Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Freedom 2018 4th quarter 5% categories: Wholesale club, Dept store, Chase Pay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase Freedom 2018 4th quarter 5% categories: Wholesale club, Dept store, Chase Pay

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by jeffersun
that's the assumption by most
Originally Posted by mroseman13
I opened up my Chase Pay app for the first time in a while and noticed that in addition to using a QR code to pay, there's now a link to Pay with Samsung Pay. If I link to Samsung Pay via the Chase Pay app, any chance that'll come through as the 5% for Chase Pay linking me there? That'd really expand the options infinitely for next quarter.
can confirm, it works.
Went into best buy to trigger the 6x. QR code scan would fail on their register, i ended hitting pay with samsung pay, did NFC.
1000 points showed up for using chase pay in transaction.
mia, mroseman13 and RedSun like this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedSun
Sure, if you can find another card which earns 10% cash on gaseline, definitely use that card. I'd like to find that card too.
I often have such a card in my wallet, and perhaps you do to.

Any card where you're getting a high-value signup bonus on minimum spend, and you wouldn't meet the spend easily without including gas purchases, those gas purchases earn quite likely way over 10% cash equivalent. But only until you've met the minimum spend, and then suddenly they don't. So if you churn using only "natural" spend, and churn enough times a year that most of your regular spend goes into minimum spend on signup bonuses, then you can have high returns on many categories. But doing that amount of churn doesn't work for everyone, and for people who MS through all their churn, it doesn't work either.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 1:49 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I often have such a card in my wallet, and perhaps you do to.

Any card where you're getting a high-value signup bonus on minimum spend, and you wouldn't meet the spend easily without including gas purchases, those gas purchases earn quite likely way over 10% cash equivalent. But only until you've met the minimum spend, and then suddenly they don't. So if you churn using only "natural" spend, and churn enough times a year that most of your regular spend goes into minimum spend on signup bonuses, then you can have high returns on many categories. But doing that amount of churn doesn't work for everyone, and for people who MS through all their churn, it doesn't work either.
If you consider SUB as part of your % rewards, then you can certainly jack up the %.

I can fill a tank of gas with the Barclay Aviator card and get 60,000 miles or more. What is the % of spending $30 and getting 60,000 miles? This is comparing apple vs watermelon.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedSun
If you consider SUB as part of your % rewards, then you can certainly jack up the %.

I can fill a tank of gas with the Barclay Aviator card and get 60,000 miles or more. What is the % of spending $30 and getting 60,000 miles? This is comparing apple vs watermelon.
My point is that's not very repeatable. Plus it's the same 60,000 miles if you only bought half a gallon.

My point is that if you spend most of your year doing "natural" minimum spend on one card or another, and comparatively little of your spend (only what's in a good category that month) goes on other cards, then it's quite different.

I have been in that situation for years now. I'd say at least 95% of my spend each year either goes on hotel cards for their hotels, Freedom or Discover for 5x/5% categories, Chase Premier TYP for 3x on "broadest definition of travel", Amex Everyday (with "20") for groceries, retention or other spend bonuses on existing cards, and otherwise on minimum spend for new cards.

Occasionally the schedule messes up (like when I apply for a card and I don't get it before a trip like I'd hoped, or I'm denied for one card and then have to apply for a different one which takes longer) where I have to use something else for a short time, but not that often.

I thus never got in the habit of thinking about an "everything else" card, the way some people for example treated the SPG card (until August of this year).
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:30 pm

Q4 can't come soon enough.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by jeffersun
that's the assumption by most
Interesting. So, it seems you login to Chase Pay and instead of the QR, use the Pay with Samsung Pay, then enter your Samsung PIN and get a special Samsung Pay/Chase Pay (at the top above the card being displayed) combined screen to do the NFC or MSD.

I have never done the double step, but I am sure I won't be the first to try it to see if it qualifies.

I am just going to say it, this is the dumbest digital wallet strategy. It just creates friction. Maybe for 5% worth it, but so awful.

Last edited by rasheed; Sep 20, 2018 at 7:58 pm
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by rasheed
Interesting. So, it seems you login to Chase Pay and instead of the QR, use the Pay with Samsung Pay, then enter your Samsung PIN and get a special Samsung Pay/Chase Pay (at the top above the card being displayed) combined screen to do the NFC or MSD.

I have never done the double step, but I am sure I won't be the first to try it to see if it qualifies.

I am just going to say it, this is the dumbest digital wallet strategy. It just creates friction. Maybe for 5% worth it, but so awful.
yeah, i think u have to go through that extra step. i did another transaction somewhere else but the chase pay symbol is alway on the top for me. it didnt code as Chase Pay. I might need to go and see how it works going through chase pay though.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: Virtuoso TA, UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Platinum
How does Chase Pay work exactly if you already have Apple Pay set up?
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by bluegatorade
How does Chase Pay work exactly if you already have Apple Pay set up?
for Apple, its just another app you use. unlike samsung phones though, u can only use them at the select places that would scan Chase's QR code.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 1:23 pm

Programs: Virtuoso TA, UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Platinum
Does the wholesale club category include Costco gas, or just regular Costco purchases?
Old Sep 23, 2018, 1:44 pm

Does the wholesale club category include Costco gas, or just regular Costco purchases?
i dont think it codes correctly at Costco gas. But was told the way around this is to get Costco cash gift card and use them at the pump.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I really wish we could avoid this question because it comes up every time. Costco Gas codes as Gas. Costco in store codes as warehouse stores. During gas quarters, Costco Gas counts as 5x. During warehouse clubs quarter, it doesn't, because it's not a warehouse club, it's a gas station! Costco inside counts as a warehouse club. To earn 5x at Costco Gas, simply buy a cash card in store, and use the cash card at the pump.

Simply find and replace Costco with [Sam's Club] since it works the same way there. I've never been a BJ's member but I'd guess it works the same way as Costco and Sam's. Both of these merchants have co-branded credit cards that offer bonuses on gas stations. The gas bar and the store will NOT code as the same thing. IME, they never have.
roundtree likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 3:46 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I really wish we could avoid this question because it comes up every time. ....
In fact it has already been asked and answered IN THIS THREAD, and Chase provided the answer in their FAQ.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 4:47 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I really wish we could avoid this question...
I really wish Chase would avoid warehouse and department store quarters.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 1:30 am

looks like the chase pay via samsung pay doesnt work at other places...
codes like a normal nfc.

so no wide open category.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.