online statements and its sometimes a hassle to open a PDF file. AutoPay for me is only a backup in case I'm unable to manually make a required payment.

Here's the relevant portion of the Sapphire Reserve Cardholder Agreement:
Well, Chase advertises if you have AutoPay, you never worry about missing a payment. When is minimum payment not a payment?

Originally Posted by jmastron
This is a pretty crappy trap that Chase has (hopefully unintentionally) set that while rare, many of us could fall for. Autopay does indeed reduce by the amount of any credits received after the statement close -- and, importantly, that’s still enough to avoid interest when you pay “in full”. I wouldn’t have known that was allowed (to reduce payment by post-close credits) until I saw them to it. For example:

This feels so like a bug in Chase’s system, or at least 2 groups of policymakers or enforcement programmers (autopay reduction and min payment no matter what) not being in sync, compounded by customer service staff forced into rigid responses and unable to correct for an obvious “weird” scenario. Especially since the OP's third statement had a negative balance and $0 min payment -- are they considering that to be the 3rd month of "no minimum payment"?
Right. How can Chase say you never worry about missing a payment if AutoPay is set up, yet you can still miss a "minimum payment" ?

Originally Posted by pallhedge
No, when Chase shuts down accounts, they also at times shut down other accounts that are associated. By combining points, you are associating their account with yours, so you could be putting their points, if any, at risk.

With all due respect, it's more than a suggestion. I urge you to call that number ASAP during EDT business hours. In my mind, it's your only hope, and your 30 day clock is ticking away.

If you're not willing to call them, or if that call leads to no resolution, I would throw in the towel and redeem the points for cash or transfer them all to your travel partner of choice. I personally wouldn't combine them onto a family member's card unless the family member had no points of their own to risk.
Transferring points to a family member, which is allowed by Chase rules, could lead to risk to my family member when there is zero wrong doing?

This is sooooo Un-American.

Even if someone commits a crime, you don't go after their family members.

Thanks for the advice, I'll contact Chase Executive Office. I have to wait a month when I get back from China. I did call Chase customer service and the agent asked me to write letters.

Originally Posted by Need
It is really really ironic as the whole purpose of someone setting up "AutoPay" is so that they don't have to worry about missing a payment! At least Chase finally figured out the reason.
Chase is engaging in deceptive business practice here.

Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
How can they shut down your account? They're a private company, not a public service. As such, I fully support their ability to make decisions on what they deem to be best for their company.

Should they have shut down your account under these circumstances? IMO, most definitely not. This is exactly why a thinking human needs to be able to override computerized rulesets. It makes no sense whatsoever to shut down your account, either by the logic of having credits meeting or exceeding the debits or from a business standpoint of chasing away a long term high dollar customer. The fact they stand by this is a good reason to 1) call the number provided and speak to someone who can think and is empowered to do something or 2) just move the UR points to something you can use and tell Chase to shove it (and leave them a bad review everywhere you can).
Agreed 100%.

We have 3 CSR in my family and we probably don't need that many. I only have one credit card now, so it might not be a bad thing that Chase is forcing me to look for another card.

I might give up on Chase, but I'll sure contact Chase senior officials to express my outrage and leave them bad reviews and bad publicity everywhere I can.
SPN Lifer and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...

Where can I find email addresses of Chase Executive Office or senior officials? I would be glad to send emails because postal letters will take forever from China.
https://www.elliott.org/company-cont...an-chase-bank/

has email addresses.

If you are really down to one credit card, I would apply for a card with another bank ASAP. What are you going to do if your remaining card gets shut down due to fraud or gets stolen?

Also, I’d be concerned that Chase reporting missing payments might impact your credit report and score.
GUWonder, kb1992 and JMorgana like this.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 8:52 pm

Thanks for the advice, I'll contact Chase Executive Office. I have to wait a month when I get back from China.
Don't bother. After 30 days, it's too late. It's a shame, given all the effort you've expended posting here, that there won't be a resolution to your issue.
LedgeT and krazykanuck like this.
Old Sep 17, 2020, 11:35 am
RNE

Originally Posted by easy_money
This is happening to a lot of people during this pandemic, mainly due to all the cancellations and refunds, thus creating negative balances.
My CSR too has had a small credit balance ($300 to 500) every month all summer due to the pay-yourself-back feature. Surely Chase won't penalize a cardholder for that?

RNE, asking worriedly.
Old Sep 17, 2020, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
How can a cardholder default the bank when the bank actually owes the cardholder money in the form of a credit balance on the account ?! Just by this reasoning, OP should have a very strong case to get his account reinstated.
Actually no. Everything you said makes perfect sense. However, there is no obligation that Chase must fix the mistake.

If you even go further, Chase may have broken its own agreement and even ECOA. The problem is what kind of injuries has suffered in term of this denial of credit? Other than any unused portion of the AF, really not that much. In OP is able to obtain another Sapphire Card if the application turns out approved, OP's case will be even weaker.

Call it bad CS or something else, it is a battle that is easy to win.
RNE likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually no. Everything you said makes perfect sense. However, there is no obligation that Chase must fix the mistake.

If you even go further, Chase may have broken its own agreement and even ECOA. The problem is what kind of injuries has suffered in term of this denial of credit? Other than any unused portion of the AF, really not that much. In OP is able to obtain another Sapphire Card if the application turns out approved, OP's case will be even weaker.

Call it bad CS or something else, it is a battle that is easy to win.
You know that very well the poster would not be able to get another Chase credit card or even a Chase bank account due to "previously unsatisfactory relationship" when his card is closed by adverse action. This is enough damaging for potential future inconvenience should the poster ever need Chase service one way or the other when and if circumstances make sense.

While the poster has decided he would move on and asked what would be the best alternative, it does not mean he should not get this matter corrected when he is clearly wronged. On top of that, this may alert Chase enough that its algorithm has some serious shortcoming that needs to be fixed - by that action, many others would not run afoul when similar situation happens to them in the future.

I am not sure why you seem to be the only poster in this thread that keeps posting negative views on the poster's plight, include discouraging other posters posting their comments in both assistance and sympathy. Really quite odd a position to take. It just seems very odd.
IndyHoosier and strickerj like this.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 7:10 am

Programs: American Express Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
You might want to get a mortgage from Chase in the future, or any number of other situations might arise. if you can find some way to get through to the executive office now I would do it.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You know that very well the poster would not be able to get another Chase credit card or even a Chase bank account due to "previously unsatisfactory relationship" when his card is closed by adverse action.
I don't know. Actually, I don't believe this is the case. Just because an account has been closed it does not mean the person is banned for life. In fact - I do believe that OP may be able to get his recent application approved.

Also - Chase is currently banned from using "previously unsatisfactory relationship" as an excuse to close accounts.

This is enough damaging for potential future inconvenience should the poster ever need Chase service one way or the other when and if circumstances make sense.
Don't say something that there is no solid evidence to support. FWIW - it is an account closure. Nothing else.

I am not sure why you seem to be the only poster in this thread that keeps posting negative views on the poster's plight, include discouraging other posters posting their comments in both assistance and sympathy. Really quite odd a position to take. It just seems very odd.
Actually, I do not hold a negative view. I am just being realistic.

Regardless right or wrong - at his very first post - OP has already indicated that he dropped "Chase" because of this. I simply don't see why everyone has to push it.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 7:58 pm

Programs: American Express Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
I don't know. Actually, I don't believe this is the case. Just because an account has been closed it does not mean the person is banned for life. In fact - I do believe that OP may be able to get his recent application approved.

Also - Chase is currently banned from using "previously unsatisfactory relationship" as an excuse to close accounts.

Don't say something that there is no solid evidence to support. FWIW - it is an account closure. Nothing else.

Actually, I do not hold a negative view. I am just being realistic.

Regardless right or wrong - at his very first post - OP has already indicated that he dropped "Chase" because of this. I simply don't see why everyone has to push it.
Chase is one of the biggest mortgage banks in the business. This could definitely impact him. It's more consequential than if AmEx did this.

Your speculation that he could be approved even now is actually the position for which there's no evidence. This is what appears to be an easily fixed problem with fairly major implications which requires one difficult to make phone call to resolve.

There are numerous ways to make the call from China.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.