Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase fraud alerts & fraudulent charges [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase fraud alerts & fraudulent charges [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2016, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by B747-437B
For the last few weeks though, I have had no issues so the algorithm has obviously learned my spending patterns better.
Now here comes the other side to the problem... do I really WANT Chase to learn my spending patterns better? More specifically, do I want them to learn my wife's spending patterns? At least right now, these fraud alerts slow her down a little bit when she's out binge shopping....

Last edited by mia; Oct 25, 2016 at 7:55 am Reason: Formatting
Old Oct 27, 2016, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by B747-437B
I've found that Chase gets really aggressive with fraud alerts every time I get a new card with them.

When I got the new Sapphire Reserve a couple months ago, the first few weeks I was being locked out literally every second day due to security flags. It got to the point where I was actually being recognised by the operators at the "security department" since I was calling so often. Often, the same transactions that were being rejected on the Sapphire Reserve were being approved on the Sapphire Preferred when I tried to use that a few seconds later. For the last few weeks though, I have had no issues so the algorithm has obviously learned my spending patterns better.

The same thing happened when I opened my Sapphire Preferred a few years ago and also when I opened my Mileage Plus Explorer a few years before that.

My charges with Chase tend to be primarily in Africa/Middle East and for travel transactions in my own and third party names at short notice (book to fly same day or next day), so traditionally "high risk" type transactions.
So far, my experience with the CSR (and several other Chase cards before that) has been quite the opposite of yours. Since 3 Sep, more than 100 transactions have gone through on the CSR with no hiccups. Most are local spending, but several are domestic travel, so "low-risk" all around with the only possible exception being a few gas station charges for rental cars. No international travel yet.

The only issue I had was trying to buy DB Bahn tickets online for upcoming travel in Germany. The website rejected my CSR - problem with the expiry date or the CVV. After a second try to make sure it wasn't my input error, I used another card (non-Chase, no FTF). There was no fraud alert or any sort of rejection on Chase's part, so it doesn't seem like they ever saw the attempted transaction.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 8:31 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
Originally Posted by mhdena
My CSP was breached a few months ago, I do not have any auto payments on it and believe it was probably done at a restaurant of some sort.
companies get hacked and those hackers sell the cc numbers. they will even reprint them on blank credit cards to sell.

that is why chip and PIN is a much more secure route, however, cc companies dont like it because its an extra step at check out
Old Oct 31, 2016, 8:48 pm

Have had my Chase Sapphire Reserve for all of 2 months and just got hit with fraudulent charges last week! I've been using primarily for plane tickets and at restaurants/cafes. My two guesses are either at McDonalds (I used one of those kiosks, so maybe there was a skimmer?) or an online purchase I made for theatre tickets in London.

I got an email from Chase with the fraud alert. Not being a longtime Chase customer, I didn't know if I should trust it (the email looked a little wonky) so I checked my online account and also the app. No mention of any fraud alert which was surprising to me, and I wasn't going to click on any suspicious links via email. So I called and they verified there was indeed an alert and I took care of everything on the phone.

Wish there was a way to handle it via app.

I also didn't get a text, but maybe I need to enable this.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 8:57 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by othermike27
The only issue I had was trying to buy DB Bahn tickets online for upcoming travel in Germany. The website rejected my CSR - problem with the expiry date or the CVV. After a second try to make sure it wasn't my input error, I used another card (non-Chase, no FTF). There was no fraud alert or any sort of rejection on Chase's part, so it doesn't seem like they ever saw the attempted transaction.
Had the same problem booking four tickets this week with Deutschebahn with CSR. Waited overnight and tried again, and still couldn't get it to go through without an error message pointing to the card number or the security code. Went through fine on a Chase Hyatt card I've previously used on that site.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 9:57 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I don't mind Chase's fraud alert system. In fact I think it's very effective. What I'm upset about is how often fraud happens! Three times this year different Chase cards of mine have been compromised. It happens far more often with Chase than with the cards from any other bank I carry.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
I don't mind Chase's fraud alert system. In fact I think it's very effective. What I'm upset about is how often fraud happens! Three times this year different Chase cards of mine have been compromised. It happens far more often with Chase than with the cards from any other bank I carry.
Are you sure it's not because you're using Chase cards more often than others? While there have been rumors of a security leak there, I don't think it's been confirmed either way.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 5:14 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by tmiw
Are you sure it's not because you're using Chase cards more often than others? While there have been rumors of a security leak there, I don't think it's been confirmed either way.
When you say it's not "confirmed" you mean what... that Chase has not admitted it publicly? Pfft.

I've had fraud on Chase case I've left in a locked drawer for months at a time. Cards from Amex, Citi, and US Bank I've used regularly have had nowhere near the frequency of problems seen with Chase. Based on discussions here on FT I know I'm far from the only person with such experience.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 1:04 am

When you say it's not "confirmed" you mean what... that Chase has not admitted it publicly? Pfft.

I've had fraud on Chase case I've left in a locked drawer for months at a time. Cards from Amex, Citi, and US Bank I've used regularly have had nowhere near the frequency of problems seen with Chase. Based on discussions here on FT I know I'm far from the only person with such experience.
That's interesting. Out of curiosity, did you have those Chase cards on any sort of autopay for anything?

As for me, it seems I've been lucky in terms of fraud. I use my CC's almost everywhere, even for fast food and have only ever had one problem which was with a Capital One card. At the time, I had been at sea for 6 months and had just come back to the States for less than a week when someone started racking up weird charges (including their home electric bill, which doesn't seem the brightest move if you're looking to avoid being caught). I had also used my CC exactly once during that period, so I'm sure that was useful to identify potential suspects.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 4:45 am

I had the same problem with a Chase card that sat it a safe for 10 months.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 2:36 pm

Chase compromised again?

Noticed a few fraudulent charges pop up on my CSR within the past few days. Card has only been used to book airfare online through the carriers themselves and my laptop is clean (formatted and reimaged before and after every international trip per corporate policy).
Old Nov 27, 2016, 3:55 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by rigor
...my laptop is clean (formatted and reimaged before and after every international trip per corporate policy).
You must do a lot of traveling to China...
Old Dec 2, 2016, 6:05 pm

Big Miss on Fraud Alert

I have a JPM Select card that is usually a bit jumpy, with alerts for small purchases which becomes a nuisance. A few weeks ago, the card was stolen and I didn't discover it for a few days. In that few days, someone(s) used the
card for over $11,000 in purchases, 5 or 6 a day, in a geographical
area I've never been and in stores that are not ever in my shopping
behavior patterns. Never set foot in a Petco, Victoria's Secret, Kohl's,
among many others. Shouldn't the detection of this been a no brainer?

Of course I am not liable, but it's shocking that the card could be used
so aggressively and irregularly for days without any alert to me. And
yet, trying to spend $60 at a drug store across the street set off alarms.

Anybody have a similar experience?
Old May 23, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: AA, United, Hilton, IHG, Carlson, Hyatt, SPG
Fraud on Chase

In the past year 3 of my credit cards had Fraud Alerts - all CHASE cards, never any other card. My Hyatt card had fraud twice this year and I hardly ever use the card.

Does anyone else notice this happens with Chase?

Mystic
Old May 23, 2017, 10:12 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I've had far more instances on my Amex cards. I think it's more about where and how the cards are used than the company issuing it.
Fraud can cost a CC issuer a lot of money and hassle (depending on how the transaction is processed).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.