Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Freedom 2018 4th quarter 5% categories: Wholesale club, Dept store, Chase Pay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase Freedom 2018 4th quarter 5% categories: Wholesale club, Dept store, Chase Pay

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2018, 2:03 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Does Costco gas count as a warehouse club purchase?
Old Sep 16, 2018, 3:05 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Scroll to the bottom of this page:

https://creditcards.chase.com/freedom/merchants

...which suggests club store fuel only qualifies through the Chase Pay category.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 4:08 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by RedSun
Set up your default Chase Pay with card, not UR points. It is your Chase Pay setting, not the WalMart Pay.
Pay with points was set to off. Any other ideas?

EDIT: Never mind. I tried it again just now and it's working. ^
RedSun likes this.

Last edited by RNE; Sep 16, 2018 at 4:15 pm
Old Sep 16, 2018, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by 355F1
Does Costco gas count as a warehouse club purchase?
If you have the Citi Costco Visa, you are already getting 4 percent on gasoline (including Costco gas), so the Freedom card would not be worth using.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 6:23 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
If you have the Citi Costco Visa, you are already getting 4 percent on gasoline (including Costco gas), so the Freedom card would not be worth using.
.... Citi Costco is cash and UR is point, apple vs orange. You never want to compare cash vs UR 1%:1 UR...

I have the Costco Visa, but I've not put on any charges over the past two years. All Costco purchases are done with Costco Cash Cards with Discover 5% promotion (not sure Freedom ever has the 5x). All gas purchases are done with GCs when Chase and Discover offer 5x or 5%.

Last edited by RedSun; Sep 16, 2018 at 7:07 pm Reason: Remove personal characterization.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 7:34 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb

I don't have a Costco VISA.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 9:12 pm

.... Citi Costco is cash and UR is point, apple vs orange. You never want to compare cash vs UR 1%:1 UR...
Alternative rewards are not necessarily equivalent, but always relevant. Unless, of course, you simply choose to ignore them.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 9:19 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Alternative rewards are not necessarily equivalent, but always relevant. Unless, of course, you simply choose to ignore them.
Not to ignore anything. But Costco gas is 4% back, or $100 -> $4. If Chase UR is worth $0.02/pt, then Freedom 5x UR gives you $100 -> $10. How can you say that "so the Freedom card would not be worth using?" I'm just puzzled how you drew the conclusion.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 10:50 pm

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat

I have the Costco Visa, but I've not put on any charges over the past two years. All Costco purchases are done with Costco Cash Cards with Discover 5% promotion (not sure Freedom ever has the 5x). All gas purchases are done with GCs when Chase and Discover offer 5x or 5%.
And Costco Cash cards can be used for gas fillups too...
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:39 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by roundtree
And Costco Cash cards can be used for gas fillups too...
Yes, if there are as many Costco gas stations as Wawa, Exxon, Shell.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:47 am
RNE

Anybody know if Target counts as a department store?
Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:10 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by RNE
....Target counts as a department store?
No, see here:

https://creditcards.chase.com/freedom/merchants
Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:35 am

But Costco gas is 4% back, or $100 -> $4. If Chase UR is worth $0.02/pt, then Freedom 5x UR gives you $100 -> $10. How can you say that "so the Freedom card would not be worth using?" I'm just puzzled how you drew the conclusion.
First, if you crank up your assumption high enough (UR = $0.02/pt), you will always get the answer you want.

Secondly (and more important), the Chase Freedom Q4 category is limited to $1,500 per quarter, while the Costco Citi 4% can be used for up to $7,000 in gas purchases (essentially unlimited for most gas consumers). Why waste your $1,500 on gas purchases that you are already earning a 4% rebate, when you can save your $1,500 for spending that would otherwise earn much less (say, 1%).

So, even if you generously assume that the Chase expenditure is twice as valuable as the Citi expenditure, using that precious commodity elsewhere might be five times as valuable. It is simply more bang for your buck.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:00 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Secondly (and more important), the Chase Freedom Q4 category is limited to $1,500 per quarter, while the Costco Citi 4% can be used for up to $7,000 in gas purchases (essentially unlimited for most gas consumers). Why waste your $1,500 on gas purchases that you are already earning a 4% rebate, when you can save your $1,500 for spending that would otherwise earn much less (say, 1%).
You still compare the Costco 4% cash vs 5x UR Freedom rewards..... Interesting.

Some people have multiple Freedom and Discover CCs. We just want to max out the spending, whatever it is. Gas can be part of it. There are many other CCs that get good rewards on gas. The BA 3-2-1 card with the 1.75x gives 5.25% cash back. The limit is $2,500/quarter. I get two of such cards. Can't even max out a single one.

We do not need to save the $1,500/quarter.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:25 am

Some people have multiple Freedom and Discover CCs. ...We do not need to save the $1,500/quarter.
Not everyone is in the same situation. My analysis is valid, and relevant for many. It is myopic to declare that the two cards should "never" be compared (post 35).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.