Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Use UR points USA-Japan [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2017, 1:00 am
Original Poster

Use UR points USA-Japan [Consolidated]

What is the best way to book travel on ANA with ultimate rewards points?
Old Mar 21, 2017, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
UR > UA > NH award booking with UA
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:38 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
United is probably the best choice, but ANA flights can also be booked through Singapore Airlines and Virgin Atlantic.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SQ charges YQ while UA does not.

No idea on VS but my bet is VS charges YQ too.

Last edited by Happy; Mar 21, 2017 at 1:15 pm Reason: Thanks to mia to point out the mix up of VS and VX.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Also, just keep in mind that NH availability through UA tends to drop off pretty quickly about 4 months before departure. Just be sure to book early and be flexible. BR and OZ awards tend to stick around longer.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Happy
SQ charges YQ while UA does not.
In several days, SQ will no longer charge YQ on award.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by garykung
SQ will not charge YQ for awards on SQ metal

but *A awards (aka redeeming SQ miles onto UA/NH) can still have YQ (if operating airline imposes YQ)

Last edited by paperwastage; Mar 22, 2017 at 8:56 am
Old Mar 22, 2017, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garykung
Originally Posted by paperwastage
SQ will not charge YQ for awards on SQ metal

but *A awards (aka redeeming SQ miles onto UA/NH) can still have YQ (if operating airline imposes YQ)
Thank you for pointing it out. I knew I was not mistaken about SQ but hadn't had the time to look up the details on that. Since the OP asked about travel on ANA, which imposes YQ, hence I pointed out SQ would charge YQ.

While SQ no longer charges YQ on its metal, it also eliminates the online booking discount. So Net Net, it is actually worse on the limited international routes SQ flies, assuming those are the routes that most flyers here are interested in.

In fact I think SQ sent out an email to that effect a week or so ago but I deleted it already.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 3:32 pm

UR -> Virgin Atlantic

I did Chase UR to Virgin Atlantic and booked ANA F round trip ORD-HND for 120k. I used United site to find availability and then called Virgin to book it. Total was the 120k points + $86 in taxes/fees.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 8:49 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Virgin Atlantic is the cheaper way to do it from a miles standpoint, but you have to deal with the Virgin Atlantic phone agents.

United works, but the cost can be 2x what Virgin is.

Neil
Old Mar 31, 2017, 2:37 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by Sab1227
I did Chase UR to Virgin Atlantic and booked ANA F round trip ORD-HND for 120k. I used United site to find availability and then called Virgin to book it. Total was the 120k points + $86 in taxes/fees.
Good job! Excellent value for your UR points!
Old Mar 31, 2017, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by Sab1227
I get the united/ANA connection via star alliance but how does virgin fit into that equation?

I guess a better question is why use virgin as the partner airline to redeem through?

Last edited by gumercindo; Mar 31, 2017 at 7:54 pm
Old Mar 31, 2017, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by gumercindo
I get the united/ANA connection via star alliance but how does virgin fit into that equation?

I guess a better question is why use virgin as the partner airline to redeem through?
It appears from the discussion above that Virgin Atlantic charges fewer miles than United does for the exact same redemption on ANA -- at least on certain routes. (See Post # 10.)
Old Apr 1, 2017, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gumercindo

Virgin Atlantic costs A LOT LESS miles but charges YQ.

The YQ amount depends on routes. Apparently the specific ANA route costs 50% of the miles with Virgin and the YQ is reasonable.

With alliances and partner airlines and the myriad of transferrability from flexible currencies, there are many many ways to redeem miles for a particular route. Some are much cheaper than the others. It is truly "Not all Miles are Created Equal". It is up to the consumer to figure out which way would be the most advantageous in a certain situation.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 11:09 am

Makes sense, thx. Is there a wiki/link out there that goes into partner alliances redemptions? Who the partners are and what redemptions are like would be great pieces of info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.