Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Ultimate Rewards - Which airline/hotel should I transfer points to?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is for general debate/discussion/advice on strategies for which travel partners you should transfer UR points to. For example,

I have about xx,000 UR points and want to use the points for international J/F award to/from REGION1 to REGION2 [in X time frame/for a trip of X weeks].
If your desired endpoints are covered by one of the existing master threads, please review that thread (and post there instead as needed).

For discussion focused on the mechanics of points transfer—qualifying Chase cards, eligible partners, and typical speed of transfer—see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...es-2017-a.html
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2017, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Best UR transfer partner for my situation

Hi all, with all the changes that have been happening with programs I just wanted to get an opinion on the best program to transfer chase URs into if I had to empty my account before I had a redemption lined up. My trips are usually international and I prefer to fly in premium cabin, F is my first choice but J will suffice if necessary. To date I mainly use my Chase URs for Hyatt stays and typically get a bit over 2 cents back per point. The reason I do this is because for most trips I am typically using my Amex MRs to redeem flights or Alaska miles. I think if I had to suddenly dump my chase URs in to one program I'd probably want to put it into one where I can get the most bang for my buck out of airline redemptions. For destinations I would like to return to China at some point, I'm considering South america (colombia or argentina) and returning to continental europe is always a possibility (France or further east as far as eastern europe, ukraine etc). I have used krisflyer in the past but the point redemptions seem quite high in comparison to some other programs. I hear good things about korean skypass and United.
Old May 29, 2017, 2:38 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Red259
...prefer to fly in premium cabin, F is my first choice but J will suffice...most trips I am typically using my Amex MRs to redeem flights or Alaska miles......
How many passengers?

If the number of points you have is small (not enough for one/two intercontinental business class roundtrip), I would transfer to one of the four airline programs that also accept transfers from American Express: AF, BA, SQ, VS. (Three of these also accept transfers from Citi ThankYou Rewards.)

If the number of points is enough to pay for a complete trip, I would focus on the airlines that are exclusive to Chase: KE, UA. Make sure you understand the limitations on using KE miles for passengers other than yourself, and of course be aware of each partner's expiration policy.
Old May 29, 2017, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Red259
Hi all, with all the changes that have been happening with programs I just wanted to get an opinion on the best program to transfer chase URs into if I had to empty my account before I had a redemption lined up.....
Changes will never stop--mostly devaluations. You say "if I had to empty.." Why would you have to? Are u closing down an eligible card? I'll never empty mine completely. It's worth the AF to have an emergency stash for future trips. I'll probably use 200K just on lodging (condos and nice hotels) for my next two trips. I wouldn't fret the devaluations. Nothing you can do about it. Burn 'em and have fun! But save some for the unexpected trip.
Old May 30, 2017, 9:39 am

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
It sounds like you may be anticipating that Chase may shut your card(s) down. If that is the case, my suggestion would be to move quickly and transfer into partners that you cannot earn miles or points through your other cards.
Old May 30, 2017, 10:50 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

I would dump the points to Korean Air since they have good redemption to Asia even in F.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 4:19 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
I have about 86,000 UR points that I need to transfer out because I want to cancel the card. KE was always my go to airline since they always have F space available. But now I don’t know what the best airline partner is. Anyone have suggestions?

I want to use the points for international J/F award to/from Asia and Europe to the States.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 8:26 am

This thread is for general debate/discussion/advice on strategies for which travel partners you should transfer UR points to. For example,

I have about xx,000 UR points and want to use the points for international J/F award to/from REGION1 to REGION2 [in X time frame/for a trip of X weeks].
If your desired endpoints are covered by one of the existing master threads,please review that thread (and post there instead as needed).

For discussion focused on the mechanics of points transfer—qualifying Chase cards, eligible partners, and typical speed of transfer—see Ultimate Rewards - Airline and Hotel Transfer Partners, Rules, Timelines, (2017 on)

Last edited by beltway; Feb 25, 2019 at 9:15 am
Old Feb 24, 2019, 2:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Wow, I'm surprised there isn't a long thread on this already.

I'm looking for J TATL awards out of SFO for this fall (late August, early Sept). Looked at UA, which is the only airline with which I have status and they really don't have many J saver awards for that time period, other than really long travel times (20-30 hours or more) through Lot. I'm hopeful more awards will open up later in the calendar.

I checked VS and one possibility is to get an SFO-CDG round trip award on DL metal for 145k miles and about $150 in charges. Fewer miles than DL redemptions though.

Then I checked AF, which I'd been disregarding as the bloggers are really down on that program, particularly TPG. It won't get me to VRN, my ultimate destination, but they have awards to VCE, which is an hour train ride away. Not ideal but I think other airlines may not have better availability direct to VRN since it's a smaller market. They have some awards as low as 57k each way. Well too good to be true as there are charges of $250 each way and the TATL segment is on either an A388 without their lie-flat seats in J or a KLM 772 which is does have lie-flats in a 2-2-2 config.

So I could get one of those (one thing of note, if I fly into VIE, the lowest-price award goes up to 72k plus fees) AF awards or wait to see if UA gets more awards, which would most likely be on *A partners so it would be 140k. But I wouldn't have to pay $250 each way in fees either. Thus the options are 26k more UR points to transfer to UA vs. AF, assuming availability of awards materializes on UA MP in a couple of months, or pay $500 in fees but transfer 114k miles to AF vs. 140k to UA MP (where I already have a lot of miles too).

Has anyone transferred to AF and redeemed international J awards with AF FB recently?
Old Feb 24, 2019, 3:10 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by wco81
Wow, I'm surprised there isn't a long thread on this already.

I'm looking for J TATL....
There are threads organized by destination. Your topic is here:

UR points for USA to/from Europe [Consolidated]

Last edited by mia; Feb 24, 2019 at 3:27 pm
Old Feb 24, 2019, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by mia
There are threads organized by destination. Your topic is here:

UR points for USA to/from Europe [Consolidated]
I’ve collected links to the existing consolidated threads in post #1,
Old Mar 4, 2019, 4:19 pm

Programs: Delta, Marriott
Any topics for USA to Central/South America or Caribbean?

I have 300,000 UR to blow and no specific travel goals in mind right now. I might just go lay on a beach for a while!
Old Mar 5, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by jasonNYC85

I have 300,000 UR to blow and no specific travel goals in mind right now. I might just go lay on a beach for a while!
This looks nice. Only 15k points per night if you book before March 18th.
https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/co...papagayo/liraz
ginmqi likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
This looks nice. Only 15k points per night if you book before March 18th.
https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/co...papagayo/liraz
Hyatt is an incredible cpp deal. Lot of VERY nice properties at 15k/night. One of the most valuable use of Chase UR pts for hotel stays imo
Old Mar 7, 2019, 6:24 am

Programs: Delta, Marriott
Awesome find, thanks!
Old Mar 9, 2019, 10:19 am

Good question

Originally Posted by jasonNYC85

Husband and I are either going to Galapagos or Antarctica, so I'm interested in this as well. UIO or GYE, or EZE or USH. November or December 2019. Wondering if there are peals of wisdom out there...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.