Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Freedom 2018 4th quarter 5% categories: Wholesale club, Dept store, Chase Pay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase Freedom 2018 4th quarter 5% categories: Wholesale club, Dept store, Chase Pay

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2018, 12:53 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by sechs
Use Costco cash cards. Much easier.
He wants to cash in 10 Freedom cards and receive 75,000 UR points. Costco cash cards won't get there. Not sure how he can.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Tried to use Chase Pay at Best Buy today. The POS took quite a while trying to authorize the transaction before declining. However, it looks like I got a text from Chase approving the transaction anyway despite subsequently inserting a different card (under the mistaken assumption that I triggered fraud protection). Hopefully it falls off eventually but I'm not sure I'm going to be quite so willing to try it again--at least for in-person transactions.

For what it's worth, I haven't had problems reloading with the Starbucks app or filling gas at Shell using the Chase Pay "at the pump" feature.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To update, I ultimately had to file a dispute with Chase. Neither BB's telephone customer service nor the employees at the store were particularly helpful in reversing the duplicate charge, unfortunately.

On the other hand, this sort of thing seems common enough that there is a "used another payment method to complete the purchase" option when creating a dispute online. I suspect I won't have issues getting it reversed.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
So you disputed the non-5% transaction as both had posted?
Old Nov 27, 2018, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rasheed
So you disputed the non-5% transaction as both had posted?
I disputed the Chase Pay one as the receipt shows that the items were paid for using an AmEx.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Gave up on instore walmart purchases with chase pay. There's just too many reports that you can only see/add it on samsung phones. You can of course order online and chase pay at checkout, but I only went to use it a couple times on recent shopping trips and spent almost a half hour trying to get it setup. Very frustrating.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Chase applied the "temporary" credit for the "declined" Best Buy purchase. ("Temporary" because while BB could fight the dispute, I doubt they will.) Apparently I still received 4x points despite disputing the charge, so I guess that's one upside.

Still, I'm probably going to stick with Starbucks reloads and gas purchases the rest of the quarter, and possibly Walmart purchases too if I end up going to one (it worked fine the one or two times I've used it at self-checkout via Walmart Pay). I'm not sure 5x is worth the trouble otherwise, especially when employees expect you to use NFC instead of scanning a QR code.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 6:15 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

I invested in a Galaxy phone just for the Chase Pay. NFC is much easier than QR. Not sure about Chase Pay's QR. Do not think it will fly.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:24 pm
ck8

Programs: Delta SkyMiles GM/United Mileage Plus/Hilton Honors
The Chase Pay app is complete garbage. I was in line at BB to make a CP purchase of $650 and get the no eligible card nonsense. Called CS and was on hold for 20 minutes trying to resolve. Finally told me to just use physical card and call in for the credit when it posts. We shall see, rep said it was all noted on the account.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 11:30 am

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Originally Posted by RedSun
You think someone can get 10 Freedom cards? Each card is only $1,500/quarter and it is 7,500 URs.

I do not think Costco allow you to pay with 10 cards, if you manage to get them.
Maybe not 10, but I'm sure there are folks on here with 4+ cards.

Either way it was a joke... I was just laughing when I saw that on costco.com. I'm curious if how many super high dollar items like that Costco actually sells.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 4:23 pm

chase pay is so SLOW. samsungpay you can get to the pay screen in like 5 seconds but chase pay is garbage and takes forever to load and get to the pay screen
Old Dec 2, 2018, 5:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
My Costco membership expired on Nov 30. If I go online there now and renew membership with Freedom, will I get the 5x points? If not, I'd rather just go into the store and do it. I read upthread that online purchases had been posting as 1x in Oct, but I wasn't sure if it's been resolved.

Last edited by Stgermainparis; Dec 2, 2018 at 5:32 pm
Old Dec 3, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by evor1
chase pay is so SLOW. samsungpay you can get to the pay screen in like 5 seconds but chase pay is garbage and takes forever to load and get to the pay screen
We addressed this earlier though. On a Samsung phone where you have already linked Chase Pay, you can go the short method of directly to Samsung Pay, you will see the Chase Pay logo with the Freedom card picture and still get the 5% UR. I guess maybe you are trying to make a point of the Chase Pay software. Okay, true. However, the Chase Pay product manager can still claim a big win with all of the Samsung usage.

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
My Costco membership expired on Nov 30. If I go online there now and renew membership with Freedom, will I get the 5x points? If not, I'd rather just go into the store and do it. I read upthread that online purchases had been posting as 1x in Oct, but I wasn't sure if it's been resolved.
Unless you were trying to use your Discover card to get 5% online (which would then be recommend buying a Costco gift card to pay for the renewal), I would rather suggest you go in-store and let it auto-add the renewal fee at checkout when paying for your groceries since the Chase is a Visa.

There was value for it being not resolved as it appears manual credits did not apply against the 5% rewards limit, but I am guessing that has been fixed.
Stgermainparis likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
About to order a dishwasher on costco.com. Chase secure message says it should qualify for 5x points (my concern was with online orders). HOWEVER, the model I want is backordered till 1/9. Does anyone know if Costco.com charges at time of purchase or shipment/delivery?

Answered my own question: charges at shipping. However, the item that is backordered till mid January is now scheduled for delivery this week. All worked out.

Last edited by Stgermainparis; Dec 17, 2018 at 7:20 am
Old Dec 23, 2018, 7:45 pm
Community Director Emerita

For those of us who shop at Nordstroms and haven't maxed out the bonus for the quarter, there is a nice promo that runs from now thru Christmas Day. Buy $300 in gift cards and get a $50 bonus card. The bonus card must be used by Jan 31 2019.

Promotional Card Terms and Conditions

Promotional card to be e-mailed on January 3, 2019
  • This offer is valid between December 22, 2018, at 12:01AM PST and December 25, 2018, at 11:59PM PST (“Promotion Period”).
  • This offer applies only to electronic gift card purchases from Nordstrom.com, Nordstromrack.com and Hautelook.com during the Promotion Period. Minimum purchase of $300 USD is required to receive a $50 USD promotional card. Minimum purchase of $150 USD is required to receive a $20 USD promotional card. Purchases of electronic gift cards from the Nordstrom app are not eligible for this offer.
  • The promotional card will be sent on January 3, 2019, to the purchaser's email address provided at the time of qualifying purchase.
  • The promotional card will be valid in Nordstrom, Nordstrom Rack stores and online at Nordstrom.com, NordstromRack.com and HauteLook.com and EXPIRES ON JANUARY 31, 2019.
  • Limit one promotional card per customer.
  • Limit of one promotional card per transaction.
  • Promotional card not valid toward the purchase of plastic gift cards, electronic gift cards or toward previously purchased merchandise.
  • Promotional card may not be purchased, traded or sold.
  • To redeem the promotional card for online purchases, enter the promotional card number and access code in the “Gift Card” field of the payment section.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.