Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Ultimate Rewards - Which airline/hotel should I transfer points to?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is for general debate/discussion/advice on strategies for which travel partners you should transfer UR points to. For example,

I have about xx,000 UR points and want to use the points for international J/F award to/from REGION1 to REGION2 [in X time frame/for a trip of X weeks].
If your desired endpoints are covered by one of the existing master threads, please review that thread (and post there instead as needed).

For discussion focused on the mechanics of points transferqualifying Chase cards, eligible partners, and typical speed of transfersee https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...es-2017-a.html
Print Wikipost

Ultimate Rewards - Which airline/hotel should I transfer points to?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2023, 2:53 pm

If you don't care about airlines you only option left is hotels. You are commiting to never transferring to Marriott or Hilton or IHG, which could be comparable value depending on transfer bonus if offered.

Would you downgrade your preferred card once you transfer? The code savings needs to be considered as well
Old Sep 13, 2023, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Schnit
If you don't care about airlines you only option left is hotels. You are commiting to never transferring to Marriott or Hilton or IHG, which could be comparable value depending on transfer bonus if offered.

Would you downgrade your preferred card once you transfer? The code savings needs to be considered as well
Please define "code savings"
Thx
Old Sep 13, 2023, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by philemer
Please define "code savings"
Thx
Sorry typo. Cost savings.

I don't know how often you open cards etc. If you don't think you'll need transfer bonus for a while you may be better off downgrading, all depends on your habits and spend
Old Sep 14, 2023, 7:43 am

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
Personally, I love Hyatt. However, I find Hyatt foot print to be limited and many times I pay cash for the rooms instead of points because cash/point is less than 1.25 cent. Plus frequently, while rooms are available for cash, they are not available for points. Unless you are canceling your card, it's best to keep UR points as UR currency. Once in a while I find a decent award deal on BA for flying AA domestic or on UA. We have Sapphire Reserve, there are times booking with UR points consumes less points than booking as UA award tickets.

Besides, usually FT will be all lit up when a partnership ends. UR and Hyatt partnership is very much loved. You should have plenty of warning.
Need likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2023, 10:18 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
If by chance you’re a (snow) skier, it’s a no brainer to transfer to Hyatt. Hyatt has several properties at popular ski resorts including Vail, Park City and Keystone. 200K is enough for 6-8 nights at Grand Hyatt Vail in the middle of ski season, easily worth $700-$1200 per night or $0.03-0.04 per point OR 10-12 nights at Hyatt Place Park City during ski season worth ~$300-$400 per night.

(FWIW, same is almost true for Hilton at Whistler, Breckenridge, Park City and Vail. “Almost” because Hilton redemptions just never seem to be as valuable (points per $) as Hyatt awards.)

Last edited by Dr Jabadski; Sep 16, 2023 at 12:07 pm Reason: typo correction
Old Sep 14, 2023, 11:34 am

I find transferring to Hyatt to be the best use of my Chase points. However I only transfer as I need them, the transfer is almost instantaneous. I see no reason to transfer them all now, may as well keep all your possibilities open. With all types of points there is a devaluation over time so it probably a good idea to use them when you have them, not to store them into the future. I wish I would follow my own advice on that, I have a lot of accumulated points that I should have used.
strickerj likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2023, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Silver,Hilton Honors Gold
I get maximum bang for the buck by transferring Chase points to Hyatt. Even with the "subsidization" on the Sapphire Reserve card with all hotel bookings through their hotel portal Booking.com I still do much better off with the transfer to Hyatt. Just yesterday I was checking for a trip to Amman Jordan in March with stay at the Hyatt Regency a regular room was just 8000 points, club floor 12000 and premium suite for just 16,000 points. You just can't beat that.
Old Sep 14, 2023, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by manku
I have a bunch of UR (about 200K), have just the standard Sapphire card. I just used Hyatt rewards on a trip to Europe with great success...got way more than .01/point...probably close to 3 cents when all was said and done.

Is there any reason not to transfer them to my Hyatt plan now? Should the transfer option disappear, I'd be pretty bummed. And if companies do eliminate the option, do they do so without warning and giving us a chance?

I don't really care about burning miles for business airfare...while I've enjoyed myself up front, it really doesn't make that much difference to me. So transferring to airlines isn't a great option.

Thanks!
How soon would you expect to use 200K Hyatt points? At the moment, Hyatt points are far more valuable than IHG or Marriott points. But no one knows when (or if) there will be the next devaluation of the Hyatt program (or any other frequent-guest or frequent-flyer program).

While anything is possible, I would not expect Chase to end transfers to Hyatt overnight, with no notice whatsoever.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2023, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
The whole benefit of the Chase UR ecosystem is not having to commit your points to a specific program until you are ready to redeem.

Unless there is a transfer bonus, making a speculative transfer to any specific program can leave you with orphan miles and it also removes the flexibility to redeem them elsewhere if something else arises (e.g., transfer to Hyatt and then suddenly LH F is available for your dates on UA or AC and you no longer have UR to transfer for the booking -- yes you haven't wanted to use for airlines in the past but the point is you lose that option completely if you commit them over to Hyatt).

Given the longstanding ties between Hyatt and Chase (think co-branded card), no reason to think that option will disappear. Of course if you have a redemption in mind to make after you transfer, that's a different story, but for hypotheticals you are better off keeping the flexibility of UR.
Old Sep 16, 2023, 6:37 am

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Let me address some of your questions:

- Using Avios for Transatlantic flights: poor value on AA/BA due to excessive cash copays; can be OK to use Avios on Iberia (but IB doesn't fly to CLT)
- Using Avios for flights on AA out of CLT: OK to excellent value; best on nonstop itineraries.
- Will AA stop allowing the use of Avios under any circumstance? Very unlikely; the more likely downsides are BA devaluing by raising the Avios needed for redemptions and/or AA reducing the amount of award space that they release to partners like BA.

Speculatively transferring to BA enough Avios to cover your planned Mexico trip next summer is probably not a bad idea; even if you don't use them then you should have plenty of opportunities to use them for some flights out of CLT. I would definitely not speculatively transfer to BA on the hope that you will use those Avios to fly to Europe next summer - there are much better ways to get to Europe using UR.

As an aside, here are the best uses of Avios (IMHO):
- Nonstop flights in the Western Hemisphere on AA or Alaska
- Nonstop flights in Australia on Qantas
- Nonstop flights in SE Asia on Malaysia or Cathay
- Nonstop flights in Europe on BA (Reward Flight Saver)
- Nonstop flights on Iberia, either transatlantic or within Europe (transfer your Avios to IB and book from there)
- Nonstop flights on Aer Lingus, either transatlantic or within Europe
Old Sep 16, 2023, 11:51 am

Thank you so much for the thorough response! I'm just getting my feet under me and am always afraid to commit too many points on something that may not be great value.

I am going to check out Aeir Lingus and Ibera. As I said before, we aren't set on a location - just know we'd like to go somewhere in Europe.

I was thrilled that I just found a flight for our family of 4 for my 10 year old's birthday to NYC on AA thru BA, as it was the same points to fly direct from CAE (which is actually where I am located). The domestic travel for BA (AA) has some great options, so i may transfer some to cover a trip to CUN and possibly another trip next year.

Is the transfer bonus for Avios unusual?
Old Sep 16, 2023, 12:07 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by cidcock
Is the transfer bonus for Avios unusual?
Historically Ultimate Rewards did not offer many Transfer bonuses, but by this time last year the pattern had started to change and this thread was created:

Latest Chase transfer bonuses

Avios tends to run one Transfer bonus per year with each partner card issuer.
Old Sep 18, 2023, 1:55 pm

I'm just looking into the "Reward Flight Saver" option on BA for our potential Europe trip. It may be useful for LHR to AMS or CDG, but for some reason I don't see it showing up on my serach. I found this on TPG -
you must have earned at least 1 Avios in the 12 months before booking in order to take advantage of Reward Flight Saver.

I don't currently have a way (that I am aware of) in earning Avios as I have just transferred UR over, is there a way to earn without opening a BA card?
Old Sep 18, 2023, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by cidcock
I'm just looking into the "Reward Flight Saver" option on BA for our potential Europe trip. It may be useful for LHR to AMS or CDG, but for some reason I don't see it showing up on my serach. I found this on TPG -
you must have earned at least 1 Avios in the 12 months before booking in order to take advantage of Reward Flight Saver.

I don't currently have a way (that I am aware of) in earning Avios as I have just transferred UR over, is there a way to earn without opening a BA card?
If you just converted UR points to Avios, that will count as "earning" for RFS purposes. Recheck a day or two after the transfer actually shows up in your BAEC account.

Other ways for you to earn BAEC Avios include taking surveys

https://www.rewardsforthoughts.com/rewards

and shopping online

https://www.shopping.ba.com/us
Old Sep 18, 2023, 2:46 pm

Thanks! I see the Reward Flight Saver on there, they are just a bit higher points than I expected. LHR to CDG for instance is 9250 avios, but the same flight is only $73 cash...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.