Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase BUSINESS Cards (April 2020 - 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 29, 2020, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
In April 2020 Chase criteria for approving BUSINESS card applications have become more stringent. All Chase INK products are business cards. Chase also issues co-branded business cards for United Airlines and Southwest Airlines.

Chase business cards are subject to the 5/24 restriction. Approval of a Chase business application has not increased the N/24 count, but there are a few reports in the 4th quarter of 2022 that this may have changed, review THIS thread. There will always be some uncertainty, because 5/24 is an unpublished rule which Chase can modify without notice or explanation.

For general information about applying for Chase cards, including explanation of the unpublished 5/24 rule, please review the Wikipost of the PERSONAL card thread: HERE

Anyone can apply for a business card as a sole proprietor. If your business has a registered company name, which Chase can verify, you may use the name to apply. Otherwise, use your legal First and Last name as the business name. Do not add any extra words, do not use a made up name. If Chase cannot verify the name the application will fail.

Useful Chase telephone numbers
(888) 269-8690 - Business Credit Card Application Status Line, automated
(800) 453-9719 – Business Credit Card Reconsideration Line with live rep
(800) 453-9719 – Credit Reallocation Office (Business cards)
(888) 622-7547 – Executive Offices

Twitter: @ChaseSupport

Note: In the past, automated telephone status reports stating that Chase would notify you in 2 weeks often resulted in an approval, whereas the "7-10 days" telephone recording often indicated imminent denial. In 2016, this pattern became increasingly unpredictable, with many applicants receiving approval despite an earlier "7-10 days" automated telephone message. As a result, automated telephone responses should not be regarded as reliable indicators of an application's likely outcome.

?? Chase business credit cards [must / may] use [the same / a different] user name [as / from] personal cards. The same [applies / does not apply] to the e-mail address used. ??

Print Wikipost

Applying for Chase BUSINESS Cards (April 2020 - 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2022, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by Schnit
I dont see any benefit of doing that, especially now that Chase lets you automatically realign credit during the application process, so no need to call.

During the pandemic Chase tightened their approvals, I would think its better to have credit available to move should this happen again, rather than having lowered your limit and now they have lowered the amount they are willing to give.
Concur. Clearly (at least) 2 different theories, personally I advocate the latter:
- lower credit limits on existing open accounts and allow credit limits on recently closed accounts to disappear in the hope of further instant approval(s).
- maintain credit limits on existing open accounts and consolidate credit limits on recently closed accounts (to remaining open accounts) in the hope of easy recon call(s) (offering to reallocate credit limit).

It’s theorized that it takes 30 “Chase days” (kinda like dog years but different) for a closed account credit limit to no longer be recognized by their system but I don’t think we know for certain. Makes application timing for those who advocate reduction a bit more complicated. And with the former theory one has one less bargaining chip, which might be one’s only bargaining chip.

Latter theory allows one to preemptively eliminate one of the major reasons for a decline. It’s also possible that a successful preemptive recon call offering to reallocate credit limit(s) will overcome other issues with the application, which might be less concerning to Chase in view of an otherwise satisfactory (after CL reallocation) application.

IME*, within 5 minutes of a “pending review” application, I’ve made 8 to 12 successful recon calls offering to reallocate CL. Uncertain if I had reduced CLs I would have been approved. Recon calls evidently allow for some wiggle room and judgement calls by the representative, that’s why it’s a live human being and not a computer. There are a few reports of one of the issuers (? Chase) asking about (non-human involved) CL reallocation during the online application process, be interesting to see how that affects overall approval rate.

* As a young physician or medical student, when to stop listening: When the intern says “in my experience” (interns by definition don’t have much experience) and when the Attending says “I think” (unjustified but playful age based insult of the Attending) .

Last edited by Dr Jabadski; Jul 28, 2022 at 11:21 am Reason: actually no editing, clicked wrong tab when trying to quote
Old Jul 26, 2022, 4:45 pm

I dont see any benefit of doing that, especially now that Chase lets you automatically realign credit during the application process, so no need to call.

During the pandemic Chase tightened their approvals, I would think its better to have credit available to move should this happen again, rather than having lowered your limit and now they have lowered the amount they are willing to give.
I don't want an application process, I want instant approval. I have no need for large credit limits and always lower. I believe Chase will allow total credit close to half your income.
beltway and RNE like this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
Concur. Clearly (at least) 2 different theories, personally I advocate the latter:
- lower credit limits on existing open accounts and allow credit limits on recently closed accounts to disappear in the hope of further instant approval(s).
- maintain credit limits on existing open accounts and consolidate credit limits on recently closed accounts (to remaining open accounts) in the hope of easy recon call(s) (offering to reallocate credit limit).

It’s theorized that it takes 30 “Chase days” (kinda like dog years but different) for a closed account credit limit to no longer be recognized by their system but I don’t think we know for certain. Makes application timing for those who advocate reduction a bit more complicated. And with the former theory one has one less bargaining chip, which might be one’s only bargaining chip.

Latter theory allows one to preemptively eliminate one of the major reasons for a decline. It’s also possible that a successful preemptive recon call offering to reallocate credit limit(s) will overcome other issues with the application, which might be less concerning to Chase in view of an otherwise satisfactory (after CL reallocation) application.

IME*, within 5 minutes of a “pending review” application, I’ve made 8 to 12 successful recon calls offering to reallocate CL. Uncertain if I had reduced CLs I would have been approved. Recon calls evidently allow for some wiggle room and judgement calls by the representative, that’s why it’s a live human being and not a computer. There are a few reports of one of the issuers (? Chase) asking about (non-human involved) CL reallocation during the online application process, be interesting to see how that affects overall approval rate.

* As a young physician or medical student, when to stop listening: When the intern says “in my experience” (interns by definition don’t have much experience) and when the Attending says “I think” (unjustified but playful age based insult of the Attending) .
what is better is based on ones circumstances. For me, I get instant approvals 90% of the time, if not more. Very few recon calls, that's what I'm looking for.
Dr Jabadski likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat

+1000 I have never had a problem re-allocating credit among personal cards. This can even be done same day so it is almost as good as the "instant" approval. Where it gets difficult (or impossible) is to re-allocate personal<->business.

I always re-allocate my CL to other cards before I close a card as I have no confidence that Chase will expand my CL when I submit the next app. Sometimes they surprise me, sometimes they don't. Most of my cards have $20k+ so it's no trouble to shift $5k x 2 when opening a new account.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by theplayer
I don't want an application process, I want instant approval. I have no need for large credit limits and always lower. I believe Chase will allow total credit close to half your income.
But now that chase allows reallocation as part of the application process, you can reallocate and still get instant approval
Old Jul 27, 2022, 10:14 am

But now that chase allows reallocation as part of the application process, you can reallocate and still get instant approval
That must be rather recent or inconsistently available. Of the 7 Chase apps DW & I submitted since the start of 2021, the one that went to pending (& approval two days later) offered no such reallocation option. That was in December 2021.

The other six were approved instantly, perhaps because I always trim the applicant's Chase CL to create headroom before applying. Maybe that's no longer necessary & doing it is mere superstition, but as long as it costs me literally nothing I intend to keep doing it.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by beltway
That must be rather recent or inconsistently available. Of the 7 Chase apps DW & I submitted since the start of 2021, the one that went to pending (& approval two days later) offered no such reallocation option. That was in December 2021.

The other six were approved instantly, perhaps because I always trim the applicant's Chase CL to create headroom before applying. Maybe that's no longer necessary & doing it is mere superstition, but as long as it costs me literally nothing I intend to keep doing it.
Looks like it went live in March judging by google. But its only helpful if that is the only reason for the reconsideration.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
This was not offered on our 2 recent Chase apps. this month.
beltway and hurnik like this.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by philemer
This was not offered on our 2 recent Chase apps. this month.
Was total available credit the only reason for the auto decline?
Old Jul 28, 2022, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Was total available credit the only reason for the auto decline?
Are these offers only if you are auto declined? I guess I misread. Sorry, that's why it didn't make sense. We were auto-approved.
I'll blame my ignorance on the Merlot.

Last edited by philemer; Jul 28, 2022 at 9:29 am
Old Jul 28, 2022, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by philemer
Are these offers only if you are auto declined? I guess I misread. Sorry, that's why it didn't make sense. We were auto-approved.
I'll blame my ignorance on the Merlot.
Yes. You used to get a rejection that stated the reason was that you have too much credit with Chase. You then would have to call and have them reallocate, now the allocation is part of the application process if that is the issue.
philemer and PETERPNYC like this.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 11:40 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
… It’s also possible that a successful preemptive recon call offering to reallocate credit limit(s) will overcome other issues with the application, which might be less concerning to Chase in view of an otherwise satisfactory (after CL reallocation) application. …
Looks like it went live in March judging by google. But its only helpful if that is the only reason for the reconsideration.
One of the challenges is that we (as applicants) have no way of knowing “the only reason” or if there is an “only reason” (vice multiple reasons).

A preemptive call, prior to receiving the letter specifying the reason(s), by definition occurs when one does not know the reason. Even the letter specifying the reason(s), may not specify ALL of the reasons. We aren't privy to what goes on behind the scenes at Chase, it could be that there are secondary relatively insignificant reasons for reviewing or declining a credit card application which are negated or disappear once a primary reason is eliminated.

My last two Chase Recon calls, 14 and 19 months ago had very different durations (~5 and ~45 minutes) yet both achieved the exact same outcome (approval after credit limit reallocation). I don’t know if the additional 40 minutes was necessary to review other insignificant reasons which were OBE* (upon approval).

(* (OBE) Overcome by events or (OTBE) Overtaken By Events, is a term of military origin used when a situation changes so rapidly that previously proposed courses of action are no longer relevant.)
Old Jul 28, 2022, 11:46 am

One of the challenges is that we (as applicants) have no way of knowing “the only reason” or if there is an “only reason” (vice multiple reasons).

A preemptive call, prior to receiving the letter specifying the reason(s), by definition occurs when one does not know the reason. Even the letter specifying the reason(s), may not specify ALL of the reasons. We aren't privy to what goes on behind the scenes at Chase, it could be that there are secondary relatively insignificant reasons for reviewing or declining a credit card application which are negated or disappear once a primary reason is eliminated.

My last two Chase Recon calls, 14 and 19 months ago had very different durations (~5 and ~45 minutes) yet both achieved the exact same outcome (approval after credit limit reallocation). I don’t know if the additional 40 minutes was necessary to review other insignificant reasons which were OBE* (upon approval).

(* (OBE) Overcome by events or (OTBE) Overtaken By Events, is a term of military origin used when a situation changes so rapidly that previously proposed courses of action are no longer relevant.)
My last recon, last month, was clear the reason why once I called. I opened 3 business cards earlier this year for a new business and they wanted to understand the different cards. I explained the exact reason for each one, they said it seemed reasonable, and would approve with reallocation. No way to know if they would have approved it without the credit to reallocate
Dr Jabadski likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 2:22 pm

Re-applying for another INK card

I have all three INK cards. The Cash and Unlimited were approved 28 and 32 months ago, respectively. The Ink Preferred was approved about 18 months ago.

I am below the Chase 5/24 rule.

Are there any other factors that I need to consider before canceling the Cash and Unlimited and reapplying to get the SUB again?

Thanks.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by iowa guy
I have all three INK cards. The Cash and Unlimited were approved 28 and 32 months ago, respectively. The Ink Preferred was approved about 18 months ago.

I am below the Chase 5/24 rule.

Are there any other factors that I need to consider before canceling the Cash and Unlimited and reapplying to get the SUB again?

Thanks.
Keep your new applications at least 30 days apart.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.