Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2015, 6:28 pm

Programs: US, AA, AM, BA, HH, SPG, PC, Carlson, Marriott, Choice
Originally Posted by elementofice
fromfall:

Not sure if your post was in response to mine, but I did read the wiki on this thread and it doesn't mention anything about using someone else's invitation codes so I asked this question. In fact I just read it again. Did I do something wrong?
No. Fallfrom 8 was refering to a different post.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 8:25 pm

Another data point confirming that the "5/24 rule" does NOT apply to business cards...

I have opened 16 new credit cards in the past 2 years and decided to apply for the Chase Ink Plus on 11/10, however received a pending notice. After waiting 3 weeks, with the automated line continuing to give a "within 2 weeks" message, I called the reconsideration line on 12/1.

I spoke with a friendly CSR who asked questions about my income/business and eventually about the numerous credit inquiries and 9 new cards opened this year alone. I made up some excuse about wanting hotel rewards for a honeymoon. He then told me that he would recommend an approval for the card, but that it would need to be cleared by a higher level. I called the automated line on 12/2 and to my surprise received an approval message (called CSR to confirm new account).

Best of luck!
Old Dec 3, 2015, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Actually, if you've been reading this thread, you would have seen that the highest chance of approval is not auto, not recon, not call, but just wait it out, never ever ever call, and perhaps you get approved weeks later despite not answering their begging pleas for you to call.

All Chase business cards are more likely to be denied lately if you call than if you don't call. No Chase business cards are known to be affected by 5/24 (as long as you don't call, anyway). So I don't see why you'd be more likely to be approved for UA biz than Ink+ which is also a biz. But in either case, the process may take weeks to "naturally" play out.
Sorry, I knew that. I was just too stuck in my old ways.

Is it fair to characterize the difficulty of getting approved (either auto or wait out) is: Ink+ > UA biz > BA (easiest)

assuming a very small business?
Old Dec 4, 2015, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by thinkorswim
Another data point confirming that the "5/24 rule" does NOT apply to business cards...

I have opened 16 new credit cards in the past 2 years and decided to apply for the Chase Ink Plus on 11/10, however received a pending notice. After waiting 3 weeks, with the automated line continuing to give a "within 2 weeks" message, I called the reconsideration line on 12/1.

I spoke with a friendly CSR who asked questions about my income/business and eventually about the numerous credit inquiries and 9 new cards opened this year alone. I made up some excuse about wanting hotel rewards for a honeymoon. He then told me that he would recommend an approval for the card, but that it would need to be cleared by a higher level. I called the automated line on 12/2 and to my surprise received an approval message (called CSR to confirm new account).

Best of luck!
Congrats on your approval of the Chase Ink! It is an awesome card for travel reward earnings.

Chase did count my Ink when I applied for the CSP a little over a month ago however I was fortunate enough to find an agreeable representative to approve the app for me by removing my AU accounts. The AU's put me over 5 in 24. I did not call reconsideration until after I received the denial letter in the mail.

Now we are waiting for an approval or denial on my husband's United app that's been suspended in the 30 day notice for three weeks. He was over the 5/24 rule so we did not even try for the CSP for him.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA, UAL
Originally Posted by elementofice
fromfall:

Not sure if your post was in response to mine, but I did read the wiki on this thread and it doesn't mention anything about using someone else's invitation codes so I asked this question. In fact I just read it again. Did I do something wrong?
Oh no, I wasn't referring to your post at all! I just liked the comic sarcasm that was in that message, nothing more than that.

Cheers!
Old Dec 4, 2015, 3:29 pm

Read over the wiki multiple times,
Does anyone know if calling the automated line ONLY (i.e. (800) 432-3117) to check the status of your application results in any negative consequences?

Not sure if Chase is checking to see how many times you are inquiring about the status of your application and if it has an affect.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 4:22 pm

Programs: PetCo Pals Rewards
Originally Posted by FlyEW
Does anyone know if calling the automated line ONLY (i.e. (800) 432-3117) to check the status of your application results in any negative consequences?

Not sure if Chase is checking to see how many times you are inquiring about the status of your application and if it has an affect.
Plenty of people have called in many times and then reported if they were approved or denied. I don't know of anyone who has compiled the stats though. If you read through the past 100 or so posts, you might get an idea if this has an effect. If you do, report back here on what you find!
Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, United

My last application for Ink Cash took seven weeks to resolve, and during that time I had the automated number on speed dial for an excessive amount of checking, finally got "you're approved," so apparently no harm done.....
Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:50 pm

Just to add a data point for co-branded cards:

Just applied and got approved for a Chase United Explorer card for a 5k limit. So I must be reaching Chase's internal CL for me, but was instantly approved even after having more than 5 cards in the last 2 years, not included the United card.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 4:44 am

I've been calling the auto status line for 3 weeks...just got the "you've been approved" message this morning for my husband's Chase UA card. Approved with a 33k line of credit. I had lowered his credit lines on 3 of his other Chase cards by a total of 20k hoping for an auto approval. It looks as if that was unnecessary. Now I'm wondering why it took them 3 weeks to approve. By the time we actually receive the card it will have been about a month from the app day effectively cutting the time he has to meet minimum spend from 3 to 2 months. This won't be a problem, but I do wonder if that may be part of the new Chase strategy...
Old Dec 5, 2015, 5:19 am

Talking to machines is fine. It's the humans at Chase who are the problem.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 9:25 am

Applied today for CSP, then a few minutes later for Freedom. Both times got instantly approved. I had 5 new cards in the last 24 months, 2 of them were AU. Credit score 750+ and it is my first card ever with Chase.

Should I try to apply for a third one? I can handle the spend requirements of the 3 cards. Any recommendations for a good third card?
Old Dec 5, 2015, 9:25 am

datapoint for 5/24 rule, though I think this has already been reported.

applied for a CSP ~3 months ago online and was denied via a letter in the mail due to "more than 4 cards opened within the past 24 months".

today I went to my branch to make a deposit and was told "by the way you have been pre-approved for several chase credit cards". Asked about CSP, was told I was already denied once b/c of the 5/24 rule and was expected to be denied again, but to my surprised, I was instantly approved (and with a pretty high CL at that). Haven't received the card yet, but I am 100% sure I'm approved b/c it already shows up on my chase.com account.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 3:08 pm

Requesting advice:

As of last night I had opened 3 cards in the past 24, but I was also an AU on 2 more new cards, for a total of 5/24. I pulled one of my credit reports last night and saw that my newest actual account and newest AU had not appeared yet, so I decided to try for a CSP this morning (hopefully looking like 3/24). I got a "pending" notification, so I called recon and they verified info and asked to move some credit from my Slate to the new card, which was fine with me. I was approved for the CSP today.

My question is: should I attempt Freedom today while I still look like a 4/24? I know that I can always try later and then attempt to get the AUs not to count, but would it be easier to get it done before my two recent accounts show up on my credit report? Would applying for Freedom today also only result in one HP? Or am I just inviting more scrutiny by trying to open two Chase cards in one day?

Thanks!
Old Dec 5, 2015, 3:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by unclebuckme
Requesting advice:

As of last night I had opened 3 cards in the past 24, but I was also an AU on 2 more new cards, for a total of 5/24. I pulled one of my credit reports last night and saw that my newest actual account and newest AU had not appeared yet, so I decided to try for a CSP this morning (hopefully looking like 3/24). I got a "pending" notification, so I called recon and they verified info and asked to move some credit from my Slate to the new card, which was fine with me. I was approved for the CSP today.

My question is: should I attempt Freedom today while I still look like a 4/24? I know that I can always try later and then attempt to get the AUs not to count, but would it be easier to get it done before my two recent accounts show up on my credit report? Would applying for Freedom today also only result in one HP? Or am I just inviting more scrutiny by trying to open two Chase cards in one day?

Thanks!
Similar question. If I'm instantly approved on CSP (pre-approved, too), would it be unwise to apply for Freedom same day? For same reasons as poster above?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.