Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

IHG Rewards Visa/MC, currently 60K, possibly 80K, pts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
For the current version of this thread & related wiki, see

IHG Rewards MasterCard (2016).
Print Wikipost

IHG Rewards Visa/MC, currently 60K, possibly 80K, pts

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2013, 3:52 pm

Heelp! I was denied for this card, and I just got off the phone with the reconsideration line and was told that I had opened too many accounts recently (she included a Barclay's card, which I didn't realize was Chase...?). I opened two Chase accounts in the past 6 months, and one Barclay's. Any new angle I should approach to calling the recon line again, or should I just give up and let this one go? Also, how will this affect future applications with Chase? Thanks!
Old Sep 9, 2013, 4:21 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by LikeVines
... I had opened too many accounts recently (she included a Barclay's card, which I didn't realize was Chase...?).
Barclays is not Chase. Any issuer can see all of your personal accounts from all issuers by looking at your credit report.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 12:06 pm

Heelp! I was denied for this card, and I just got off the phone with the reconsideration line and was told that I had opened too many accounts recently (she included a Barclay's card, which I didn't realize was Chase...?). I opened two Chase accounts in the past 6 months, and one Barclay's. Any new angle I should approach to calling the recon line again, or should I just give up and let this one go? Also, how will this affect future applications with Chase? Thanks!
Your biggest problem is trying to get 3 Chase cards within 6 months. Chase sometimes doesn't even like 2 in that period, 3 definitely sends up the red flag with them.

Did you offer to shift credit lines when you called recon? Why don't you offer that. Otherwise, I think you should cool it with Chase for 6 months from your last application.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 6:41 am

Your biggest problem is trying to get 3 Chase cards within 6 months. Chase sometimes doesn't even like 2 in that period, 3 definitely sends up the red flag with them.
Oop! Didn't know that. I'll definitely avoid Chase for a while! Thanks for the advice!
Old Sep 11, 2013, 2:54 pm

Programs: WFBF, Marriott Titanium
Another data point: Originally denied for the card. Called up the reconsideration line and apparently they pulled a dud report (as in, I know on my last credit reports that all 3 agencies had all my credit accounts listed, but when they originally pulled, only one showed up). A different agency showed my actual history and I was approved and confirmed the 80,000 point bonus.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Please see my post in this thread to avoid redundancy. Also, I completely disagree that 2 cards in 6 months is too much with Chase. I've often applied for 2 Chase cards at once and gotten them, but that, of course, depends on many other factors.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 3:17 pm
Suspended

3 cards in 6 months is too much? Not for me...

Immediate approvals for Hyatt card and IHG within last 6 months. Approved for CSP after recon. Apps spaced about 2 months apart.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by mtbmtb01
Got the card probably about 2 years ago. Kept it the first year but cancelled before the second annual fee was due (probably about 4 months ago). had one for me and the wife and our trip to miami and key west was free stays at the z and the la concha crown plazas. very happy with both. just was before the rates went up.
i'm wondering if i could churn and get the bonus again. Know it's been asked before, but does anybody know if you can get the bonus again and how long the wait is?
fyi...i was able to churn the Marriott card. No free night, but did get the 70k points again after cancelling the first Marriott card about 9 months before applying again.
BINGO!!!
got the points for my card and my wife's so we are both Membership Level:
Platinum with over 100k points each. so you can churn these. not sure on the exact time limit you have to wait.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:57 pm

Programs: All of em...
Originally Posted by mtbmtb01
BINGO!!!
got the points for my card and my wife's so we are both Membership Level:
Platinum with over 100k points each. so you can churn these. not sure on the exact time limit you have to wait.
So you got the card a little over 2 years ago... canceled like 5 months ago, and just got the bonus again?

Very nice. Seems to line up w/my Chase thoughts (cards can be churned every 18-24 months, some instantly).
Old Sep 12, 2013, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by mnscout
Please see my post in this thread to avoid redundancy. Also, I completely disagree that 2 cards in 6 months is too much with Chase. I've often applied for 2 Chase cards at once and gotten them, but that, of course, depends on many other factors.
WOW THANKS!!! So much wisdom on FT, absolutely love it.

Also, sorry for the redundancy! I try my best, but sometimes it's hard to find things even with the search. Will try harder next time heh.

Last edited by LikeVines; Sep 12, 2013 at 5:49 am Reason: Extra note
Old Sep 12, 2013, 9:44 am
Suspended

The points are nice (80k is nothing to sneeze at)...but, the value in this card, to me, is the free annual night at any IHG hotel for a measly $49. That alone can be around $600 value (looking at IC Amstel currently).

I'd consider canceling and reapplying for a bonus if I knew how long I'd have to wait between closing and reapplying. As long as it's just speculation, I'm keeping the card open.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 2:39 pm

Nooo, okay, I guess I'll add my data point that I was officially denied, which is a shame. I'm very sad. But I think I made a few newbie mistakes like waiting too long to call the reconsideration line. Also, probably if I wasn't being a bit greedy, I would have waited to apply for this card. The rep even said something like they've already given me more credit than they should have in my situation. Oops.

Anyways, can anyone comment how a CC denial will affect future applications with Chase and/or other banks? How long should I wait before applying for other Chase cards and/or reapplying for this card? How long should I wait before applying for ANY other CC with other banks? Thanks!
Old Sep 12, 2013, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pricesquire
The points are nice (80k is nothing to sneeze at)...but, the value in this card, to me, is the free annual night at any IHG hotel for a measly $49. That alone can be around $600 value (looking at IC Amstel currently).

I'd consider canceling and reapplying for a bonus if I knew how long I'd have to wait between closing and reapplying. As long as it's just speculation, I'm keeping the card open.
OT

Just used the cert at IC Amstel in August.

Old Grand Dame hotel, spacious room in very old fashion style. Multiple pieces of small furniture in the room with mini-bar / decorative items filled up all the surfaces essentially leaving NO ROOM for your own stuff... Very annoying.

Check-in process is good but slow. There are only 2 desks for check-in so can only handle 2 groups of guests at any given time.

Gym has a swimming pool where there are some complementary coffee / tea / water as well as fruits / energy mix.

It is a good use of certs if you happen to be visiting Amsterdam and have the cert to use. Need to book early as hotel has only 78 rooms which of course only very small portion is available for award booking.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nooo, okay, I guess I'll add my data point that I was officially denied, which is a shame. I'm very sad. But I think I made a few newbie mistakes like waiting too long to call the reconsideration line. Also, probably if I wasn't being a bit greedy, I would have waited to apply for this card. The rep even said something like they've already given me more credit than they should have in my situation. Oops.

Anyways, can anyone comment how a CC denial will affect future applications with Chase and/or other banks? How long should I wait before applying for other Chase cards and/or reapplying for this card? How long should I wait before applying for ANY other CC with other banks? Thanks!
It depends on many factors. I was denied a Chase UA business card because of too many new CCs but then was approved a couple weeks later for a Chase business Ink Bold card. I assume it was because they are managed by different departments.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 4:18 pm
Suspended

Newbie mistake. That being said, relax. Everyone here (if they're being honest) has probably made a similar mistake. I myself did the same thing with Chase. This is my first year of churning. First Hyatt card. Two months later IHG. Two months later CSP.

My advice is an either/or situation: either (1) wait a few months and stop applying to cards--show Chase they can make money off you (I myself didn't listen to this advice); (2) call recon again. I called recon three times before I got a rep willing to give me the CSP.

Oh, and read the Wiki/thread on Applying For Chase Cards.

Last edited by pricesquire; Sep 12, 2013 at 4:31 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.