Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

UR points for USA to/from Europe [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2015, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Seeking Suggestions for using my UR to get to Italy? I'm in the Midwest and would like to avoid economy if possible-thanks!!
Old Sep 14, 2015, 5:22 pm
Formerly known as jlars77

I'm finding the UR program to be relatively limited for premium cabin redemption on int'l travel, particularly considering the UA and BA devaluations. I think I'm going to burn all my UR miles on Hyatt stays.

Outside of UA, I would take a look at Korean SKYPASS and Skyteam partners for travel to Europe. Redemptions used to be as low as 80,000 miles RT for J to Europe but I have not looked into the program for awhile and the forum here on FT seems pretty light on info.

Originally Posted by Familyof5
Seeking Suggestions for using my UR to get to Italy? I'm in the Midwest and would like to avoid economy if possible-thanks!!
Old Sep 18, 2015, 3:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Familyof5
You could do Avios, which would likely involve a connecting flight in London. You could do Virgin Atlantic to London, and then book a flight using Avios from London to Italy.

But the best option to Italy is Emirates, JFK to MXP, via Alaska Miles. Only way to get Alaska Miles is through Alaska Airlines or Starwood.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 6:11 pm

UR points for USA to Europe [Consolidated]

Hi All,

I'm looking to take my father on a Europe trip as well he has only been to Germany and is still in good enough shape to hang out and have some fun. We have family in Stuttgart but other than that, anything goes.

165k miles to burn but I could easily add 15-25 if needed. I'm a complete amature when it comes to open jaw / long layovers. So please help.

Flying out of either BWI or IAD or possibly EWR.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

You can easily search award availability at united.com.

What, exactly, do you want to know? Questions about booking complex award itineraries with UA miles probably belong in the FT/UA forum, not here.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 8:04 am

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
I assume you're asking about open-jaws and long layovers?

On a round trip award, United allows:
  • 1 stopover - defined as a layover of > 24 hours. This can be as long as you want, even months, provided you conclude your itinerary within 1 year.
  • 2 open jaws - this is particularly helpful for Europe as you can easily take trains between places. An open jaw allows you to fly into one city and out of another. There's no advantage to using an open jaw on the US side, even though United allows it, unless it's to make availability work.
  • any layover you have can be up to 24 hours
Old Jan 23, 2016, 3:26 pm

UR points to Europe

My son would like to get from Boston to Berlin with a stopover in London for a few days in March and returning out of Barcelona. I am going to look into this more later but seems I can transfer to BAAvios or take United but lousy stop times etc.. Any idea how this could be done the more efficient with the least amount of points?
Old Jan 23, 2016, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"Any idea how this could be done the more efficient with the least amount of points?"

Unfortunately, the most efficient will not be the cheapest. When you redeem BA Avios for TATL flights on AA, BA, or IB, there will be hefty cash surcharges assessed.

Consider BOS-DUB on EI, connecting to DUB-LON (any airport) on BA (you will have to call the BAEC Service Center to book this); then LON-TXL as a BAEC "Reward Flight Saver."

For the return from BCN, call BAEC and ask about availability for BCN-DUB-BOS on EI.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would also price a BOS-LON//BCN-BOS "open-jaw" cash ticket, as it might be reasonably priced for travel in March. You could still use BA Avios for the LON-TXL leg.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 3:15 pm

Guv- thanks for the information. EI is the best connection out of Barcelona but I can't find any awards seats open. He might just have to rearrange his itinerary to work out better. Thanks again.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gogiantsfan11
Guv- thanks for the information. EI is the best connection out of Barcelona but I can't find any awards seats open. He might just have to rearrange his itinerary to work out better. Thanks again.
How did you check EI availability? And if the problem is just the BCN-DUB leg, you might price a cash ticket on Ryanair for that flight. (Be sure to include the cost of all of Ryanair's add-ons, and allow extra time -- maybe even an overnight in DUB -- to guard against the risk of IRROPS on Ryanair's part.)
Old Jan 24, 2016, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976

How did you check EI availability? And if the problem is just the BCN-DUB leg, you might price a cash ticket on Ryanair for that flight. (Be sure to include the cost of all of Ryanair's add-ons, and allow extra time -- maybe even an overnight in DUB -- to guard against the risk of IRROPS on Ryanair's part.)
Yes, I am looking at all possibilities... including mixing some points and miles
. I read an article where if Qantas showed availability then EI had it. So, I quickly sign up for a Qantas FF# and was able to search for award tickets.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"I read an article where if Qantas showed availability then EI had it."

I would not assume that to be the case. It's been reported on FT that EI award availability for BAEC members differs from what is available to other programs. So what is or is not available at qantas.com or united.com might not match what is available to BAEC members. You must call BAEC to be sure.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 11:12 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
EI rarely makes intra European award tickets available but cash purchaser is quite cheap. So book EI for the TA part and buy the BCN/DUB leg.
Old May 1, 2016, 2:49 pm

Cheapest Points Routing from Europe (Germany) to DC Area?

Hey All,

I'm just starting to redeem some points with Chase (maybe amex depending on how things play out) and I'm wondering where/how to get the best value per point when flying from Germany to DC. My local airports are CGN, DUS, or FRA, and I'd love to fly into IAD, or DCA. Any suggestions? Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

Business would be great of course, but push come to shove, economy would work too.

Cheers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.