Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official: UR hotel/airline xfer only to self/spouse/domestic partner

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 20, 2014, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
This thread is for discussion of issues with transfers of UR points to someone else's hotel or airline loyalty program account.

There is a separate thread to discuss transfers of UR points directly into someone else's UR account: Chase closed my Sapphire Preferred account due to transfers to other UR accounts.
Print Wikipost

Official: UR hotel/airline xfer only to self/spouse/domestic partner

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2013, 4:20 pm

Interesting data point:

When trying to do a CC trade, my trading partner was unable to transfer the points to my UA account. The sending just wouldn't go through.

Could also just be an IT issue, of course.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by Bttc
Interesting data point:

When trying to do a CC trade, my trading partner was unable to transfer the points to my UA account. The sending just wouldn't go through.

Could also just be an IT issue, of course.
I had this same problem. Worked the next day.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 6:58 am

Programs: A3 Gold (*A Gold), CC Gold
Transferring from one UR to another person's transfer partner account

I can't seem to find any info on this. I am a bit short for a reward and have a co-worker who is willing to transfer a small number of points into one of the transfer partners for UR. This wouldn't raise any red flags, right?

Searched and couldn't find anything. Thanks.

Last edited by LowlySpartan; Aug 6, 2013 at 7:28 am
Old Aug 6, 2013, 7:05 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by LowlySpartan
Searched and couldn't find anything.
I have appended your question to the established thread.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 7:23 am

Programs: A3 Gold (*A Gold), CC Gold
Originally Posted by mia
I have appended your question to the established thread.
Thank you. Not sure how I missed it.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 7:59 am
mia

In my experience it's easier to find a thread when you know for certain that it does exist than when you only think it should exist.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 1:27 pm

It seems this has gone on for a while and Chase is adopting the Amex policy of prohibiting it without strict enforcement. I know in the corporate world, it is very common for high-spending business account types to transfer points among themselves to help each other out. Chase may be hesitant to rock the boat on that if they've just recently stole some of that market from Amex.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 5:55 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by LowlySpartan
I can't seem to find any info on this. I am a bit short for a reward and have a co-worker who is willing to transfer a small number of points into one of the transfer partners for UR. This wouldn't raise any red flags, right?

Searched and couldn't find anything. Thanks.
You should be fine as long as you aren't doing an UR to UR transfer bunt instead a UR to travel partner transfer, though there aren't, of course, any guarantees. I've only ever read of problems from extensive UR account to UR account transfers.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 12:39 pm

Is transferring UR to United account of authorized user allowed?

I know that Chase frowns upon transferring UR points to airlines miles if the recipient is not you.

I have a Chase Ink card, and was wondering if it was allowed to transfer UR points to the frequent flyer account of my authorized users. Will I get shut down for this?
Old Sep 2, 2013, 1:33 pm
mia

A literal reading of the rule makes no exception for Authorized User airline, hotel or Amtrak accounts. However, there are no reports of adverse consequences when making such transfers.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:34 am

Programs: aadvantage
Is it fairly safe to assume that I can transfer UR points to a friends United account without issues? I know that it is only designed for spouse/partner but just wanted to see what others experiences have been.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by healthnut
If anything, I think this is also why the co-branded card works well sometimes with the CSP/Freedom. Unless I need points for SW/UA, I put all my Hyatt stays on the Hyatt Visa to get 8x+ points (5x Gold Passport + 3x CC points + 30% diamond bonus). Although the Hyatt Visa only gives 1x more, my multi-$1,000 stays can add up quickly. Not only that, but I can't beat the yearly free cat 1-4 night and often annual fee bonus of extra points. If I need extra points to book a Hyatt, I can simply transfer the excess points needed from my CSP to make do.

My parents do similar with the UA card because they do not have status and therefore have the Explorer so it can offset their baggage fees. Only charges to meet the bonus 10k points are placed on the card. Otherwise, the UA card is pretty pointless as the 2x is the same with the CSP (like you said!).
Yeah, the Sapphire in combination with other cards is definitely useful too. I was just answering the question of why to get a Sapphire if you only plan to transfer to one partner. Another obvious reason I missed: Signup bonus.

Originally Posted by ramosz83
Is it fairly safe to assume that I can transfer UR points to a friends United account without issues? I know that it is only designed for spouse/partner but just wanted to see what others experiences have been.
I have done it in the past, to a friend and to my parents, but that was before they started cracking down on card-to-card UR point transfers. I don't know that I'd do it today. Chase is too good to me with regards to credit card rewards, and I don't want to do anything to risk that.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 3:06 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Don't do it if you don't want to risk being shut down. You may get away with it, but there are enough stories here on FT that should make you think twice. A big warning message pops up when you transfer to United, I would be careful.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 7:05 am

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
I don't think it is obvious to Chase whether or not someone is your domestic partner when you transfer to their partner account. Chase will see the name of the recipient, but that isn't enough information for them to know who if they are a domestic partner. And reports on the blogs/forums seem to indicate that people are not having problems with such transfers. So I agree that it is fairly safe, although personally I've chosen not to risk it.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M

I would also like to know if anyone has got in trouble for this. My step-brother who is new to these things is thinking of transferring points to my UA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.