Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Freedom 2018 4th quarter 5% categories: Wholesale club, Dept store, Chase Pay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase Freedom 2018 4th quarter 5% categories: Wholesale club, Dept store, Chase Pay

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2018, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I bought a $25 Amazon gift card with Chase Pay at a Shell station today. Unfortunately it doesn't look like the code works on Amazon's site. Hopefully the guy who sold it to me just forgot to activate it and it's not because I used Chase Pay instead of a regular card or cash. Will stop by there tomorrow and talk to them about it.

Also, I ran into issues with the receipt checker at Walmart because I used Walmart Pay. Another employee had to tell him that it was okay that the receipt is in the Walmart app. Today definitely was not in my favor and is making it even less likely I'll use Chase Pay much in the future.

Update: apparently the guy who sold me the gift card wasn't actually supposed to so I got a refund. If previous history is any indication, I'll probably still get 4x for the attempt. The general points about Chase Pay still hold though.

Last edited by tmiw; Dec 28, 2018 at 12:44 pm Reason: Got refund for gift card
Old Dec 29, 2018, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Tried to use Chase Pay at BestBuy. Tapped pay on my CP app and scanned the QR code at the register. Payment somehow was made on my FU via Google Pay (Freedom is the default card on my Chase Pay app; while FU is the default card on my Google Pay). Google Pay app was not open at the time.

Luckily I didn't miss too much, as I am earning 3% on my Freedom Unlimited + 1% Google Pay bonus (but I think all Chase cards earn this anyway), so I am out 2%?

Anyone know what the cause may be?
Old Dec 29, 2018, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Chase Pay is just too much of a hot mess to use unless you're using it via Samsung Pay.

Finished off my Q4 buying a Costco cash card that will be killed off by the end of January.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Tried to use Chase Pay at BestBuy. Tapped pay on my CP app and scanned the QR code at the register. Payment somehow was made on my FU via Google Pay (Freedom is the default card on my Chase Pay app; while FU is the default card on my Google Pay). Google Pay app was not open at the time.

Luckily I didn't miss too much, as I am earning 3% on my Freedom Unlimited + 1% Google Pay bonus (but I think all Chase cards earn this anyway), so I am out 2%?

Anyone know what the cause may be?
Go to "Tap and Pay" in your phone settings and change the default setting from "always use GPay" to "use app that's open"
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 12:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Gift card purchase at costco.com today 12/31? Will it count for 5x? My other costco.com purchase did get points but I’m wondering about purchase date vs post date.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Gift card purchase at costco.com today 12/31? Will it count for 5x? My other costco.com purchase did get points but I’m wondering about purchase date vs post date.
In my experience, transactions done on the last day of the quarter should still count, even if they post several days after. That said, based on the fact that their text notifications have times in EST, I'd try to make sure the transaction goes through before midnight on the East Coast.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 8:29 am

Programs: Virtuoso TA, UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Platinum
To test out if the 5x is determined by transaction date or post date, I made a purchase at Costco on 12/30 thinking it wouldn't post until at least 1/1. Sadly I was wrong. Posted on 12/31.

Also has anyone conjured up a way of spending $1500 at a drug store without getting sick?
Old Jan 1, 2019, 8:32 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by bluegatorade

Also has anyone conjured up a way of spending $1500 at a drug store without getting sick?
Yes, discussion here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...res-tolls.html
Old Jan 1, 2019, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bluegatorade
To test out if the 5x is determined by transaction date or post date, I made a purchase at Costco on 12/30 thinking it wouldn't post until at least 1/1. Sadly I was wrong. Posted on 12/31.
I did a couple of transactions yesterday (12/31) which have yet to post. I'll update when they do so that we know for future reference.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 1:16 pm

I had a pleasant surprise when I checked one F account where they gave me courtesy credit for CPay that didn't work which only tracked at 1%. I sent SM to report CPay linked to SPay was only working half of the time for me; I wanted their IT to look into it and fix it. They gave me full 5% courtesy adjustment for those transactions without even asking. Sometime this month, I noticed the 5%bonus meter for this acct hasn't moved a bit so several days ago, I bought OVs at WAG, paid with CPay linked to SPay just to see if it'll track at 5%. While checking accounts today, I noticed that the transaction tracked at 5% and UR will post when this account in a few days.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by tmiw
I did a couple of transactions yesterday (12/31) which have yet to post. I'll update when they do so that we know for future reference.
IME, you would need to send a SM for retro credit. Very easy.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
IME, you would need to send a SM for retro credit. Very easy.
Actually, I just checked and it looks like I got the points without needing to send a SM:

Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Thought I'd update. Placed an order at costco.com for GC on 12/31 (10PM EST). It was in pending for several days then posted on 1/4. SM from Chase said that it was not eligible for 5x b/c the transaction date is 1/4 (presumably when Chase shipped GC). Annoying but makes sense. I'm going to return the GC to Costco.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.