Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA->HKG to which airline should I transfer the miles? [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2014, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Recently signed up CSP and got 50k bonus + accumulated miles now about 85K available. Planning to travel to HKG during Spring-break. Which airlines should I transfer the points to? Usually I take CX but Asiamiles is not partner with UR. Or Should I just order tix using Chase program (20%+ awarded)?
Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 6:47 pm

UR can be transferred to British Airways, and BA can book award flights on Cathay.

However, British Airways may only be able to see saver level awards on Cathay, so you are advised to create a BA account and make sure there is an award you want before you transfer the points over. (The points transfer almost instantly.)

(It may be difficult to find an award seat to Hong Kong during Spring Break. I don't know.)
Old Feb 13, 2014, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Thank you!
Old Feb 13, 2014, 4:03 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, UAmileage+,SkyMiles,Avios
Register with BA first and search if the date you want to fly is available. IMO, transfer to UA and use star alliance may still be a good choice even they increase the required miles to 80K, and star is much easier and way more seat available, but only if you don't mind change plane, sit at the airport for few hours, fly Air China(if eva,ANA, Asiana, Singapore, even Thai & UA not available), not having a direct flight like CX.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:44 am

Best plan to get 2 round-trip HKG-SFO tickets from mid-December to end-of-Dec?

Hi all,

My plan is to use points/miles (or with some cash, if points turn out to be a poor use at this travel time) to get 2 round-trip HKG-SFO economy tickets. The time is departing mid December (~Dec 18), and returning end of the month (~Jan 1).

Here's my hard-won points...:

Chase Ultimate Rewards ~ 110k pts
Citi ThankYou ~ 50k pts

What's your suggestion and what would you do?

United prices this at ~$1300 per ticket. Is it a good idea to use points for this trans-pacific trip?

What's traditionally been the best way of using points to get HKG-SFO tickets?

Is it better to save them for expensive domestic U.S. trips (thinking about SFO-SEA-HNL-SFO, as well as hotel expenses!)?

Last edited by ConcreteVitamin; Aug 27, 2015 at 12:54 am
Old Aug 27, 2015, 1:01 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Transfer the points to United, log in to United, book two economy class ticket on the noted dates for 80,000 miles per ticket.

I value airline miles @ 2.2 cents per miles so the value of the miles is ~$3500. Cash price of the ticket is ~$2600. The value of the miles earned is ~$300. And so no the two economy tickets HKG-SFO is not the best value of the miles.

The points have a shelf life so yes use the points for the trip.

Personally I cannot imagine you would ever be able to find the noted award travel via HNL as you are competing for award seats with individuals with a very high level of expertise in booking award travel.

The question does no relate to Chase UR or United. Please do post the question in the correct forum.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 2:18 pm
rev

110k UA won't be enough for two econ tickets between Asia and the US, you'd need 140k. If you wanted to do this you may be better transferring both UR and TYP points to an airline they both can transfer to - aka Singapore Air. Their award chart has HKG-US West Coast as 30k one way, plus there should be a discount for booking online.

Generally, flights between HKG-SFO can get very cheap when they go on sale. I've seen prices from various US airports fly out in the low $500s in the last few months, and though I'm sure it's different from HKG-SFO, I would think sales can be had there too. Even with some flexibility and a quick search, I see flights as low as the mid $700s from there (this is dependent if you are 100% loyal to United or not). You're flying at a very expensive time for Hong Kong, almost exactly when its the most expensive (http://www.hopper.com/flights/from-HKG/to-SFO/guide).

This is a gamble though; since nobody really knows when prices may drop or rise. Also factor in availability of award tickets maybe be low on flights around this time depending on the airline you choose. Do what you feel is best with the info you have. view with a room makes a good points about not holding on to points too long - they are not investments.

Depending on your flexibility, I would hold out and pay with cash, then use my points elsewhere for better value since $1300 trip from HKG sounds very steep. However, if you aren't too flexible outside that timeframe, I would say go for it. Just one man's opinion though.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Iirc sq has is for 60k rt in coach with 15% discount if book online. There will be some yq but if there is availability (a big if around holidays) i'd book via sq at least one way.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 7:39 pm

I highly doubt you could get saver level award seat during holiday season. I entered the date you mentioned on united.com and the cheapest I've found is $1700 round trip. If you are flexible on your date, I would suggest move your dates. As other poster has said, you could easily get $500-600 round trip.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Best plan to get 2 round-trip HKG-SFO tickets from mid-December to end-of-Dec?

You are screwed regardless.

December 15 - January 15 is peak travel season. Airlines will only release a limited number of award inventory as they won't have difficulties filling up the seats, even overbooking is severe.

If you can't maneuver outside this window for travel and you plan your booking in less than 6 months, then buying the tickets will be your best bet. Award seats may be available in the future. But it is a gamble that you will most likely to lose.

Beside - you don't have enough points for 2 tickets anyway. Even combined (which is impossible in the reality), you only have enough for off-peak only.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 11:29 am

Newbie - JFK to CMB/HKG

Hello - I'm new to the travel points and credit card programs. So far I've accumulated about over 300,000 ultimate reward points. I'm planning a family trip with my husband and daughters in August. Would like to know from the experienced folks on how best I can use these points to redeem for airplane tickets. We would like to visit Hong Kong and Sri Lanka. Thanks for the assistance.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Moonlight22 Welcome to FT

- What research have you done yourself on airline ffp's that could get the trip you want?
- What ffp's are you a member of now? How many ff miles/points?
- Many(most?) ffp's now do not allow stopovers on awards. So you will/may need 2 or more awards.
- Look here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...mes-rules.html

Awards assistance tools
Use at your own risk. These may not be up to date. (These are not recommendations)
Award flights are never guaranteed. You need to be flexible with date and route.
Frequent flyer miles/points are not equal to or burn. They are not 1 to 1
If a multi segment award check the rules/cost carefully. With some ffp’s it can be 2 or more awards or cost more ff miles than a direct flight.
Some awards/airlines/routes can have cash surcharges, in addition to real taxes.
-AwardAce: Compare Award Redemptions Across Airlines In Seconds --> http://www.awardace.com/
-Economical Excursionist's Tools to compare Frequent Flyer Mile Redemptions --> http://www.flyermiler.com/
-http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ast-miles.html --> http://www.awardhacker.com/

For example JFK-HKG return in economy is 80,000 ff miles with United Plus ffp
You are unlikely to get 4 award tickets on the same flight.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
There are two ways you can use the UR points.
#1 is the easiest but generally least valuable use of the points by purchasing tickets via the Chase Travel Portal. The rate is a fixed conversion of points to dollar value that is deducted from your purchase price.
#2 is generally the better value but of course requires a lot of effort. UR has a list of airline & hotel partners for transfer of those points. Each program has it's own conversion rate from UR and redemption rate for travel.

That said, you're compounding the topic by trying to travel to popular destinations (at least HKG) for 3 people during a high peak travel time & starting months late. In general award tickets open up ~330 days before travel date. Your travel plans are possible but are going to need a lot of time to plan.

You'll want to look at what airlines fly to an each destination and then how you could possibly book each via an transferring the UR points to a participating program.

It'll probably be easier to look at award availability for JFK-CMB or HKG & CMB or HKG-JFK and then purchase the flight from CMB-HKG on your own.

Qatar has been having some really good sales on travel to Asia lately and it may be cheaper to purchase 3 tickets and use the points towards your accommodations.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
...Qatar has been having some really good sales on travel to Asia lately and it may be cheaper to purchase 3 tickets and use the points towards your accommodations.
I think there is 4 people --> "my husband and daughters"
The best you may get is 2 awards and then purchase 2 with cash, which will earn ff miles.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Moonlight22
Hello - I'm new to the travel points and credit card programs. So far I've accumulated about over 300,000 ultimate reward points. I'm planning a family trip with my husband and daughters in August. Would like to know from the experienced folks on how best I can use these points to redeem for airplane tickets. We would like to visit Hong Kong and Sri Lanka. Thanks for the assistance.
As this question is specific to the use of Chase Ultimate Rewards points, we'll move this question over to the Chase UR forum for expert assistance there.

jackal
Moderator, Information Desk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.