Search

Chase closed my CSR. Why?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2020, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Thumbs down Chase closed my CSR. Why?

Just found out that Chase closed my 4-year Sapphire Reserve.

They said the reason was that I didn't make any payments in last 2 billing circles. Due to COVID-19, my spend has been drastically reduced. Besides, I canceled few air tickets which resulted in credits. Thus the balance was negative and of course there was no payment.

I only have one chase card and two credit cards total. I have not applied for a new card for several years. My household income exceeds $250K. My credit score is over 830. There has never been a late payment for past 10 years.

I am totally lost here. I would like to move my $100K annual spent elsewhere and stay away from Chase. Any suggestions?
Old Sep 11, 2020, 10:14 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Of course, I'd call them to ask what is going on? If they cancelled you for no payments it's probably an automated thing given your income, credit score and spending history.
SPN Lifer, RNE, lsquare and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 11:44 pm

I would call them and see what's up. Doesn't make sense to send a payment for a credit balance. Maybe they didn't like your ticket cancellations. If they won't reopen card, just move on. I'm are Amex would love your 100k spending.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 12:33 am

Amex Platinum
Old Sep 12, 2020, 2:02 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by kb1992
They said the reason was that I didn't make any payments in last 2 billing circles.
Did the statement(s) show a required payment?
Old Sep 12, 2020, 3:49 am

Programs: DL Gold, B6 Mosaic, WoH Explorist, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, CET 7*, MLIFE Plat, Cosmo Gold
This is happening to a lot of people during this pandemic, mainly due to all the cancellations and refunds, thus creating negative balances. Most likely got flagged by system and not reviewed by an actual person. Your statement should've indicated that you had to make a minimum payment. Yes, it's silly and makes no sense to make a minimum payment on a negative balance. But it's a known problem/issue.

Just give them a call and it should get fixed without issues. For future reference, you can either make the minimum payment, or contact the bank to either cut you a check for the negative balance or have them deposit it into your account.
seawolf likes this.

Last edited by easy_money; Sep 12, 2020 at 3:58 am
Old Sep 12, 2020, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by zack14
Amex Platinum
Citi is doing the same thing as Chase. So for now, AMEX is safer.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
That is exactly what I would check - if your credits from the refund are bigger than the minimum payment, the site would show NO minimum payment is required at this time.

In fact when the credits fully cover the outstanding bal on prev statement, the site would show NO outstanding balance from previous statement. Besides,unless you have current charges, Chase system would not even allow you to pay from its own site except being pushed from another bank.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 7:58 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
You have 100k annual spend, but somehow ended up with a credit balance at the end on 2 separate months?
Old Sep 12, 2020, 8:05 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat
Originally Posted by bchandler02
You have 100k annual spend, but somehow ended up with a credit balance at the end on 2 separate months?
Could be that the spending has decreased of late due to the Covid.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Arrow

Thanks for all the replies.

Originally Posted by trikotret
I would call them and see what's up. Doesn't make sense to send a payment for a credit balance. Maybe they didn't like your ticket cancellations. If they won't reopen card, just move on. I'm are Amex would love your 100k spending.

My ticket cancellations are of small value, totaling $500 or less.

Originally Posted by mia
I have auto pay set up. If there is credit, no payment is required.

Originally Posted by easy_money
This is happening to a lot of people during this pandemic, mainly due to all the cancellations and refunds, thus creating negative balances. Most likely got flagged by system and not reviewed by an actual person. Your statement should've indicated that you had to make a minimum payment. Yes, it's silly and makes no sense to make a minimum payment on a negative balance. But it's a known problem/issue.

Just give them a call and it should get fixed without issues. For future reference, you can either make the minimum payment, or contact the bank to either cut you a check for the negative balance or have them deposit it into your account.
I sent 3 messages to Chase and got the same robot answer: your account is closed due to bank policy, or you didn't make payments for 2 billing circles when there is credit in my account.

Originally Posted by garykung
Citi is doing the same thing as Chase. So for now, AMEX is safer.
I like Citi but it seems that I'll try AMEX instead.

Originally Posted by Happy
That is exactly what I would check - if your credits from the refund are bigger than the minimum payment, the site would show NO minimum payment is required at this time.

In fact when the credits fully cover the outstanding bal on prev statement, the site would show NO outstanding balance from previous statement. Besides,unless you have current charges, Chase system would not even allow you to pay from its own site except being pushed from another bank.
Exactly. I have auto pay set up and Chase site shows NO outstanding balance (negative). Credits fully cover outstanding balance.

Due to COVID-19, all my business travel has been suspended. I have maybe $300 charges last month. My cancelled tickets resulted in $500 credit, all from tax/fees from mileage tickets cancellations.

THE WHOLE THING just doesn't make any sense.

Can CHASE close account if you don't make lot of charges during a pandemic????

MAYBE, just maybe, Chase quietly canceled my account to hope that I would forfeit over one million UR points accumulated over a decade?
Old Sep 12, 2020, 8:53 am

I think you should call them, instead of assuming the reason for cancellation. It could be something else that triggered "bank policy".
prech likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Given current circumstances, I don’t see this as strange. I have a large credit balance on both my Amex Plat and Hilton Aspire due to things that never happened.
SPN Lifer, Happy, James91 and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 9:05 am

I have a -$3000+ credit on my CSR since March 2020 because I cancelled a cruise. My CSR spending was reduced to just restaurants, grocery and hardware store (the last 2 for pay yourself back so do not affect monthly balance). I didn't have to make any payment for 5 months. Then last month, they just deposit the negative balance directly back to my check account. They didn't cancel my CSR. I do spend about $300 to $500 a month even without travel.

And OP, since you have only 1 Chase card with such big annual spent, what happened to all your UR points? You are not mad that you lost all those points?
SPN Lifer, lsquare and IndyHoosier like this.

Last edited by Need; Sep 12, 2020 at 9:10 am
Old Sep 12, 2020, 9:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The advice is to call, not message. You need to interact with a live human being and, if the issue really is that you did not make a payment which was not due, that is fixable.

Just by way of example, is it possible that Chase transferred your credit balance to another deposit (checking) account or sent you a check for the credit balance, leaving you with a $0 balance followed by small charges which you then did not pay? It would be odd for Chase not to refund a credit balance after a billing cycle.
prech likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.