Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 15, 2014, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived. Please follow the topic here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1986148-chase-closed-my-credit-card-account-s-tales-speculation-2019-thread.html

If you feel your account has been unfairly closed, consider filing a complaint with the Consumer Protection Financial Bureau:

CFPB's complaint form: http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

When someone reports an account closure here, a lot of the same questions get asked. It might be useful to answer some questions in advance. This could help figure out what happened or how to proceed:
  1. Did you transfer UR points to someone with a different address? Different last name?
  2. Did you sell UR points to someone?
  3. Approximately what percentage of your charges earned less than 5x points in the past 12 months?
  4. Did a Chase or non-Chase bank recently close one of your credit cards?
  5. Are you using up a large percentage of your credit line on all Chase and non-Chase credit cards?
  6. Is your total credit line with Chase much higher than with other banks?
  7. Did you apply for many credit cards or other forms of credit in the past 2 months? ("Many" may be hard to define.)
  8. If you have a Chase checking account how much did you typically deposit in money orders per month, if any?
  9. Did you recently start spending a lot more with Chase than in typical months?
  10. Is your monthly balance frequently close to your credit limit?
  11. Approximately what percentage of spending was on gift cards this year?
  12. How much of your bill do you typically pay using WM or KMart bill payment if any?
  13. Do you have a Chase mortgage or other account that might be profitable to Chase?
  14. Has your credit score or credit profile changed recently? As in: significantly more debt, more open credit lines, or a large drop in your credit score?
Related threads: 2013.1 2013.4
2013.12 2014.6
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ta-points.html

On 1/4/15, LivelyFL noted that 34 posts have referenced account closures (updated 1/25/15):
1, 55, 80, 108, 117, 129, 146, 165, 182, 212, 221, 222, 232, 235, 262, 272, 281, 326, 364, 410, 411, 428, 475, 477, 482, 513, 552, 586, 620, 648, 656, 662, 714, 718, 784 and 815.

Mortgasm provided more detail as follows:

001 - moarmiles little explaination - 'inconsistent spending'
055 - brettskyg chase gift cards tiny ms
080 - Artemk checking chase gift card, tiny MS, international wires, wall-mart BP
108 - TTnc4me (105 actually) no info
117 - rodsren
129 - Kybosh chase gift card checking
146 - mintcilantro - checking 6k/month MS, BB payments from another ss#, some MO/AP, 7new cards in 90days, short cycling
165 - newcomr - checking
182 - thehawk75 - heavy MSw/other banks,
212 - LRD - 2x spend of 20k /month (on two cards), checking
221 - iceman 77_7, no info
222 - jk2 no info
232 - hitman1420 checking , heavy MS activity (no number)
235 - clearlyanewb checking, MS activity (10k AGC and more), light credit history, 10 recent inquiries
262 - brc01 - shortcycling, some MS (18k/month over a few cards), 1
272 - rambo - 70% MS on 5 cards, WM BP of 16k/month on 5 cards
281 - prestonv - heavy MS - 20k/month on multiple chase cards, heavy WMBP (ink stayed open)
326 - pacupgo - false alarm, no shutdown
364 - edh101985 - tiny MS (bonus only) , 4 chase cards in 6 months,
410 - msetr - lots of freedom/ink ms
411 - standaman360 - international wires (business), million dollar balances,
428 - queensgambit - gambling transactions, UR point transfer from SO, 5 chase apps 3 new chase cc in 45 days, Blogger points coach
475 - dogloverjb - checking, international wires,
477 - ftomasz - 14 inquiries in 8 months, 5 chase, minimal MS, rapid upswing in credit, paying from multiple accounts
482 - liw5215 - Heavy MS, re-entered after 13 months
513 - thegasguru - checking, $3k/month MO to checking, NO MS, AP,
552 - LAXtoWorld - 3 cards in 30 days
586 - adavydov7 checking, $1k APs,
648 - CMHFlyerOH - checking, MO, 3k gift cards
656 - I can see for miles - Maxed UR 5x rewards on Freedom and Ink cards. Chased closed all accounts. Was approved for Ritz Carlton card 14 months later and did nothing unusual with it, other than lower CL from 30K to 10K to free up CL for possible approvals. Two subsequent Chase apps (Chase Ink and Marriott Rewards), on separate dates 3+ months later, were declined for a "previous unsatisfactory relationship ..."
662 - frogdog51 - Chase VGCs (Reapproved in 12 months)
677 - Subdawg - closed for piggybacking
714 - Mamibear - 'abuse' redcard MS
718 - maxswanson - MS, 11 chase cards, traded UR, (reapproved after 12 months)
752 - peaser - "reputational risk" associated with the business (decision reversed later)
757 - uncommonsensical checking, 3 Cashier's Check deposits with quick w/d (the w/d were to pay CHASE credit cards! ridiculous 'loss prevention' dept. gods). All CC's closed 2 days later. Tried EX Office- they seem to have zero power once the Mullah in loss prevention has issued a fatwa (my guess: some 27 year old with a god complex).
762 - knopfler - checking closed (all credit cards closed in both mine and Mrs. Knopflers accounts about three weeks after checking closure)
771 - milemonkey - 'reputational Risk" connected to Attorney General lawsuit
784 - unstable one: 2 cash deposits over 10k to chase checking
815 - dukerau - one time UR point sale, 77% spending is 5x,
Print Wikipost

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2018, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami
How are you 4/24 with 22 inquiries? Sounds like you're 4/24 with Chase and ~20/24 overall. If the latter, you're in the high-risk group, for sure.
22 inquiries is a mix of business card application/credit union inquiries/auto loan. Just because you have 22 inquiries doesn't mean they are for personal credit cards. Most of the inquiries is because I've been racking up business cards with other creditors.

I am 4/24 with 2/24 of the cards being Chase Cards. One IHG and One Hyatt. Both are closed.

If I was 20/24, I wouldn't even apply for the Chase Sapphire as I would get auto denied.
Old May 23, 2018, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by DiMAn0684
Did you apply for Ink Business cards through a BRM?
The Chase Ink Preferred was through a BRM when i was 6/24.

Then, when I became 4/24, I applied online for Chase Ink Cash and then had to call in to get approved.
Old May 23, 2018, 3:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Ali Taheri
22 inquiries is a mix of business card application/credit union inquiries/auto loan. Just because you have 22 inquiries doesn't mean they are for personal credit cards. Most of the inquiries is because I've been racking up business cards with other creditors.

I am 4/24 with 2/24 of the cards being Chase Cards. One IHG and One Hyatt. Both are closed.

If I was 20/24, I wouldn't even apply for the Chase Sapphire as I would get auto denied.
I know how inquiries work, but if Chase sees a slew of inquiries at other banks but no new matching accounts, that's still a red flag. Chase obviously knows that churners are abusing the hell out of business cards.
Old May 24, 2018, 2:29 pm
RNE

While Chase is not enamored of so-called churners (I consider myself one), that doesn't mean we're not profitable customers nor that Chase necessarily wants to root us out. Indeed, the 5/24 policy bespeaks such tolerance. Otherwise, Chase could simply limit signup bonuses to once per lifetime.

RNE, suggesting successful churning is a matter of degree; I exercise restraint and keep myself in the sweet spot (or, so I hope).
strickerj likes this.
Old May 24, 2018, 4:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Churners definitionally aren't profitable customers. It's borderline impossible to be a true churner while staying within 5/24, even with business cards.
Old May 25, 2018, 8:39 am
RNE

Originally Posted by joe_miami
Churners definitionally aren't profitable customers. It's borderline impossible to be a true churner while staying within 5/24, even with business cards.
My definition differs, but admittedly the border is subjective. Still, I try to stay as close to the border as I can without going over. Or, if I do, not so far that Chase's border guards notice.

RNE, admitting my psychiatrist calls me borderline.
strickerj likes this.
Old May 25, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Since the last 80 posts or so have been AMA type questions and not an actual shutdown report (mid April was the last report), might as well rename this thread to AMA.

If a person loses their card and calls for a replacement, will that lead to a shutdown?

Asking for a friend.
blitzen likes this.
Old May 25, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by mhdena
Since the last 80 posts or so have been AMA type questions and not an actual shutdown report (mid April was the last report), might as well rename this thread to AMA.

If a person loses their card and calls for a replacement, will that lead to a shutdown?

Asking for a friend.
Why would they shut him down. I think there is a higher risk if your card is compromised and charges are made to it that Chase has to eat up because you are protected from fraud. That happened to me last month and now they issued a new CSR number and metal card. Chase erased the charges that were made, as the last charge was coming in while I was on the phone with the Fraud department, and they decided to track it closely with the merchant. So, why would they shut him down just because he/she lost her Credit Card and called to cancel and get a replacement one. Only cost to Chase is the new plastic card and USPS stamp and that is it.

People here are more worried of a shutdown for too much MS or being heavy Churners even with the 5/24 rule. So tell your friend to worry about bigger things and not a thing that usually happens to many of us at least once a year.
Old May 25, 2018, 11:06 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by carlitos
Why would they shut him down. I think there is a higher risk if your card is compromised and charges are made to it that Chase has to eat up because you are protected from fraud. That happened to me last month and now they issued a new CSR number and metal card. Chase erased the charges that were made, as the last charge was coming in while I was on the phone with the Fraud department, and they decided to track it closely with the merchant. So, why would they shut him down just because he/she lost her Credit Card and called to cancel and get a replacement one. Only cost to Chase is the new plastic card and USPS stamp and that is it.

People here are more worried of a shutdown for too much MS or being heavy Churners even with the 5/24 rule. So tell your friend to worry about bigger things and not a thing that usually happens to many of us at least once a year.
Sorry but that wasn't a real question
mhdena likes this.
Old May 25, 2018, 1:54 pm

Sarcasm can not be seen by everyone. 😂
Old May 25, 2018, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by mhdena

Exactly, I'm interested in stories about people who are not MSing and getting a card maybe once every 60 days getting shut down.

People who take things to extreme levels are asking for trouble.

Since 5/24 my wife and I have each been taking a nearly 2 year break from churning while to other gets cards
Old May 27, 2018, 12:37 am

All accounts closed

I had Chase Slate with 8k for seven months and then applied for CSP approved 19k, I have 739 but a fragile history like two years max.
Persistently applied for BoA Cash Rewards and Business Travel both got approved, and then I challenged Chase Ink Business. After clicking apply button, that review window popped up saying it would take a month to decide.

About after a week all of sudden my accounts are closed.
Called them and they told me too many accounts and a short period of credit.

I explained them I make enough income to utilize them remarkably as it never hit 5% utilization on credit report even though considered high spending but made 100% on-time payment, before the statement date.

I'm not sure, but as I have a short credit history, it might help the reason of many cards as a newbie trying to build credit which explained the flagging trigger in a better way than I need money or points.

I have 2 of chases, 3 of boa, 1 of capital-one, 1 of Amex and extra 2 of shoppers credit cards.

She put me on hold for a couple of minutes to thoroughly read my credit report, and she could not find any other reason and said it does not make sense to her that my account was closed, then said she would do the reinstatement process, and I would receive a call regarding the restoration.

I asked her if I have another interview, but she said it would be just simple questions.

I said, thank you very much for the reinstatement, but she replied she is not sure yet. So I guess there will be another one who decides after this interview result.

She told me that they eventually close the account if someone opened four credit cards within a year but also said she does not think it is considered many but they do it.

So maybe there is another real factor that they do not share, which they don't care about many accounts (hopefully) but those account holders must do the credit report interview, so they have automatic account postponement trigger to check every single person.

I will post the result soon.. And I just received unusual Chase email next day, it contains No logo, No contact information, only three lines that look like someone just typed in, see below,

Your credit card payment is due in 10 days for your account ending in 70xx.

You can make a payment now by going to chase.com or in our app.

If you don't want to receive these alerts—or if you have any questions—you can update your settings or contact us at chase.com or in our app.
That's precisely entire 3 lines in the email, and it is also mentioned "10 days" lol, Does that mean they will consider how people react to that email? Should I pay now before they call? It's like $1000 altogether $250+$750, well I eventually was going to pay, but I also had $5000 purchases 2 months ago and paid in full before the statement. Or maybe that's automatic standard alert email just right on time. Does anyone know about that email?

Anyways, I saw all of the replies here in this Chase shutdown thread and the stories with excellent credit, I'm like an outsider compared to you guys. I started from $300 secured credit card at credit score 480 (I messed up everything at age 20-30), but during two years I removed all derogatory, and now I also have an ongoing personal loan, and car payments but never missed, so that helped me to get 739 quickly. I must get a declined call. But let's see.
Old May 27, 2018, 5:32 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
You write
Persistently applied for BoA Cash Rewards and Business Travel both got approved,

Do you want to indicate that you applied several times until you were approved?
how many hard pull did you have on you report
and how many new lines of credit (including car loan etc)
seandex likes this.
Old May 27, 2018, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by Blitzen; Blitzen29798402
You write
Persistently applied for BoA Cash Rewards and Business Travel both got approved,

Do you want to indicate that you applied several times until you were approved?
How many hard pull did you have on your report
and how many new lines of credit (including car loan etc.)
In credit karma report I have 8 hard pulls and 4 of them were last 6 months in 2018. But only two of them from credit card and other two were apartment credit check (I just cancelled the application I was working on for the better apartment, so there goes 2 hard pulls in the same week.). So just 2 hard pulls from credit cards this year. From BoA and Citi (home depot card.. It was totally unnecessary). And Chase never did a hard pull on me.

I almost got everything approved or raised. I was going to upgrade all of my cards or get new cards and I never thought this would hurt my credit.

Once I got Sapphire approved , I tried on Amex, also only Amex declined my platinum upgrades also another declined on blue.

I started self employed business early last yeyear, so got a personal loan plus car loan. About 9 months along with Amex gold.
Old May 27, 2018, 7:05 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by seandex
And Chase never did a hard pull on me.
Yes they did. They usually use Experian, which won't show up on Credit Karma because they use TransUnion and Equifax.
Diplomatico, blitzen and seandex like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.