Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase closed my CSR. Why?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2020, 10:16 pm

Programs: American Express Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
AmEx tends to be much better with customer service (except for Amex Travel). It's a decent alternative especially if you like business or first class flights. On hotels the redemption values aren't great though; Chase is by far the best for hotels due to the CSR 1.5x and their Hyatt partnership. There aren't really any other cards that compare to either of these however. Citi used to be competitive but they removed all travel insurance so while I might use them for welcome bonuses I would avoid them for much else. Capital One is to me pretty uninteresting; less good transfer partners, less good earning rates, less insurance. If you're into cash back there are a bunch of options but if you want outsized value I think it's Chase and Amex.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by kb1992
Wise folks here: any suggestions? I need to do this soon before Chase wipes them out!
Looks like you're a Marriott loyalist, but might want to consider Hyatt for at least some of your points. Only unique partner to Chase where I've got outsized value since Korean Air transfers ended.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 11:49 pm

Programs: American Express Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Originally Posted by FlyingChuck
Looks like you're a Marriott loyalist, but might want to consider Hyatt for at least some of your points. Only unique partner to Chase where I've got outsized value since Korean Air transfers ended.
Absolutely. Hyatt redemptions can really be spectacular.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 12:13 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
How long can you still have access to UR points after Chase closes the account?

They closed my account few days ago.

UR points were still there yesterday.

If they took away 1 million UR points without warning, when I am not at fault, I'll consider all options to fight to get points back.
I am not sure how much time one has to drain UR points after the account has been closed. I have always read T&Cs (not necessarily Chase's) that points/rewards require an account in good standing. I supposed banks might be required to give someone a grace period, especially if closure is not the individual's fault and without warning. I assumed you have already lost the points and was surprised how "calm" you are. I am glad you still have access to those points, but you probably shouldn't wait to move/redeem them unless there is a published policy that tells you how long you have after an account has been closed.

LAX
Old Sep 13, 2020, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Hilton honors Amex is free but with your existing inventory of points, maybe citi 2% cash back card or the AMZN Chase card or Costco citi visa are best for free cards.

mega bummer about paying the AF and having card cancelled 2 months later. Argh.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by LAX
That's for sure after losing 1 million UR points!
FWIW - there are people yelling lawsuits, CPFB, etc. But OP, at the beginning, simply asked where to move on.

Beside - OP has not lost anything yet.

I believe you will have 30 days after closure.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 5:33 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
One poster above said he tried to call but the agent still refused to reopen his card.
This tells you nothing about your chances for success, because the facts of your incident may be different, but if you do not speak directly with someone who has the personal authority to reinstate the account you are unlikely to succeed.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 5:35 am

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
Thank you for the suggestion. AMEX Platinum sounds good but my spending is down 95%. Who knows when it will recover.

Now I am looking for some basic cards with no annual fee.
I would consider the Everyday card then. Nothing flashy 2x MR on supermarkets, 1x on everything else. 20% bonus on all earn if you use your card 20x/month. It also puts you in a position to add the Platinum if your spend and travel come back to a level that supports the AF.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 5:57 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by garykung
FWIW - there are people yelling lawsuits, CPFB, etc.
If the facts are exactly as presented, account closed because Chase's automatic payment system failed to take a payment, Chase is looking at a material liability that needs to be disclosed to regulators and shareholders. This type of error would affect many customers.
Happy and LETTERBOY like this.

Last edited by mia; Sep 13, 2020 at 6:35 am
Old Sep 13, 2020, 6:53 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
I would throw all 1,000,000 points into Hyatt, move on the AMEX, and go on with your life. The only thing Chase has on AMEX from a transferable point perspective is Hyatt. 1,000,000 points should last you quite a decent while so you won’t miss Chase. Of course, you could also just take the $10,000.
SPN Lifer and strickerj like this.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 7:26 am

They closed my account few days ago.

UR points were still there yesterday.

If they took away 1 million UR points without warning, when I am not at fault, I'll consider all options to fight to get points back.
You have 30 days to use or lose your points unless you get reinstated. You will likely NOT be approved for any more Chase cards for years to come, so that route is futile. If I were you, I would contact Chase's executive office. They're the only ones that can get your reinstated at this point.
roberto99, SPN Lifer and Happy like this.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pallhedge
You have 30 days to use or lose your points unless you get reinstated. You will likely NOT be approved for any more Chase cards for years to come, so that route is futile. If I were you, I would contact Chase's executive office. They're the only ones that can get your reinstated at this point.
Probably a life time! From whatever DPs reported on the net in various shut down threads, Chase and BofA seem to NEVER FORGET. Citi on the other hand would refresh in about 2.5 to 3 years but Chase and BofA keep their grudge indefinitely, even it is their own faults. Though the system block indeed could be overturned by higher up order in the case of Chase. No recollection about reading BofA success.

During the massive erroneous shut down a few years ago, the Exec Office was the route that many card holders got their positive responses / formal letter of apology when they wrote, detailed the case and asked an explanation on why their accounts were suddenly be shut down. (Some of those people had Chase banking products where the balances often are quite large - a place to put their college tuitions / living costs for the full semester or the year, fwiw).

I would take the route to write because if the situation is as stated, this is a serious programing error by Chase with the customers being adversely affected thru no fault of their own. If not corrected, the customer will have a blackmark in his profile at Chase FOREVER! Personally I would take whatever action needed to get this thing rectified instead of must "move on" as the "easy way out". The consequence of not resolving this could come back to haunt the OP in the future. No question in my mind this would eventually happen, just dont know when it might. By then it would be way way way too late to get anything done due to everything would have been archived and impossible to trace any factual history.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by Happy; Sep 13, 2020 at 8:34 am
Old Sep 13, 2020, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trikotret
That's kinda scary to get shut down even with Auto pay setup. I'm sure the majority of us have Auto pay. Doesn't make sense to pay when you have a negative balance. There's really nothing to pay when it's a negative balance. If it's a system glitch, Chase needs to fix it. Sucks for OP.
I understand MANY like AutoPay but most do not realize when AutoPay went wrong, it could go VERY WRONG. We have Zero AutoPay set up for any of our accounts - from credit cards to utilities - after suffered from a bad consequence Decades ago, (long before blogs and such), I swore never use AutoPay again.

What people should do is to set up ALERT in all your card accounts, to get an ALERT reminder on the date that there are X days before the payment is due. I set ours to 10 days - though by the time I got the Alerts I usually have already set up payments on the cards sites - my habit is to set up payments as soon as statements are closed, but the payments usually are a week before due date, so a future payment scheduled.

AutoPay can create a FALSE sense of Safety and that when it fails, the fall out is always UGLY.

I may take this opp to suggest that Microsoft MONEY is an excellent software that resides in your computer. The software is so good that even Microsoft has sunset it in 2010, the user forum in Microsoft User Community is still very active as of today - that is a solid proof on how much the existing users feel the software is superior even though Microsoft stopped its support a decade ago!

You can use it to keep track of every financial aspect of your household. The only draw back is because this is a discontinued product, you can no longer download financial institutions information to the software once Microsoft released the Sunset version (free for all versus a paid software with annual update), the download ability was disabled. Therefore the entries are manual. How good the data base is, of course depending on how diligent the user is keeping it updated, manually. It also has ability to generate all sorts of reports, that is a very neat feature if I need to look back a particular spend category 2 years ago, for example, I can find that thru the right report.

Over the years I had to go ask questions at the above forum and each time I was able to get the solutions. It is a very friendly, well maintained user forum. People help each other out on whatever issues a user has encountered.

For those who want to find out more -

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/...me?forum=money

And a May 2019 write up on how to get it work on Window 10.

https://windowsreport.com/microsoft-money-windows-10-2/

Last edited by Happy; Sep 13, 2020 at 9:09 am
Old Sep 13, 2020, 9:15 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Usually with Chase, if they take an adverse action, you get a letter within a week, with a number to call. Call that number, and you usually get to some kind of credit analyst that can look over the entire history of the account and the Chase relationship. They may have to pull a credit report, but I am guessing if you actually talk to someone in that department and explain what happened, your account could be restated
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by garykung
FWIW - there are people yelling lawsuits, CPFB, etc. But OP, at the beginning, simply asked where to move on.

Beside - OP has not lost anything yet.

I believe you will have 30 days after closure.
I might simply transfer 1 million UR points to my wife's CSR account.

Is transferring to my son's CSR account permitted?

Originally Posted by mia
This tells you nothing about your chances for success, because the facts of your incident may be different, but if you do not speak directly with someone who has the personal authority to reinstate the account you are unlikely to succeed.
Will try that route.

By the way, I tried to apply for Freedom Unlimited just to see how "unforgiving" Chase is.

I got a response that they need more time to review -- the applicant has 832 credit score, 250K household income, only one credit card in wallet, never missed a payment for 15-20 years. Zero debt.

How interesting for such a basic card.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.