Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Freedom 2018 4th quarter 5% categories: Wholesale club, Dept store, Chase Pay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase Freedom 2018 4th quarter 5% categories: Wholesale club, Dept store, Chase Pay

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2018, 12:17 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by rasheed
My 9/30 Costco Gas posted in October, but Q3 qualified. So, I agree on transaction date (which is true for DIscover too).

On the Chase Pay Q4 situation. It has to be tested on Samsung phones only when you open Chase Pay, then open the Pay option on the Freedom card, then click the Samsung Pay option to get a combined Chase/Samsung Pay NFC/MSD activation if it counts as Chase Pay (5%) or not. I do not believe we have seen any examples of this working yet. This complex digital wallet method does not apply to any other device type.

I really like the S7 series (assuming no pink line issue) for a very powerful phone, cheaper that has wireless charging and supports Samsung Pay.
Originally Posted by vh_bu98
I don't think Walgreens accepts Chase Pay.

When I was at Best Buy, they just scanned my Chase Pay QR code and it went through without issue.
I just ran to Walgreen and bought a $25 Amazon GC with Chase Pay (bridged to Samsung Pay). I'll see what reward rate I get.

I used my Chase Pay (Freedom) to buy some eBay GC at ShopRite to test out. But it only allows one transaction at a time. I do not know if this is because of GC or Chase Pay....
Old Oct 2, 2018, 12:19 pm

Did a test transaction at WAG via Chase pay and it failed (error message in her screen saying mode of payment not accepted) when cashier scanned CP barcode. I looked at my POS screen to check accepted payments and Chase Pay is no longer showing There was GooglePay aside from different CCs. I think in Q1, they still accepted ChasePay since I bought 3 VGCs there using CP as mobile payment. Even if my phone can connect to Samsung Pay, I did not try to proceed linking CP to SP and just cancelled transaction.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 12:22 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mamibear
Did a test transaction at WAG via Chase pay and it failed (error message in her screen saying mode of payment not accepted) when cashier scanned CP barcode. I looked at my POS screen to check accepted payments and Chase Pay is no longer showing There was GooglePay aside from different CCs. I think in Q1, they still accepted ChasePay since I bought 3 VGCs there using CP as mobile payment. Even if my phone can connect to Samsung Pay, I did not try to proceed linking CP to SP and just cancelled transaction.
Chase Pay is only at Best Buy, WM and ShopRite and a few other places. Not WAG.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun
I just ran to Walgreen and bought a $25 Amazon GC with Chase Pay (bridged to Samsung Pay). I'll see what reward rate I get.

I used my Chase Pay (Freedom) to buy some eBay GC at ShopRite to test out. But it only allows one transaction at a time. I do not know if this is because of GC or Chase Pay....
Let us know what rate you got at WAG. i wonder long it takes to figure out the percentage? Does it show right after the charges post?

I need a good reason to buy a new phone
Old Oct 2, 2018, 2:01 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cdog999
Let us know what rate you got at WAG. i wonder long it takes to figure out the percentage? Does it show right after the charges post?

I need a good reason to buy a new phone
I got a Galaxy phone just for the Samsung Pay purpose. My old phone does not get the Samsung Pay working. Also, you have to upgrade Android to at least 8.0 to work. I had trouble with Android 7.0. YMMV.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 2:05 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by pallhedge
FWIW, I've always thought it was based on transaction date, so not a reversal.
Your thoughts notwithstanding, I documented an SM from Chase stating that post date governed. But I'm not going to get into it with you.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by cdog999
i wonder long it takes to figure out the percentage? Does it show right after the charges post?
Yes, on the new chase.com site redesign, a posted charge can be clicked to see the rewards rate for a given transaction including the added 4x bonus. No definitive info on pending charges.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
Your thoughts notwithstanding, I documented an SM from Chase stating that post date governed. But I'm not going to get into it with you.
Fair enough. I prefer to get my information from data points rather than chronically misinformed Chase reps. Every data point I can recall being shared going back at least 1 maybe 2 years points to transaction date not posting date. But I'm glad you have your info from Chase documented
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:40 pm

Programs: Delta, IHG
So this is my first time using both Walmart Pay and Chase Pay. I decided to test it out on a gift card to see the result. I am wondering what the "Wmp shopping card" means and why it gave me a discount on the card?

Old Oct 3, 2018, 3:02 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, National Executive Elite
I've also done a few test transactions with SamsungPay via the ChasePay app and will update when they post to my account. I tried Safeway and a work cafe. Here's hoping I can get some VGCs at Safeway/WAG this quarter for misc expenses.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by Noctilum
So this is my first time using both Walmart Pay and Chase Pay. I decided to test it out on a gift card to see the result. I am wondering what the "Wmp shopping card" means and why it gave me a discount on the card?

Walmart gift card -- you probably had one saved to your Walmart account so it used it up: https://www.walmart.com/account/giftcards
Old Oct 3, 2018, 7:00 pm

Attempted to buy a VGC using walmart pay + Chase pay at nbrhood wm the following error.

Old Oct 3, 2018, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Well, it looks like your question is more appropriate for the MS forum. It does seem to appear at least at this store, Walmart Pay/Chase Pay is not coded as credit so it doesn't accept the payment type. This could be intentional.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 10:26 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by rasheed
My 9/30 Costco Gas posted in October, but Q3 qualified. So, I agree on transaction date (which is true for DIscover too).

On the Chase Pay Q4 situation. It has to be tested on Samsung phones only when you open Chase Pay, then open the Pay option on the Freedom card, then click the Samsung Pay option to get a combined Chase/Samsung Pay NFC/MSD activation if it counts as Chase Pay (5%) or not. I do not believe we have seen any examples of this working yet. This complex digital wallet method does not apply to any other device type.
On 10/1 I made a transaction where I opened Chase Pay, chose the Freedom card, and clicked the Samsung Pay option. The transaction processed normally, but today it posted as 1x points only. I am sure others will try, but for me this did not work to trigger the 5x bonus category.

And two data points for issues that already seem settled in prior posts: Costco Gas purchase on 9/30 did yield 5x, and a Costco Gas purchase on 10/1 got 1x.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by Biscoff27
On 10/1 I made a transaction where I opened Chase Pay, chose the Freedom card, and clicked the Samsung Pay option. The transaction processed normally, but today it posted as 1x points only. I am sure others will try, but for me this did not work to trigger the 5x bonus category.

And two data points for issues that already seem settled in prior posts: Costco Gas purchase on 9/30 did yield 5x, and a Costco Gas purchase on 10/1 got 1x.
Bummer... Will be interesting to see what the Walgreens purchase comes back as.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.