Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Ultimate Rewards - Which airline/hotel should I transfer points to?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is for general debate/discussion/advice on strategies for which travel partners you should transfer UR points to. For example,

I have about xx,000 UR points and want to use the points for international J/F award to/from REGION1 to REGION2 [in X time frame/for a trip of X weeks].
If your desired endpoints are covered by one of the existing master threads, please review that thread (and post there instead as needed).

For discussion focused on the mechanics of points transfer—qualifying Chase cards, eligible partners, and typical speed of transfer—see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...es-2017-a.html
Print Wikipost

Ultimate Rewards - Which airline/hotel should I transfer points to?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2023, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Originally Posted by beltway
Finally, UR transfers to AC are reportedly quite slow, on the order of 72-96 hours. It’s true that UR transfers to UA are not reliably instant—there’s an entire thread devoted to the topic—but IME smallish transfers of 20K UR or less tend to go through immediately. Given that AC does not AFAIK allows holds on award bookings, this means you really need to have the points already in your Aeroplan account when searching for awards.
Fwiw, my first UR transfer to Aeroplan took 24-48 hours IIRC, but every one since then has been instantaneous. Having read of some delays, I deliberately made my first transfer a small test transfer of 1000 pts, and by the time I had an award flight ready to book, the transfer wheels were greased so to speak. My experience with United has been similar except that the first (larger) transfer took about a week. So I'm not sure that this is actually a differentiating factor between UA and AP. YMMV of course.
Happy likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by ZenFlyer
Fwiw, my first UR transfer to Aeroplan took 24-48 hours IIRC, but every one since then has been instantaneous. Having read of some delays, I deliberately made my first transfer a small test transfer of 1000 pts, and by the time I had an award flight ready to book, the transfer wheels were greased so to speak. My experience with United has been similar except that the first (larger) transfer took about a week. So I'm not sure that this is actually a differentiating factor between UA and AP. YMMV of course.
Interesting. I’ve quoted this post over in Ultimate Rewards - Airline and Hotel Transfer Partners, Rules, Timelines, (2017 on), where the wiki suggests longer AC delays, and asked for more data points.
ZenFlyer likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
@beltway perhaps timely to this dicussion, Chase is offering a 20% transfer bonus to Aeroplan until 7/31/2023

https://loyaltylobby.com/2023/06/15/...-july-31-2023/
ZenFlyer likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
@beltway perhaps timely to this dicussion, Chase is offering a 20% transfer bonus to Aeroplan until 7/31/2023

https://loyaltylobby.com/2023/06/15/...-july-31-2023/
I saw & am psyched.
notquiteaff and ZenFlyer like this.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ZenFlyer
My experiences as well. I always "test" the water by only transfer 1K on an initial transfer. Been using Aeroplan since the days when miniRTW was still redeemable. Our AMEX membership reward points were reserved for transferring to Aeroplan... Did a MIA-LIS-VCE//VCE-IST-SIN-PER//PER-SIN-HKG//HKG-TPE-IAH-FLL RTW in 2019. The booking process wasn't the easiest and the phone hold time was horrendous but it all worked out - the anticlimax was the IAH-FLL leg was on UA Coach - the only coach on the whole itinerary. At that time one had to choose partners carefully to avoid the hefty surcharge. Aeroplan since then eliminated the surcharge while adding $29 partner booking fee, and the 5K miles stopover feature. To me this is a very reasonable trade off because now you can book LH and the like without incur an arm and a leg surcharge.

Last year when the 30% bonus was offered in 2 short weeks we were on a Transatlantic cruise without internet access... Sigh. Been hoping for the same bonus to return this year. 20% is not as great as 30% but I will take it.

I also suspect Aeroplan would not devalue in near future given that they are new partner to Chase and really try to get a bigger market share in the lucrative US FFP cobrand cards business,
notquiteaff and ZenFlyer like this.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
20% is not as great as 30% but I will take it.
If you have the Chase co-brand card, you get 10% on transfers thru 12/31, so 30% is within reach.
GUWonder and ZenFlyer like this.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beltway
If you have the Chase co-brand card, you get 10% on transfers thru 12/31, so 30% is within reach.
I know but I dont have the Aeroplan card because I dont like their initial sign up bonus in the form of 50K certs. They have since then changed it to the more conventional points - but since there is no immediately need to use Aeroplan / have enough UR/MR to transfer if needed, plus there are better Chase cards such as Ink Unlimited, to get at the time, I chose to pass the Aeroplan card offer.

The math would work like that 1.2 x 1.1 = 1.32, IF the 10% is based on the final amount then it would be slightly better than 30%. Or simply a 1.2 + 1.1 = 1.3, exactly 30%.

It also probably means you need to own Aeroplan card at the time you transfer, and at 50K per transfer.

I have an orphan 110K in my Aeroplan account, the result of Xed 2020 redemption. Aeroplan was very proactively to extend all accounts expiration dates twice during the Pandemic period. I did a Chase/Aeroplan survey last May so my account is good till Dec this year. I will just transfer enough to be enough to book 2 one-way Transatlantic awards for the time being,

Aeroplan is probably the only program I do not mind to make a speculative transfer currently, fwiw.
beltway likes this.

Last edited by Happy; Jun 15, 2023 at 6:12 pm
Old Jun 15, 2023, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Happy
Aeroplan is probably the only program I do not mind to make a speculative transfer currently, fwiw.
I have enough points in Amex MR (and a smaller pile in UR) that I am considering a speculative transfer as it would not preclude me from doing other transfers if an opportunity arises. And it might motivate me to learn about the ins and outs of Aeroplan.
beltway and OrangeRange like this.
Old Sep 5, 2023, 12:49 pm

Using UR transfer partners CLT - CUN - CLT in April 2024?

I'm new to the Avios to AA va BA redepmtion and am looking for a little guidance. I am attempting to book CLT to CUN for family trip in April. I have plenty of options for flights to CUN, but coming back to CLT (or any other domestic airport), there seems to be nothing available from CUN in the April 5-8 timeframe. I have found flights available a week before and weeks after, but consistently nothing that week. Is this normal (I know it's spring break, so a popular travel week), but the prices seem to be similar in the weeks before and after - so demand may be relatively similar? Any other tips?

TIA
Old Sep 5, 2023, 1:03 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by cidcock
I'm new to the Avios to AA va BA redepmtion and am looking for a little guidance. I am attempting to book CLT to CUN for family trip in April. I have plenty of options for flights to CUN, but coming back to CLT (or any other domestic airport), there seems to be nothing available from CUN in the April 5-8 timeframe. I have found flights available a week before and weeks after, but consistently nothing that week. Is this normal (I know it's spring break, so a popular travel week), but the prices seem to be similar in the weeks before and after - so demand may be relatively similar? Any other tips?

TIA
If you can fly the 4th or the 9th, there are flights available. Or you can do "business class" (domestic F) on the 8th.
Old Sep 5, 2023, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
OP: AA is currently asking for a large number of AAdvantage miles for award seats on that route on your dates. AA award seats are only available for redemption by partner programs when AA is asking a relatively low number of miles. While anything is possible, I would not be too optimistic about that happening for your preferred dates of travel. You can check AA redemption rates periodically on aa.com or the AA app (no AAdvantage account or login required). I would not expect to see Avios availability unless and until AA redemption rates fell to something like 10-15K.

Do you have/can you acquire some AAdvantage miles in the event that you won't be able to redeem Avios for the return?
Old Sep 5, 2023, 1:12 pm

I appreciate the insight. I am loaded down with UR now as I find those the easiest to obtain; but am open to acquiring some AA miles. Alternatively, was looking at booking roundtrip from MCO (hitting Universal either before or after the trip), but those seem hard to come by also.

I am sure it's a popular travel week, but hate to keep the kids out of school on 4/8.
Old Sep 5, 2023, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I appreciate the insight. I am loaded down with UR now as I find those the easiest to obtain; but am open to acquiring some AA miles. Alternatively, was looking at booking roundtrip from MCO (hitting Universal either before or after the trip), but those seem hard to come by also.

I am sure it's a popular travel week, but hate to keep the kids out of school on 4/8.
Since you have lots of UR, have you priced the return trip with UA miles? With Flying Blue miles (for travel on DL)? With Southwest miles?
Old Sep 5, 2023, 1:33 pm

I have not, I was just using google flights and BA; but I will do that now. Thanks for the tip!

Last edited by cidcock; Sep 5, 2023 at 1:47 pm
Old Sep 5, 2023, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have not, I was just using google flights and BA; but I will do that now. Thanks for the tip!
You're welcome.

Here's one more suggestion: You could fly CLT-CUN with Avios, and then CUN-MCO on the 5th or earlier -- either for cash or some kind of miles. For MCO-CLT after your Disney visit, a one-day, one-way car rental is a possibility, if you don't mind the 8-hour (without stops) drive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.